Thailand 'Not Ready' For Online Lottery Tickets: Official

snoop1130

Thailand 'Not Ready' For Online Lottery Tickets: Official

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

13421587951342158852l-696x465.jpg

Worshipers pray to a “sacred tree” trunk in search for lucky lottery number on July 14, 2012, in Prachuap Khiri Khan province

BANGKOK — When the first amendments in 40 years come to the national lottery, they won’t immediately include online ticket sales, but open the door to big changes to how jackpots pay out.

While newly approved amendments leave the door open for direct online ticket sales down the road, Government Lottery Office spokesman Thanawat Pholvichai said the tech won’t be implemented any time soon.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2018/04/19/thailand-not-ready-for-online-lottery-tickets-official/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-4-19
  • Sad 1

Well their goes Thailand 4

There not poor they only need to sell 200 at 25 bht profit of 5000 (maybe they sell more )

Then of all things you have an ex Finance minister buying one for 100 bht & not doing anything about it

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

So it's nothing to do with the rich middlemen losing out, who buy the tickets off the Government to sell to these sellers, making a small fortune for themselves for doing very little, apart from being rich ? 

Well said.

It was actually mulled over years ago to sell tickets without the middlemen, I actually know a gentleman involved in the feasibility study.

As stated, this will never happen.

The technology is readily available and at one time a prior Thai Government actually signed an agreement with a foreign government to set up a computerized lottery. It  never went through due to protests by vendors; middlemen and others.  The underground lottery is actually more popular and pays of without any problem. Of course, a computerized official lottery with vast ticket sales and increased winnings would put the underground lottery out of business.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, inactiveposter said:

And everything was in place

Yes I remember reading about that..the machines are probably gathering dust somewhere

but now it seems the "government"  favors China..so Alibaba can  have a go this time ?

5 minutes ago, mok199 said:

they said that about the ''ping pong ball show'' 30 years ago......

You have to be more specific. 

Which kind of ping pong ball show?   The every night on Soi Cowboy kind, or the Wednesday night church BINGO kind?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Reminds me of the movie, The Island (2005).

I don't buy lottery anyone as after watching the movie realised that The Island is not real. I.e. Your chances of winning big are 1 in a gajillion.

The odds are even greater if you drop your tickets on the street and they are "found" up by an ex-policeman.

• Like 1

Perhaps putting up with the fairly loathsome business practices of the middlemen is the price to pay for giving 200, 000 or so often unemployable people the chance to earn a living?

18 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Well their goes Thailand 4

There not poor they only need to sell 200 at 25 bht profit of 5000 (maybe they sell more )

Then of all things you have an ex Finance minister buying one for 100 bht & not doing anything about it

i, recently have been charged 100 for a ticket ......when it clearly states 80 for the ticket...WHY??

Also many vendors are NOW selling SETS...which can be 2 for 200....3 for 300 and do on.

Who is out there controlling these vendors?? 
NO ONE is the answer

I will only pay 80 for a single ticket these days and NOT get ripped of by these evil people

26 minutes ago, essox essox said:

i, recently have been charged 100 for a ticket ......when it clearly states 80 for the ticket...WHY??

Also many vendors are NOW selling SETS...which can be 2 for 200....3 for 300 and do on.

Who is out there controlling these vendors?? 
NO ONE is the answer

I will only pay 80 for a single ticket these days and NOT get ripped of by these evil people

Be careful who you refer to as loathesome.  The issue came to a head (another of many) a few years back.  The problem is that all of the tickets are sold to a few powerful families, who mark them up and sell them to the vendors.  Only some of them get sold to others, who sell them to others, who sell them to the vendors.  By that time, the street vendors themselves may be paying more than the face value.  The poor street vendors, many of whom are disabled and have virtually zero other employment prospects, cannot make any money if they sell them at face value.

Basically, the system is corrupt to the core.  The vendors we see aren't at the root of the evil.  They're just the public face of it.

Edited by impulse