My friend told me he was not allowed entry if he did not buy on the spot a ticket going back to his home country in the 30 days ? is that common pratice ? at SVB

Hello

My friend a week ago, who go to Suvarnabhumi Bangkok, told me he was very annoyed at the Immigration that the IO won't let him allow entry, and asked to produce a ticket going back ONLY to his country in the 30 days, so he should buy ticket on the spot, if not he will not be allowed entry in Thailand ( They didn't not ask about the 20,000 THB )

is that a new practice ? I told him he was lucky, because many get turned back whatever.. 

by the way he stayed long time in Thailand last year, with TR Visa, and extension of stay.. 

To qualify for the 30 day visa on entry you should be able to show that you are leaving the country.....LOL

It doesn't have to be to your home country, although that would be normal for a tourist.

This doesn't just apply in Thailand, but in other countries too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

To qualify for the 30 day visa on entry you should be able to show that you are leaving the country.....LOL

It doesn't have to be to your home country, although that would be normal for a tourist.

This doesn't just apply in Thailand, but in other countries too.

I understand, but he provided a ticket going to PP, Cambodia, they won't accept it. ( the IO Thai )

4 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

was this a flight ticket ?

Yes, Air Asia ticket from BKK to PP

he used that also for check-in with the flight from Europe as he used a one-way to Thailand

Edited by DavidJow

wow, I have not heard of that before, it sounds more like the IO was inexperienced. I entered a few years ago with an outward to Vietnam and had no problems whatsoever. You will need more advice, I know they don't like adjoining countries, but I thought the restrictions were purely around land journeys and flights were exempt. My daughter has just gone in with an exit out through Singapore with absolutely no issues and no questions about how she is getting to Singapore...it seems a bit random !!!

6 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

wow, I have not heard of that before, it sounds more like the IO was inexperienced. I entered a few years ago with an outward to Vietnam and had no problems whatsoever. You will need more advice, I know they don't like adjoining countries, but I thought the restrictions were purely around land journeys and flights were exempt. My daughter has just gone in with an exit out through Singapore with absolutely no issues and no questions about how she is getting to Singapore...it seems a bit random !!!

I also felt it's not usual at all what happened with my friend, as they usually requires the 20,000 THB + ticket out of Thailand in 30 days in regular comments here.

By the way for info ; he's just a white guy

Edited by DavidJow

1 minute ago, DavidJow said:

I also felt it's not usual at all what happened with my friend, as they usually requires the 20,000 THB + ticket out of Thailand in 30 days in regular comments here.

yep, and the 20k can be entirely random too, I have never been asked to produce the 20k (touch wood). Either the guy was on loan from Phuket (where they are absolutely clueless) or he matched some sort of profiling to draw interest to himself and was unlucky with the IO, however had he pushed it they would have probably asked to see the 20k, or something else, you can't win in these situations, just try and avoid them.

It sounds like your friend was lucky that the IO let him buy a ticket! They usually only start asking about onward tickets, and cash if they are looking to deny entry. If someone has a long history of tourism the IO's are instructed to look for hotel bookings, pocket money and onward flights. Things a typical tourist would have.

By the way for info ; he's just a white guy

What is his age and country of origin? I wonder what triggered the IO...

Where there a lot of people queueing at immigration or was it a calm day? Female/male, old/young IO?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, DavidJow said:

My friend a week ago, who go to Suvarnabhumi Bangkok, told me he was very annoyed at the Immigration that the IO won't let him allow entry, and asked to produce a ticket going back ONLY to his country in the 30 days, so he should buy ticket on the spot, if not he will not be allowed entry in Thailand

Was that the immigration officer at the desk that wanted a return ticket? Or was it a supervisor that was called over?

I think if it had gotten to the point where they were ready to formally deny entry the onward ticket would of been accepted.

Moral of the story: if you have stayed long periods in Thailand on tourist entries, avoid entering visa exempt at airports if there is any reasonable alternative. While most entering visa exempt will have no problem, the immigration official has a lot of discretion. Since the official can deny visa exempt entry "as a means of staying long term in Thailand", he can pretty much mandate anything he wants. Hit the wrong official at the wrong time and problems like this are very possible.

• Like 2

It is all a bit hit and miss i came into BKK from SGN 2 weeks ago visa exempt and neither airline check in or immigration interested in whether i had a flight out. Of course i did have a screen shot of the ticket out (which was with a different airline) and was ready to show it if necessary.

I just know that it was male officer as I asked him before, my friend he's 35 years white guy from Schengen countries. Flying from Europe. I remember it told me they would even don't let him entry then he try explain his situation his just holiday in Pattaya often, finally they told him to show a ticket back to his country on the 30 days, if not he will not be allowed anymore and being turned back .. etc.

