It's that man again! Big Joke on hand to take down tricky Chinese thief at Bangkok airport

webfact

It's that man again! Big Joke on hand to take down tricky Chinese thief at Bangkok airport

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Police Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal was on hand once again to arrest a tricky Chinese thief who stole from the overhead compartment on an airline coming into Suvarnabhumi yesterday.

The deputy commissioner - known in the Thai media as Big Joke after a series of high profile busts - told the media that he had arrested Chawee Chew Liang, 32, who was found with Hong Kong dollars and Thai currency worth 20,000 baht.

Surachet said the thief was well prepared and waited until the victim had gone into the toilets. Then he had rifled through their possessions in the overhead bin.

He put in a stack of one dollar US bills in place of the more valuable currency so that the passenger would be fooled into thinking they had not been robbed.

But they noticed and alerted airline staff who called the tourist police who went to the gate and made the arrest.

The tourist police are investigating the thief's movements that showed he liked to travel so that he was always in transit.

He faces up to seven years on a charge of theft at an airport - a charge in Thailand that is much more serious than theft from elsewhere, reported Daily News.

Surachet has been highly visible in the news in recent months busting everybody from illegal foreigners to romance scammers to call center gangs to illegal guides.

Arrests have been made both within Thailand and abroad and the affectionately named Big Joke is always on hand for the cameras with an explanation of the case.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-03

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The deputy commissioner - known in the Thai media as Big Joke after a series of high profile busts - told the media that he had arrested Chawee Chew Liang, 32

Well done, mate! You're a star. Pin another medal to your uniform. 

I was worried I'd read the thief was merely 'arrested'. Knowing 'Big Joke' did it makes me feel so much better. 

• Like 2

I'm really tired to read nearly daily how good that "EXHIBITIONIST" is. He has to help the real poor peoples and stop the overcharging of the lottery, I'm sure he can get work for at least two to three years...

• Thanks 1

Did he steal at the airport though.if the victim went to the toilet I take it the plane was in the air still.so technically he's hasn't stolen at the airport.as for 7 years,do all them baggage handlers get the big 7 years? Once again big joke ( the batman of bangkok as I've named him)jumps in to save the day and claim more merit.apart from having an assistant who acts as his interpreter I think he might have a permanent photographer on his team too.if I was a criminal I don't wether I would be shaking in my boots or just laughing at this big joke.its all self promoting bs if you ask me.

Edited by happy chappie
Spelling mistake