Declaring Cash In Excess of USD 15,000 - Primer

Thanks!

Did you get any sleep during the flight or were your eyes always on the cash? The last time I did similar, but for a lesser amount, the loss of sleep and anxiety invalidated the worth of carrying large amounts of cash.

• Haha 1

blackcab - excellent report, thanks so much for this

Often see questions on travel forums about taking cash across borders and it always seems to be met with alarm balls and scaremongering

In my line of work I have also had to carry large cash amounts in and out of various countries - all for legitimate reasons - and the procedure is straight forward and seamless if the rules are followed

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, blackcab said:

There were no questions at all. No questions about the source of the money, no questions about supporting documentation, no questions about the intended use of the money. Nothing.

"There were no questions at all. No questions about the source of the money..."

Really?  What about the section on the form that asked for details of the source of the cash?

6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"There were no questions at all. No questions about the source of the money..."

Really?  What about the section on the form that asked for details of the source of the cash?

In the primer I was referring to verbal questions from the staff member who handled the report. To clarify, I was not asked any verbal questions about the written answer I gave.

For people exporting their own cash, there are not many answers that you can write on the form. 1. Cash previously imported to Thailand; 2. Inheritance; 3. Gift; 4. State Lottery Winning - I can't think of any other reasons. I think most people would be in the first category, with the least people being in the fourth category.

You could, of course, also be exporting the currency on behalf of a company you work for and which you have a work permit.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2018 at 7:42 PM, simoh1490 said:

Thanks!

Did you get any sleep during the flight or were your eyes always on the cash? The last time I did similar, but for a lesser amount, the loss of sleep and anxiety invalidated the worth of carrying large amounts of cash.

Aahhh....bless your cotton socks.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

like what? i can't think of one legitimate reason to carry 45,000 USD. unless he is a gambler.

Well you'll have to just keep guessing then.  I regularly had to carry in cash in sums up to USD$100,000 in cash in a previous job, and the reasons were legitimate, valid, and accepted by arrivals officials without any query.  My paperwork was complete and totally above board

• Like 2

On 5/1/2018 at 6:25 AM, siamcrut said:

Thanks for this interesting report.
I do wonder if everything would be so smooth with 100.000 $ or more?

I'm surprised it was that easy.

About 15 - 20 years ago I was carrying less than 10k cash - don't recall exactly but more than 5k.

I'm a US citizen and was traveling within the US.

I had it in a money belt concealed and the zipper was metal and the wand detected it.

I did go into an area where they closed a curtain and one guy counted it in front of me, asked me why I was carrying it although it's legal (theoretically) to carry any amount of cash on domestic flights without declaring, called their bosses, and then I got the go ahead and was allowed to proceed.

One difference is mine was hidden and yours was declared. And I'll assume you are associated with a company as you mentioned a previous job where you carried cash.

However as mentioned mine did not have to be declared.

I was flying out of a small regional US airport so perhaps that played a part.

From everything I've read it's much much worse now, but you clearly gave them reasons that they bought.

EDIT - BTW very informative post, thank you.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Blackcab, I have downloaded the Declaration form from your link. Stupid question but will ask anyway. Is the form the same one to use when entering the Kingdom carrying money also? (I suspect it is!) If so where do you submit the form on arrival at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Is it at the Passport IO desk? Thank you for your post and link.

3 hours ago, Thaifish said:

Blackcab, I have downloaded the Declaration form from your link. Stupid question but will ask anyway. Is the form the same one to use when entering the Kingdom carrying money also? (I suspect it is!) If so where do you submit the form on arrival at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Is it at the Passport IO desk? Thank you for your post and link.

Same form. On the right hand side of the form you will see two boxes. Check one for arrival or the other for departure.

Do not start pulling out cash at the immigration desk. These officers are not customs officers; their job is to allow you into the country.

After immigration, collect your checked luggage (if any) as normal, then head to the Red, Items to Declare channel. Hand over the two copies of your form and your passport there.

On 5/1/2018 at 1:21 PM, Argus Tuft said:

blackcab - excellent report, thanks so much for this

Often see questions on travel forums about taking cash across borders and it always seems to be met with alarm balls and scaremongering

In my line of work I have also had to carry large cash amounts in and out of various countries - all for legitimate reasons - and the procedure is straight forward and seamless if the rules are followed

The biggest nuance I have seen is actually leaving the USA for USA citizens.  At LAX for example, the TSA and other officials are in general ignorant of what to do, and it takes some digging to find out what forms to get, who to submit them to or show them to, when to do that, etc.  They are trained to be jerks and grill anybody that has 10K of cash or more on them. 

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Thaifish said:

Good reply jolly. I will be doing as you did in about 6 weeks. Thanks for post.

You're welcome.
Maybe exit A is just as good but I arrived at relatively quiet times so there was only one bloke hanging around there, he told me to use B ...

Commercial banks rate sending over from EU is a bad joke (low fees via ebanking or as eye-catchers maybe in some cases but all of them seem to apply a very bad rate in the end, usually not much better than standard cash-exchange here in-country, not to mention the likes of Superrich ...) - and if one uses an intermediary (say Transferwise or Currencytransfer etc.) with much better exchange-rates one might be short of proof the stash came from abroad if really needed because these companies use domestic accounts to finally allocate the funds ... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 3:24 AM, gk10002000 said:

The biggest nuance I have seen is actually leaving the USA for USA citizens.  At LAX for example, the TSA and other officials are in general ignorant of what to do, and it takes some digging to find out what forms to get, who to submit them to or show them to, when to do that, etc.  They are trained to be jerks and grill anybody that has 10K of cash or more on them. 

