True Move can take my money. How is this legal?

giddyup

I top up my True Move account at a 7/11, but if I don't use all that money before the end of 3 months, True just takes it. Admittedly they send out a text message advising when it expires, but sometimes I miss that message only to find my account emptied. How can this be legal? I have used True for the last 8 years, since I arrived in Thailand, and it used to be that you had 12 months to use whatever money you topped up, now it's 3 months. Time to change providers I think.

Terms change.. and by using them again you accept their updated policy. That is how it is done all over the world. I often get updates of policy from service providers (guess what they never change for the better).

I do wonder what you signed up to (doubt you really signed up for anything as you got a pre paid not post paid account). Not sure you need to sign up for pre paid (you do have to provide some details)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Terms change.. and by using them again you accept their updated policy. That is how it is done all over the world. I often get updates of policy from service providers (guess what they never change for the better).

I do wonder what you signed up to (doubt you really signed up for anything as you got a pre paid not post paid account). Not sure you need to sign up for pre paid (you do have to provide some details)

I used to pay at the 7/11 whenever money got low, still do, but as I said, they have introduced this new policy without me signing anything. Legal or not, it's certainly unethical. I dropped True internet because of their steam roller tactics, time to lose their mobile service as well.

• Like 2

Just now, giddyup said:

I used to pay at the 7/11 whenever money got low, still do, but as I said, they have introduced this new policy without me signing anything. Legal or not, it's certainly unethical. I dropped True internet because of their steam roller tactics, time to lose their mobile service as well.

I agree its unethical, but I can assure you it is legal. I am also not sure that what you have can't be changed at any time. I mean they update prices and such so its not as if your first contract does not allow for any changes. 

I am not sure how other providers do it, i got a post paid account on name of a Thai person. It was just easier for me.

• Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

I agree its unethical, but I can assure you it is legal. I am also not sure that what you have can't be changed at any time. I mean they update prices and such so its not as if your first contract does not allow for any changes. 

I am not sure how other providers do it, i got a post paid account on name of a Thai person. It was just easier for me.

By introducing this new policy they are basically saying that I'm not spending my mobile money fast enough, so the penalty is that they will just take it. Disgusting. Time to lose True mobile as I have done with their cable service (did that after 6 months) and their internet service.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

By introducing this new policy they are basically saying that I'm not spending my mobile money fast enough, so the penalty is that they will just take it. Disgusting. Time to lose True mobile as I have done with their cable service (did that after 6 months) and their internet service.

They just want you to top up more frequent with smaller amounts.. that would keep the number alive too. But sure they are in the business of making money. If you don't use their service enough then yea.. they don't want you.

To be honest i believe this is with other providers too, but just look around. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It wasn't in their policy when I signed up 8 years ago, and I don't recall signing up for any changes since then. A company using those kind of tactics wouldn't last 5 minutes in a western country, but then True is renowned for it's heavy-handed policies.

When it comes to taking your money without notice, tricking you into signing up then changing terms and conditions to make them much more unfavorable, True is a bunch of amateurs compared to Verizon, AT&T, and other US providers.

• Thanks 1

Before changing providers, check their terms & conditions too. This limited time policy on pre-paid accounts are quite common in most countries - the period varies between companies.

I too changed from True to AIS

Edited by ravip
Add

3 hours ago, mentalcolonization said:

I use Dtac, your money stays in your account until the next top up. 

For how long?

For example if you top up 50 BAHT on January 1st, 2018 will it last till January 1st, 2019 if you dont use or top up?

i used to have this issue having to top up in spite of having thousands of baht in the phone already. eventually i went to a shop, told them about it,

and they fixed it by making a top up for every month for the following year or so,

not sure how they fixed it but i just paid a few coins to have it done. that was on 1-2 call but i think it will work with any setup

Edited by poanoi

5 minutes ago, mentalcolonization said:

Yes. Even if your line is disconnected. I was out for over 8 months and when i top up my previous balance was still available plus you can still extend your validity period on dtac online when your session is expired. I think it costs like 6 baht a month. you just need to login and get your subscription to the network available

That's pretty cool

I would ring TrueMove H, or stop by a fuller-service shop, and inquire about your situation. There may be some misunderstanding on True's part, and/or yours?

Expiry extension is based on top-up activity, so most amounts yield an additional 30 days out to a maximum of 365 days. And the expiry is rolling for the total balance. Some older promotions/SIM packages did have unusual terms, like 90 max expiry. And some plans have a usage requirement in 90 days.

I think you can also purchase expiry extension for 2 baht/30 days.

Or just do 12 top-ups for 10 baht each at a Boonterm machine (12 baht each with the fee, for 144 baht, and 120 baht usable balance).

All that said, we'd need to see details on your top-up activity. If your last top-up activity was 90 days ago, and you only had 90 days expiry then it makes sense that your balance might expire at day 91. 

There may be NBTC 'regulations' which preclude the operator's ability to invalidate your account, and/or seize your remaining balance. And you may have rights to re-activate an expired account within some prescribed time period. But the operator also needs a way to recycle unused numbers, or they will run out of them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, singhajim said:

Limited time expiry is common, e.g. Vodafone in UK. Troll post or chap does not get out and about much.

Correct, I don't have any dealings with Vodaphone UK, but then why would I, I live in Thailand and have done for nearly 9 years. BTW, have a look at my post count and then yours and see who might be a troll.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Easy there a code you can put in your phone that adds months for 1or 2 bht per month I do it all the time

A code for True, what is it? Never mind, just found it. It gives an extra 30 days.

Edited by giddyup

Hi  This policy, usually with Pre-Paid, is all over the World, Eg. Virgin in the UK do the same... Here in LoS AIS has a special type of 12 month pre-paid, but MUST activate it at Telewiz shop OR online AIS operator... otherwise, after 3 months of not using, the balance is taken 

Some years ago I changed from 1 to call to DTAC because they did give you a year to go away and still and keep your number. 1 to call cancelled my phone after 1  month without a top up. I dont know how that works now since I live here now.  I know I was able to keep my number with DTAC which was the important thing for me but am not sure about residual credit 6 or 12 months later.  Hopefully they do not all do the same trick.  Ask each provider before changing.  It was said that Mr Coleman made his money out of the mustard left on the side of your plate, not what you ate.

Edited by The Deerhunter

With TrueMove when you dial *934*90# it will add 90 days to the expiry date for 6 baht I think.

If you dial *934*180# it will add 180 days (12 baht).

After doing this you receive a confirmation SMS with the new expiry date and balance. I haven't done it recently so I don't know if it is still available.

The expiry date can not be extended more then a year, let's say if the expiry date is in 10 months and you add 3 months, you will get only 2 months added.

Edited by Zyxel

16 minutes ago, Zyxel said:

With TrueMove when you dial *934*90# it will add 90 days to the expiry date for 6 baht I think.

After doing this you receive a confirmation SMS with the new expiry date and balance. I haven't done it recently so I don't know if it is still available.

The expiry date can not be extended more then a year, let's say if the expiry date is in 10 months and you add 3 months, you will get only 2 months added.

Thanks, good to know.

Tried the 180 days, received a sms that they added 180 days... but expiry date is 21/7/2018 if I check with *123#? Strange...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk