SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are a lot of positives and negatives about living in Thailand.   We can't list all the concerns, but feel free to make a comment about what you consider to be the biggest drawback.  

For those listing 'other', please leave a comment and we can do a poll at a later date to look at what are the biggest concerns of our members.  

Visa and work permit issues is the biggest drawback for me and makes me wish to move to EU, where those can be avoided. 

Perhaps Thailand could adapt visa / permission of stay style from Hong Kong, where the extension to stay time increases the longer one has been in the country. That would let foreigners to think Thailand as a new permanent home country, rather than just a place to visit for an while. 

For example, visas could be granted:

First 1 year then 3 years, 5 years and finally permanent residency. 

Visas are a pain and the pay for jobs, even skilled positions, is awful.

Thailand and Bangkok tries to be like New York/London/Monaco/Vancouver with the Thai Elite Visa Program/that condo purchase campaign they have going on that gets you a 20 year Elite membership without offering anything the western countries have such as political stability, stable currency, the rule of law, business investment potential, or a high-end passport.  NYC is far from being pristine but you could eat off those streets compared to Bangkok.  If I were rich I wouldn't even dream of living there, I'd much rather be in Manhattan, Calabasas, or zone 1 London instead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

Boy, this one is a real toss up.

Visa issued immediately come to mind.  Where else in the world can you be married to a citizen of the country and have absolutely no path to permanent residency, naturalization, or citizenship?  It's tough.  And if your spouse dies, marriage over, and the extended family you have been supporting become a non-family by legal decree.  Marriage gives you no rights to pursue happiness within the family unit, or a job, or a means of support unlike the West and most other countries around the world - developed and otherwise.

But then we have the things that are not good for your health: choking air pollution, especially in the North, for two to three months out of the year; the number 1 most dangerous roads in the entire world; a highly xenophobic society that barely tolerates foreigners;  and a society where violence is only held in check by the thinnest veneer of social customs, and when that veneer cracks, what emerges is ugly, vile, and dangerous; a place where playing contract bridge or throwing darts, or owning the 'wrong' set of playing cards can get you arrested and tossed into jail.  TIT.  Amazing Thailand. 

Don't get me wrong.  The positives outweigh the negatives.  Otherwise I wouldn't be living here.  But every year the negative keep piling up.  Hopefully in my life-time, the scales don't tip the opposite way.  :sleep:

Nailed it Connda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cornishcarlos said:

What is stopping you applying for PR or even citizenship ??

You have to be a taxpayer in Thailand to do so and as was mentioned jobs are not that well paid or easy to get for farangs.

23 minutes ago, masuk said:

1)  The constant pollution in Chiang Mai province.  Every flat surface in my condo has a layer of dust/ash on it each morning. This is what we're breathing, 24 / 7.

2)  The high costs of prescription medicine.  Something to be taken into account for those planning to retire in Thailand is that there is no NHS for non-Thais.  This includes visits to the GP, Pathology tests, prescribed medicine.  

I don't think that medicine is more expensive than anywhere in Europe, for example.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

I don't think that medicine is more expensive than anywhere in Europe, for example.

In those countries which have NHS, prescription medicine is subsidised.     e.g. "lipitor" in Thailand costs B1900 for a 30 day supply.   In Australia it is B235.00.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1