Getting married in Thailand

remobb

Hi, I have tried to find the answer to my question but have not found it so I am asking here. The story in short, to get my son's passport I need to legitimize my son, he was born in 2001 so the 2006 rules apply. He has a Thai mother and we are not married (as yet after 20 years together). So the question; I know what docs I need and have them. Do we have to go to her Amphur / Province to register the marriage or can this be done in any Amphor / Province as I live and work in Bangkok? 

Another question, by getting married would this then legitimize my son? I can't seem to get a straight answer from the powers to be.

I would appreciate it if you didn't go into the why bother etc. I just need plain simple answers if you are in the know.

Thank you for your sensible replies.

5 minutes ago, remobb said:

Another question, by getting married would this then legitimize my son?

Yes CCC 1547 applies

( A child born of the parents who are not married to each other is legitimate by the subsequent marriage of the parents, or by the registration made on application by the father, or by a judgment of the Court.)

2 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

Yes CCC 1547 applies

( A child born of the parents who are not married to each other is legitimate by the subsequent marriage of the parents, or by the registration made on application by the father, or by a judgment of the Court.)

Thanks ThaidDown, appreciate your reply.

Since your son is well over 7 years old you could legitimize your parenthood at an Amphoe. 

It is a fairly easy process to do at a Amphoe. I suggest you have your partner check with an Amphoe as to what they require,

On 4/22/2018 at 11:50 AM, ubonjoe said:

Since your son is well over 7 years old you could legitimize your parenthood at an Amphoe. 

It is a fairly easy process to do at a Amphoe. I suggest you have your partner check with an Amphoe as to what they require,

Hi ubonjoe, thanks for your info. I think that applies to Thailand but is it accepted by the British embassy in relation to getting a passport for my son?

Does anyone have any experience with the affirmation to marry?

On the form downloaded from the embassy website there is a clause regarding dependents. I or should I say we and the intended have a son 17 years old (we have been together for 20 years) On the form it just says I don't have any dependents (Marital Status DIVORCED and I have no dependants from my previous marriage (or) previous/current relationships) Should I leave this or should I declare 1 dependent? If so what information should I include on the affirmation?

My feeling is I should declare him but as I said I don't know what info to give. Just say 1 and leave it at that or give name, D.of B. etc. Currently he is Thai so has a Thai ID card, should I give this info too. 

Just too much!

Thanks.