So here is the dilemma, if not Thailand then where?

webfact

15 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Actually my top 10 picks for retirement are in the USA, unfortunately it is nearly impossible to currently get my Brazilian wife in the country. Any ideas I am all ears.

Please list the 10!

On ‎02‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 1:32 PM, poanoi said:

i'm so done with visa hassle, and i'd sooner be dead than cambodia,

i also totally refuse to live in a cold country yet again,

so for me its going to be some warm piece of land belonging to EU,

like caribbean or spain or something like that

Try Greek Cyprus

On ‎02‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 6:26 PM, swissie said:

Not all retirees can affort to live in Monaco or Cannes. So, most end up in a so called "3rd world country".

But no matter where one ends up, the health (HEALTH INSURANCE) issue becomes a dominant factor. Private Insurance is very expensive and "Self-Insurance", only allowing for treatement in some Bamboo-Hospital ?????
---------------------
Other than that, for the last 6 months I have looked at potentional "Retirement-Countries" on a global scale, with all the many pro's and con's. Much to my own surprise, Thailand (still) came in as Number 1.
---------------------
As far as Europe is concerned, PORTUGAL is the only game left in town. Unless in the Sticks, rents are relatively high and prices for Condo's/Homes are hopelessely overpriced. Probably the reason that a good number of Retirees live in well-equipped Motor-Homes.
Cheers. 

Never heard of Cyprus or Malta?

On ‎14‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, Jingthing said:

Please list the 10!

St. Augustine FL

Boca Raton FL

Destin FL

Asheville NC

Cape Hatteras NC

Austin TX

Flagstaff AZ

Aspen CO

Santa Barbara CA

Newport Beach CA

Unlike many expats here I live in exile due to the fact my GF has family abroad along with the ongoing immigration issues. The longer I am away the more I realize the many things I took for granted that weren't so important then but are now. Also many of the things that pissed me off before don't so much now. Actually what we may do is buy a killer diesel pusher and live in it traveling out west half the time.

On ‎04‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 5:59 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

When I was in London, I would visit the British Museum 2x a week. It was a nice place to sit and read a book.

The other days I would go to the V&A.

So not entirely irrelevant.

Fully understandable - because of the weather ?

Edited by bermannor
Typing error

I just spent 3 weeks in USA all but 4 days in Florida. Florida is a big state. No reason to live near the ocean or gulf as even when inland both are only an hour or two drive away.

Edited by JLCrab

5 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I just spent 3 weeks in USA all but 4 days in Florida. Florida is a big state. No reason to live near the ocean or gulf as even when inland bar are only an hour or two drive away.

I want to walk ten minutes to the beach. Always have for the 45 years I lived there

On ‎07‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 8:45 AM, MaeJoMTB said:

Last week, Saigon September Park, great place to sit and read a book under the shade of the trees.

(I'm probably much more hansum than you)

Or watch the martial arts group every morning at 6am.

IMG_20180423_064927.jpg

So, your bench was full after the workout? No longer needed to hunt all day long?

5 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Here's one -- Manatee Springs State Park. Almost 500 million liters average per day of spring water comes out of that hole.

Related image

Nice, Went to FSU a few years and there was Wakulla Springs and many crystal clear sink holes. There was a lake called Mill Pond, great fishing but many people wondered why the fish wouldn't bite when our crew was slaying the Crappy. It was so clear you needed 2lb test so the fish didn't see it. Only problem is ponds have no surf.

Neither much does the Atlantic or Gulf at least compared to others. Now if Florida had surf like my favorite spot off the coast of Sumatra that might be a different story.

Related image

Edited by JLCrab

2 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Neither much does the Atlantic or Gulf at least compared to others.

For sure time has taken it's toll on FL beaches. Was a kid in S. FL in the 60s and it was paradise. My dad bought me a Boston Whaler when I was 13 and it was better than having a car. Fishing, surfing was great, now the water is nasty. Hard to believe humans have been he so long looking with my own eyes just how much we screw things up in just 50 years. Not just FL, been all over the world, same story but worse.

19 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Neither much does the Atlantic or Gulf at least compared to others. Now if Florida had surf like my favorite spot off the coast of Sumatra that might be a different story.

Related image

looks like rockets?

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Good for you. I like to swim. Florida has some of the best swimming spots on the planet. Nowhere near the beach.

I like the springs in Florida with clear water, so you se the alligator coming to you ;-) I enjoyed the nature and wildness while I was there, but, something happend with the feeling being there, and the more you learn about a country, the more you dislike it. I guess it is the same world around, when you find your paradise, you discover slowly all the wrongs about it, or suck up to it. Thailand is like that, suck it up, or leave. 

Sri Lanka anyone? I have googled that country from time to time, and it have nice beaches and all that kind of stuff, but living there? And where ? 

