What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

The big bang theory the funniest thing ever on tv

I concur. It is the only sitcom that I make sure to watch as soon as it comes out.

I am watching it for the second time Kelly is my dream woman

Download the pilot so different

Edited by i claudius

Just finished episode 1 of HBO's Getting On.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2342652/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

From IMDB: Set in a geriatric extended care wing of a down-at-the-heels hospital, Getting

On follows put-upon nurses, anxious doctors and administrators as they struggle with the darkly

comic, brutally honest and quietly compassionate realities of caring for the elderly.

Based on the English version of the same name.

Was disappointed to be honest. I admit to being a bit tired while watching, but not too many

laughs for me.

Derek starring Ricky Gervais, which is set at an old peoples home was far superior.

sorry but whenever the Americans try to copy a British show they always ruin it
I didn't like British version of Getting On either. I tried to watch that first.

I loved All In The Family, but never saw the British version.

I didn't like either version of The Office. I don't enjoy "cringing", because the main character is such a twit.

I like the American version of Shameless better - probably because of William Macy, but they are both good.

Being from the part of the UK where the original is set and recognizing people I grew up with in the characters of the show, I expected to hate Shameless US, but William Macy is brilliant in it & the episodes (that I've seen) have had plots almost identical to the UK series & just as funny [emoji106]

• Like 2

Tyrant had its last episode tonight and ended the first season with an interesting twist. HOWEVER, as much as I like this "Dallas of the Middle East" soap opera with unlikely Brits playing Arabs, speaking English, drinking wine everywhere and other incongruent or just plain stupid but fun elements, I'm only giving this a 50/50 chance of being renewed for a 2nd season. Evidently they have spent tons of money on this series, and it would be a big loss if they pulled the plug.

My prediction:

showcancelled__140511152857.jpeg

Downloaded and watched on a whim, a new movie out of Australia, The Rover. It's a post apocalyptic walk about in the Ozzie outback (think Mad Max on Xanax meets Forrest Gump). It's watchable, and like many Indie films, there are those who rave about all its hidden deep meanings, and others who switch it off halfway through. It's on PB. Lead actor is the great Ozzie actor Guy Pierce which is the main reason I watched it. (Anyone remember his memorable performance as a gay cabaret dancer in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert?)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2345737/

Edited by keemapoot

Downloaded and watched on a whim, a new movie out of Australia, The Rover. It's a post apocalyptic walk about in the Ozzie outback (think Mad Max on Xanax meets Forrest Gump). It's watchable, and like many Indie films, there are those who rave about all its hidden deep meanings, and others who switch it off halfway through. It's on PB. Lead actor is the great Ozzie actor Guy Pierce which is the main reason I watched it. (Anyone remember his memorable performance as a gay cabaret dancer in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert?)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2345737/

I was really looking forward to this one when I saw the trailers a while back..

Guy Pearce was good, but the script and other acting in the movie was awful. Almost nothing made sense.

Very disappointed in this one

3/10 from me

• Like 1

Tyrant had its last episode tonight and ended the first season with an interesting twist. HOWEVER, as much as I like this "Dallas of the Middle East" soap opera with unlikely Brits playing Arabs, speaking English, drinking wine everywhere and other incongruent or just plain stupid but fun elements, I'm only giving this a 50/50 chance of being renewed for a 2nd season. Evidently they have spent tons of money on this series, and it would be a big loss if they pulled the plug.

My prediction:

showcancelled__140511152857.jpeg

SPOILER for Tyrant

I did not realize that was the last episode for this year. I hope that you have it wrong as I really enjoy it and want to see what happens next. I did not expect the coup to fail, but don't see a firing squad in the good/Western brother's immediate future.

• Like 2

Speaking of that "best ever" series Sopranos, there is some big news out of the mouth of creator and mastermind David Chase about that controversial ending that everyone is still debating. He answers the question of whether Tony Soprano is sleeping with the fishes or not:

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/did-tony-die-sopranos-finale-david-chase-finally-151700353.html

103113-david-chase-600-1383251935.jpg

*Interesting side note as some have observed on this forum that the highest quality series are not those that have netted the most money to the creators, David Chase's net worth as creator of Sopranos is $80 million, compared with almost a $1 billion dollars net worth of Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David, the creators of Seinfeld.

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 2

The latest episode of The Leftovers was much better IMO. They go back in time before the Rapture - or whatever it is. Things were pretty normal and you get to see what the characters were like back then. Not weird at all, which is refreshing after the last few episodes.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The latest episode of The Leftovers was much better IMO. They go back in time before the Rapture - or whatever it is. Things were pretty normal and you get to see what the characters were like back then. Not weird at all, which is refreshing after the last few episodes.