On 9/4/2018 at 1:08 PM, Snow Leopard said:

In my experience, the TSA are ignorant full stop. 

On 9/4/2018 at 1:08 PM, Snow Leopard said:

In my experience, the TSA are ignorant full stop. 

TSA at LAX are a mess. Fairly lazy ok really lazy. The line to get to

the Airline counter is crazy due laziness. Many times waiting in the

line 2 working and look behind the partition 8 or so doing nothing. 

I never went through the X-ray machine that you put your arms up

and goes around you. I get pulled to the side for further inspection 

the guy got carried away and grabbed my balls. Then they said what’s 

in your back pocket. A small receipt from buying a coke. 

Love the the security line in Taichung going to boarding area. Don’t have to take anything out. Water ok ... a breeze. Maybe they figure if 

you do something the line of fighter jets to side of runway will take care of your problem. 

Hong Kong boarding had an unopened water. They said you have to throw it away..... but wait I just bought it 2 minutes ago there at the store. Throw it away. I told him why don’t you reach I’m my pocket and

steal some money.......He wasn’t appreciative 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a habit of scanning your bags also if you declare money going through the red line. I want to bring some other items that are legal but wondering if I may have issues if they wish to scan wondering <deleted>... Drug courier!!!... So In bag Epsom Salts for muscle relief...2 kilo.... Tea tree oil maybe 1/2 litre for atomiser in same bag plus other legit stuff except maybe some food products..... Packed stuff not meat....Just simple things you buy through supermarket.....Maybe thinking doing run through no declare and holding paperwork for bringing excess money into country. What happens if no declare pulls you up? 

Edited by Thaifish

1 hour ago, Thaifish said:

Is there a habit of scanning your bags also if you declare money going through the red line. I want to bring some other items that are legal but wondering if I may have issues if they wish to scan wondering <deleted>... Drug courier!!!... So In bag Epsom Salts for muscle relief...2 kilo.... Tea tree oil maybe 1/2 litre for atomiser in same bag plus other legit stuff except maybe some food products..... Packed stuff not meat....Just simple things you buy through supermarket.....Maybe thinking doing run through no declare and holding paperwork for bringing excess money into country. What happens if no declare pulls you up? 

Had similar concerns, bags full of the good ole' food-stuff from home as usual when I declared EUR 25k ... nobody cared.

A Tuesday, around 9 AM, slow business & I was the only one through the red-channel ...

I only declared because I need the stamped form as proof for bringing in the dough, I'm not sure if it's an extremely good idea to stroll through the green but WITH the prepared paperwork on you ...?? Well, if they picked you out I mean ... otherwise not much difference between the fat (probably not permitted?) sausage or your cash - except the fines, probably  (plus there's cash on the table already ... could get expensive if you catch my drift)

Epsom Salt, hehe, thats a good one ... if necessary let them try a line, should sort out any questions.

Last time I travelled back home they busted me for 5 mangoes man, from the own garden over here, damage were EUR 8.- for 'destruction of the confiscated items' :cheesy:  had a good lough with the bloke as he said he doesn't give a hoot for some other items not exactly snowy-white where 'trademark protection' is concerned ...

Edited by jollyhangmon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/1/2018 at 6:21 PM, Argus Tuft said:

lol you see what happens at heathrow if you get a money dog tug cross border whilst holding 45 large when questions can be asked from just 1,000 sterling

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up on my earlier posts... If you play in the mud then sooner or later some of it is going to stick to you. I like to be squeaky clean. I did everything by the book exiting Australia and declaring excess of $10K.. Had declaration paperwork downloaded which Blackcaband provided in first post.. I dully filled out in duplicate ready for entry into the Kingdom. Cleared Immigration….. Got my bag from carousel... Walked to the declare items pathway.... All shut nobody in sight... only exit available was Non declaring line... Walked into and there was only one lady on a stool doing I presume facebook on her mobile.  The x-ray scanner TV was turned off and nobody monitoring it anyway. So there was 1 lady doing facebook looking after the whole show not at all interested... Now I wonder if I want to cash out and leave Thailand how am I going to show where I got the money from.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thaifish said:

Just to follow up on my earlier posts... If you play in the mud then sooner or later some of it is going to stick to you. I like to be squeaky clean. I did everything by the book exiting Australia and declaring excess of $10K.. Had declaration paperwork downloaded which Blackcaband provided in first post.. I dully filled out in duplicate ready for entry into the Kingdom. Cleared Immigration….. Got my bag from carousel... Walked to the declare items pathway.... All shut nobody in sight... only exit available was Non declaring line... Walked into and there was only one lady on a stool doing I presume facebook on her mobile.  The x-ray scanner TV was turned off and nobody monitoring it anyway. So there was 1 lady doing facebook looking after the whole show not at all interested... Now I wonder if I want to cash out and leave Thailand how am I going to show where I got the money from.  

Sounds pretty much like same situation when I flew in with some coin but I was directed from exit A (left side, very end of building) to exit B which was staffed fine, couple of cubicles, think I saw 6 or 7 officers there.

Not to declare/being able to declare wouldn't have been an option as I knew I'd need it (and did so) for conversion of a Tourist- to an NON-O-visa incountry on grounds of retirement ...