Comment: Pattaya branded 'sleazy den of sin' in wake of orgy scandal - give Pattaya and the rest of us a break!

snoop1130

6 hours ago, tropo said:

Swinging (sex) parties are common in all major cities around Australia. You could probably find a party every night of the week.

I think it may be the same in Europe if you know where to look.

I lived in Copenhagen for many years and they had sex clubs there. There was even a documentary on television where they filmed inside.

The clubs were openly advertised in the newspapers.

Also you would often see adverts for weekend sex parties.

No one took any notice.

It's no worse than any other capitol city in the world, not that Pattaya is although being a city ................ if you wish to seek out this form of activity it's everywhere! I think the media is the "scourge" of society ...... anything to do with sex will sell newspapers. It's about time the general public woke up to this & voted with their feet & refused to read this trash ................... give me a break please! This is not headline news ........ neither is it worth the paper it's printed on ..... fact.

Edited by Daveyh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This to me, the original raid and local reporting afterwards, was a big mistake if the object of this was to deter sex visitors to Pattaya. It could very easy turn 180 degrees, and is in fact broadcasting the availability of these 'services to the very group of people the crackdown is trying to prevent. Now it's gone global, being hyped in the usual media rags, the potential customer base is huge.

No publicity is bad publicity when talking about taboo subjects....................:thumbsup:  

7 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

This to me, the original raid and local reporting afterwards, was a big mistake if the object of this was to deter sex visitors to Pattaya. It could very easy turn 180 degrees, and is in fact broadcasting the availability of these 'services to the very group of people the crackdown is trying to prevent. Now it's gone global, being hyped in the usual media rags, the potential customer base is huge.

No publicity is bad publicity when talking about taboo subjects....................:thumbsup:  

The object of the reporting of the raid was merely to get some police general/colonel/major/captain/lieutenant/sergent/corporal/'s names up in lights.

They were getting mighty jealous of 'Big Joke' and his sense of theatre.

Nothing like arresting foreigners these days for plenty of cheap publicity.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tropo said:

Swinging (sex) parties are common in all major cities around Australia. You could probably find a party every night of the week.

I actually know a couple who come over here and indulge in it , found out purely by accident ,they still do not know that the wife and i know ,:smile:

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well done Rooster. I appreciate your efforts to stand up for Pattaya. Those of us who live here, know the reality and 95% or more of that printed in tabloids is garbage, miles from the mark.

No, it's not.

Why are you lying to yourself, like those posters living in Chiang Mai claiming the outstanding quality of live.

I go to Pattaya twice a month. If it wasn't only 2 hours from Bangkok and cheap 4-5 star hotels, I'd go elsewhere..... and now I actually do. Sri Racha. The hotels are full of horez. So, you are denying this?

51 minutes ago, Daveyh said:

It's no worse than any other capitol city in the world, not that Pattaya is although being a city ................ if you wish to seek out this form of activity it's everywhere! I think the media is the "scourge" of society ...... anything to do with sex will sell newspapers. It's about time the general public woke up to this & voted with their feet & refused to read this trash ................... give me a break please! This is not headline news ........ neither is it worth the paper it's printed on ..... fact.

I dunno, it would be hard to find the level of debauchery in London that you find in walking Street. My main gripe with it is the human trafficking and under age girls being sold out. Not only that, just the mentality of the foreigners who go to the main areas is disgusting, and one can feel it in the atmosphere there. People can try and paint it any which way that they want, Pattaya is listed as the sex capital of the world, as well as the pedophile capital of the world. 

2 hours ago, leggo said:

I first came to Pattaya thirty years ago and it was a cesspit then! I was last there five years ago and it was way way worse. So things must have changed a lot since then! While I appreciate the media exaggerates I can't abide all those low life who cannot see that under age girls are sold by mafiaosa on the streets is just not acceptable ( of course it happens elsewhere too. ) But those who defend Pattaya are often the same men who are called ' handsome man' and are completely blind to every thing else including the fifthy beaches, jetski scams and the disgusting state of the sea which is full of rubbish. Cess pit is the perfect description!

Well i first came here 25 years ago ,and it was far sleazier then ,with young girls working in bars , same as Bangkok , you never see that now ,as to the mafiosa selling young girls on the streets , don't know what you have been smoking ,but it certainly gives you  hallucinations . yes i defend Pattaya ,and no i am not a "hansome man" just an ordinary family man who shops in Big c and helps the wife when she does the garden , by the way whats a "fifthy beach" never go there lol.

• Like 1

I read the article in the UK Daily Mail, and it wasn't hyperbole. The pictures of the ugly foreigners and their prostitutes were not fabricated. Pattaya has an image problem. Time to clean the place up or it will continue to have these negative reports.

Edited by geriatrickid

The police by itself with their stupid crackdowns for anything that is not a crime...They ruin the reputation of thailand and especially on tourist sports.

Better they do their job and take care the people of Thailand and all the foreigners visting the country. They have to do their duty and not try to get their faces into a camera!!!!!!!!!!! 