But i still dont know what its all aboutsmile.png

• Like 2

Re: British Shows, US Ripoffs

I heard that Veep is sort of a US take on The Thick of It, with the same people being in charge of the production. I watched one Veep and that was enough. Not a Julia fan. The Thick of It, and the movie In the Loop, were all time great. Malcolm and Jamie! "When ah tell yew to f--- of, then it's Off yew will f---!" "Laurel and <deleted> Hardy! Glad you could join us. Did you manage to get that piano up the stairs OK?"

Veep gets better each series, IMO

The most recent Series 3 was by far the best. Some great laughs

I have tried veep a few times and wanted to like it ,but just cant get into it ,shame . you do realize Bookman by discussing all these shows all of us come over as a load of sad old farts who do nothing here in Thailand but watch tvrolleyes.gif when in fact i am sure we are nothing of the sort ,i know i am not.

iclaudius, I watch a lot of the shows while I am doing something else on the computer. Half screen for the video and half screen for Chrome/Word/Excel program. Same with Thaivisa really. It sits open while I am doing whatever I am doing on the computer

If I find a show I really enjoy I'll watch it on the larger TV screen.

I had the latest X-men running before but it was so boring i closed it

From my scribblings on here, you might think I spend half my time reading ThaiVisa, and the rest watching torrent'd TV shows. Oh no. That's all just background, as I write a new, "hip" update of The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis, and reading the latest papers on nuclear fusion, as well as unsolicited selections from the Postmodern Novel of the Month Club. (Read them quick, send 'em back without paying!)

It's a good life, if yer don't weaken. ---Albert Finney, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

• Like 1

Locke

IMDB: Ivan Locke, a dedicated family man and successful construction manager,

receives a phone call on the eve of the biggest challenge of his career that sets in motion

a series of events that threaten his careful cultivated existence.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2692904/?ref_=nv_sr_1

This won't be everyone's cup of Liptons.

One man in a car for an hour-and-a-half is basically what you get.

I enjoyed it but it won't be for everyone hardly anyone reallybiggrin.png

• Like 1

Locke

IMDB: Ivan Locke, a dedicated family man and successful construction manager,

receives a phone call on the eve of the biggest challenge of his career that sets in motion

a series of events that threaten his careful cultivated existence.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2692904/?ref_=nv_sr_1

This won't be everyone's cup of Liptons.

One man in a car for an hour-and-a-half is basically what you get.

I enjoyed it but it won't be for everyone hardly anyone reallybiggrin.png

Yeah I've had this one for about a month but haven't watched it... It even passed the preview test (that I employ on a less than regular basis) might be one for watching whilst on a plane.

• Like 1

UG in #2316 says his favorite bits from the Wire featured the Elusive Omar. I agree, he is a character I'll never forget. Michael Kenneth Williams does a good job as Chalky White on Boardwalk Empire, too. My favorite season of the Wire was Number Two, which concentrated on the struggles of the Dockworkers Union to stay alive at the Port of Baltimore. It was a perfect depiction of the destruction of the organized labor movement worldwide.

Top Shows of All Time...........The Wire; The Sopranos; Breaking Bad.

Up and Coming Contenders: Ray Donovan; Masters of Sex; The Bridge; Rectify.

Edited by Frank James
  • Like 1

Here's a couple of movies I thought I'd bung on over the next week or so...

Brick Mansion: Probably one of Paul Walker's last movies (actually, his penultimate movie with F&F 7 currently in post production). Lots of action with a lot of that parkour stuff going on. Looks quite good. RZA is getting around nowadays and is quite the actor enjoy his character in Gang Related.

Almost Married: Looks like a bit of a lads movie. Need one of these once in awhile...

Brick Mansions was horrifically bad. Unless you like one scene after another, with completely implausible settings, and ridiculous dialogue and plot. Very difficult to sit through. If you loved expendables 3, or transformers, or the sequel to 300, you might like this turkey.

Here's a couple of movies I thought I'd bung on over the next week or so...

Brick Mansion: Probably one of Paul Walker's last movies (actually, his penultimate movie with F&F 7 currently in post production). Lots of action with a lot of that parkour stuff going on. Looks quite good. RZA is getting around nowadays and is quite the actor enjoy his character in Gang Related.

Almost Married: Looks like a bit of a lads movie. Need one of these once in awhile...

Brick Mansions was horrifically bad. Unless you like one scene after another, with completely implausible settings, and ridiculous dialogue and plot. Very difficult to sit through. If you loved expendables 3, or transformers, or the sequel to 300, you might like this turkey.

Gobble Gobble.. Quite enjoyed Brick Mansions... The Expendables triology and 300+1? To each their own I guess..

coffee1.gif

• Like 1