Edited by Hummin

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

<snip> and the more you learn about a country, the more you dislike it. <snip2>

That's funny I feel the same way about most of the people on here -- the more I learn about them, the more I dislike them and tend to keep the company solely of young non-English speaking Thai females.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I like the springs in Florida with clear water, so you se the alligator coming to you ;-) I enjoyed the nature and wildness while I was there, but, something happend with the feeling being there, and the more you learn about a country, the more you dislike it. I guess it is the same world around, when you find your paradise, you discover slowly all the wrongs about it, or suck up to it. Thailand is like that, suck it up, or leave. 

I used to go cave diving in the Florida springs, some were deep.

I noticed gators sitting on the bank downstream of one spring so I asked the park ranger, "Do any divers get attacked by the gators?", Ranger replied, "We put up a sign, 'Gators not allowed upstream of this notice', and that fixed it"

I liked Florida, the springs, the Keys and Sanibel Island.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to go cave diving in the Florida springs, some were deep.
I noticed gators sitting on the bank downstream of one spring so I asked the park ranger, "Do any divers get attacked by the gators?", Ranger replied, "We put up a sign, 'Gators not allowed upstream of this notice', and that fixed it"
I liked Florida, the springs, the Keys and Sanibel Island.

Don’t forget the Cafe Cubano and bars that close at 05:00...

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

Sri Lanka anyone? I have googled that country from time to time, and it have nice beaches and all that kind of stuff, but living there? And where ? 

Did a little web searching. Info I found was on a retirement sight, not official. Said they have a retirement visa program. You need to be 55, put equivalent of US$15,000 in a sri lankan bank, and show equivalent of US$1500/month in pension income. 

I know they have nice beaches, but don't know whether they're easy to get to and have other necessary infrastructure nearby (such as hospitals).

On 5/16/2018 at 3:32 PM, JAZZDOG said:

St. Augustine FL

Boca Raton FL

Destin FL

Asheville NC

Cape Hatteras NC

Austin TX

Flagstaff AZ

Aspen CO

Santa Barbara CA

Newport Beach CA

Unlike many expats here I live in exile due to the fact my GF has family abroad along with the ongoing immigration issues. The longer I am away the more I realize the many things I took for granted that weren't so important then but are now. Also many of the things that pissed me off before don't so much now. Actually what we may do is buy a killer diesel pusher and live in it traveling out west half the time.

On 5/13/2018 at 1:17 PM, JAZZDOG said:

Actually my top 10 picks for retirement are in the USA, unfortunately it is nearly impossible to currently get my Brazilian wife in the country. Any ideas I am all ears.

(I got those two quotes in reverse order and can't figure out how to cut & paste the second above the first)

I don't quite understand why, if you are a US citizen or greencard holder, you shouldn't be able to get your wife a greencard. I thought it was (current) US policy to support prioritize keeping families together (also called chain migration). I'm not familiar with the process, though my brother went through it to bring his now-ex wife to the US 25 years ago. They ask you a lot of questions to make sure you're really married and not just pretending, but if she is your wife and not just long-term GF it shouldn't be a problem.

Or, if you're not officially married, couldn't you bring her in on a tourist visa and get married in the US? I think that makes the whole greencard thing even easier.

But if you don't want to get into personal details, it's ok. I really can't help you because I am not that knowledgeable on the US process or rules.

I thought a lot about a diesel pusher myself. I even subscribed to motorhome magazine for a couple years :post-4641-1156694572:

In the end I concluded that it would be as much hassle as maintaining a house, only more so because all the systems are strange and funny (e.g. propane refrigerators), and because I'm single touring around wouldn't be any fun. But if I find a significant other to ride shotgun it will still be a very attractive dream once I turn 65 and qualify for medicare (Obamacare's too expensive in the mean time).

On 14.5.2018 at 1:17 AM, JAZZDOG said:

It is Portugal for you! 

However a quick look at their possibillities you have many choices. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Brazilian_citizens

10 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

(I got those two quotes in reverse order and can't figure out how to cut & paste the second above the first)

I don't quite understand why, if you are a US citizen or greencard holder, you shouldn't be able to get your wife a greencard. I thought it was (current) US policy to support prioritize keeping families together (also called chain migration). I'm not familiar with the process, though my brother went through it to bring his now-ex wife to the US 25 years ago. They ask you a lot of questions to make sure you're really married and not just pretending, but if she is your wife and not just long-term GF it shouldn't be a problem.

Or, if you're not officially married, couldn't you bring her in on a tourist visa and get married in the US? I think that makes the whole greencard thing even easier.

But if you don't want to get into personal details, it's ok. I really can't help you because I am not that knowledgeable on the US process or rules.

I thought a lot about a diesel pusher myself. I even subscribed to motorhome magazine for a couple years :post-4641-1156694572:

In the end I concluded that it would be as much hassle as maintaining a house, only more so because all the systems are strange and funny (e.g. propane refrigerators), and because I'm single touring around wouldn't be any fun. But if I find a significant other to ride shotgun it will still be a very attractive dream once I turn 65 and qualify for medicare (Obamacare's too expensive in the mean time).

The answer is Trump