8 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

I read the article in the UK Daily Mail, and it wasn't hyperbole. The pictures of the fat middle aged and older males and their prostitutes wasn't fabricated. This is how the rest of the world sees and knows Pattaya.  Clean the place up and shut down the sex tourism.

Shutting down sex tourism in Pattaya would have the same affect as shutting down gambling in Vegas.

Tumbleweeds would be rolling down beach road in 30 days. All the goods and services shops and factories will shutter because there  will be  no people left to buy anything both Thais and foreigners alike. No sex. no foreign men +Thais leave = no Pattaya. It will go back to being a sleepy fishing port with a few Thai's sleeping on hammocks.  Eventually everything goes full circle.

Edited by lanista
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Last year I visited friends and families in England. One of my oldest friends, known him from school, told me that in Thailand, one is never more than 200 yards away from the nearest brothel, and he was describing the whole of Thailand, not just Pattaya, although he`s never visited Thailand.

But this is a general western perspective of the country, including that it`s dangerous, HIV and aids is rampant, disease ridden, and extremely backward, mainly contributed by exaggerated media reports and how Thailand has been portrayed in films and on the social media. Australia is the worse for spreading denigrate publicity about Thailand. 

This is a bad reputation that refuses to budge and doubt it will ever change in my lifetime.

And the “silver lining”.... maybe putting some off from coming. More enjoyable for those here who have made it our home 555 ... what a “retirement home”!!!

• Like 1

The 'Pattaya' all these foreign media harp about is just a tiny geographical point in the map of the city. Pattaya is bigger than that and, away from the throbbing electronic dance music, go-go bars, glaringly-pulsating LED lights and roadside/beachside scams, it really isn't such a bad place. I have friends living in Pattaya and the places they have brought me to to eat and chill are really nice - just like other nice parts of the Kingdom. The usual Thai charm and hospitality reappears once one is removed from the aforementioned cutthroat world that is 'Pattaya' to most ignorant foreigners. Branding Pattaya a 'sleazy den of sin' is like saying the whole of Amsterdam is a cesspit of gyrating leather-clad bodies pumped-up with legal drugs. Which it is not. For the record, I've never been to Amsterdam but in today's digital age, all you need is to search with some relevant words and a few mouse-clicks and all the information will be there. Not that these reporters bothered with any research, for a start. I know what these media are doing - click-baiting. Which is why nowadays I go to other channels for news, while the 'mainstream' media is where I go to for some brainless entertainment.

Journalists and editors of mainstream media used to be respected figures. There are still some good ones left but the rest are just irrelevant dinosaurs grasping at straws. In a content-driven world, click-baiting is a dying trend. People look for news and stories with a different angle. That's where the audience is. You think agencies are stupid enough to believe you have a click-rate or page-view of more than 100,000 a day, when they (these agencies) also have apps that could tell that the average visitor stayed no more than three seconds on your site/page? Why do you think advertisers are shying away from 'mainstream' media and putting their money elsewhere? For one, you guys aren't really 'mainstream' anymore.

So dear editors and journalists, use your skills to tell proper stories that people want to read. Resorting to quick-fixes like click-baiting and sensationalism isn't going to cut it in the fast-paced digital world of today. Either you get on the fastlane of this trend i.e. become relevant again, or stop by the side and retire. Move to Pattaya, while you're at it. Many of your kind there. Like whales washed ashore, they are happy (and I am sure you will be too) to tell, in a state of semi-drunken stupor, just before lunchtime, whoever is willing to listen how they (or you) were once great. How is that for some stereotyping? 

Edited by outsider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Justfine said:

Stereo types exist for a reason. It's the sex capital of Asia.

I am in doubt if that is so.

Stereotypes exist because the press, mostly, don't do good research about things, just rehash old rehashed stories to be able to fill pages and sell some paper.

In fact, all this nonsense has been started by the Thai police.

If they had not, probably accidently, stumbled on this party and made a "foreigner bashing" story out of it, there would not have been this stupidity of foreign newspaper that should do their own research, preferably in their own backyard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah.  People are idiots, and usually the ones that never traveled make up the worse stuff.  The nutty miserable old neighbor next to my Mom's place here in the USA when he heard I had come back from Thailand, all that came out of his mouth was questions about kiddie sex.  Just amazing what people will latch on to.

'Stupid' is the word I'll use. When friends from abroad find out I've been residing in Thailand, the first things they will say are 'the girls there are hot', followed by 'I bet you party every night at all those go-go bars' and sometimes 'How much are those soapy body-to-body massages?'. I can't imagine how boring their lives could be if that's all there is inside their heads. To be fair, the mass media isn't helping, and there is still a large collection of tourists coming here for that 'girlfriend experience' but given the information that is out there today, it isn't hard to understand that there is more to Thailand than go-go bars and soapy massages.

I have lived here for 10+ years. I sincerely do not look at Thailand as a sex entertainment world. It is one of the few places on earth that I (older man) can go out and talk to lovely ladies, play pool, and have fun. what is wrong with that. I have many friends who seldom bar-fine ladies. if they do, they are already good friends with them and it is really no one's business what they do. This is to me is the real Thailand.