I will ask him if he went to the senior officer, etc.. 

He did not apply a visa, because it's too complicated for him, & need wait 3 weeks almost to process it, he though come with VE then do his TR visa in Vientiane.

I even advise him to change his passport as his full of stamp already.., but he didn't do it 

Edited by DavidJow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2018 at 1:55 AM, DavidJow said:

he stayed long time in Thailand last year, with TR Visa, and extension of stay.. 

That is why - even if he was gone for months.  IOs at the worst points of entry (Bangkok + some other airports and the Poipet/Aranya land-crossing) actively-hate people who stay longer, even if they followed all the rules on previous entries, and were gone long enough they could not possibly be holding down a job in Thailand. 

Since your friend came in without a visa (expecting visa-exempt), they had even more flexibility to take out their ire on him.  Personally, I'd fly to Penang and take the train in every time - but arriving with a Tourist Visa from a consulate would reduce the odds of his having this problem.

On 5/3/2018 at 2:17 AM, Megasin1 said:

it sounds more like the IO was inexperienced.

More likely, they just hadn't filled up all their detention cells yet, so were looking for a farang to hurt.  If the guy had been gone too long to use the "working illegally" excuse (lie), and they figured the "not enough cash" trick wouldn't work either (pretending ATMs don't exist yet) - so they made up a new non-existent rule. 

You would think making up rules would be thumbing their nose at their superiors who write the "real" rules, but there seems to be no oversight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

More likely, they just hadn't filled up all their detention cells yet, so were looking for a farang to hurt.  If the guy had been gone too long to use the "working illegally" excuse (lie), and they figured the "not enough cash" trick wouldn't work either (pretending ATMs don't exist yet) - so they made up a new non-existent rule. 

At the end of the day, even if you have the required cash and a ticket out, i.e. completely following the rules, individual IOs can still deny you entry. Can you appeal? Yeah, right... :ph34r:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

At the end of the day, even if you have the required cash and a ticket out, i.e. completely following the rules, individual IOs can still deny you entry. Can you appeal? Yeah, right... :ph34r:

You can't, by law, appeal a visa exempt denied entry. 

• Like 1

They make a lot of problems at bkk airport now, was questioned one hour last time because i had a second tourist visa this year where as you can have 2 tourist visa per year, like 180 days maximum, they still made problems asking why i was staying that long.

They looked on their computer for one hour at my history but nothing wrong, they let me in but said they put on computer next time i will be denied entry if i come back again this year.

• Like 1

IO's obviously took a dislike to your friend.

A brash IO can jump to conclusions on a passport with load of previous setv's etc even if years apart as they don't check dates well (had this issue myself and got interviewed)

bad dress. bad manners, large amount of previous back to back entries etc all take a toll.

Swampy & DM airport is getting tough on those with repeat setv and visa exempts.

IO's can refuse you even with onward travel if really want to and not a lot you can do about it easily or cheaply .

Best approach is proper planning . Guys like your friend likely best getting setv in asia then travelling to thailand or if entering on visa exempt make effort for for onward flight to home country and have 20K+ funds plus be calm and professional . 

Edited by BuckBee

Not hard to see why the IO would have a negative  view.

Previous overstay on the TR + cheap ticket to PP + Pattaya destination.

I know many are sensitive about Pattaya and will accuse me of bashing, but  foreigners who spend alot of time in Pattaya and who are not employed at reputable occupations in Pattaya , or married to a local Thai, are going to be profiled and will draw attention. A 35 year old in Pattaya isn't there for the beach, or the fabulous shopping at Mike, or the electrifying ferry docks. That's why some IOs will take a closer look.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

A 35 year old in Pattaya isn't there for the beach, or the fabulous shopping at Mike, or the electrifying ferry docks.

True, they are probably spending far more money into the Thai economy than the average tourist - likely greatly reducing pressure from the Issan-region, for more "wealth-distribution" from Bangkok. 

So, this person may be not only contributing to the economy, but doing so in a way that helps stabilize it politically, at the same time.  If logic prevailed, they should be given the red-carpet treatment.

But, seriously, it is a place in Thailand with relatively low-costs for a decent standard of living - an abundance of housing, shopping available, etc.  Costs are lower than Bangkok, less pollution, less traffic, better weather (cooler).  So, yes, a 35 yo might really be there for that reason.

Edited by JackThompson

To my knowledge, only an onward ticket required, and can be anywhere as long as out of LOS.

Sounds to me the IO was looking for an excuse not to grant entry.

I've seen on travel forum where people just buy cheap ticket to Cambodia and let in.

I've never actually heard of the IO demanding an onward ticket- it's always been the airline not letting passenger on for no onward ticket.