Motorcycle street racing: What happens when things go wrong - four dead

webfact

2 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Those sounds clearly distorted the logical thought process in your head so that you confused an outlandish fantasy with a potential reality.

Dear me, you are about as responsive to sarcasm as a Thai is to a road safety campaign. It's like herding cats i here sometimes.:saai:

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is a huge difference between high-jinx and assault. 

Kids racing bikes for kicks, while dangerous, stupid and places other innocents at risk is carried out without a real concept of consequence, or through youthfulness the kids ignore the consequence. 

Actively going out and assaulting people for kicks involves quite a different criminal, aggressive and perhaps psychopathic mindset.

Without wishing to defend these dangerous 'street racers' the comparison you have drawn is unfair. 

They [the street racers] need policing, educating and guidance, but they are also kids and need 'something' to do... Kids will always be kids and get up to mischief - this is not defending them, its simply stating a fact of life... their actions are quite different from assaulting people and to draw the comparison with assaulting old people highlights your bias. 

You are entitled to your opinion, and you do have a point in what you are saying, but what if any of your family were harmed in any way by these racers?

"Kids will always be kids and get up to mischief", would that still be your attitude?

40 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You are entitled to your opinion, and you do have a point in what you are saying, but what if any of your family were harmed in any way by these racers?

"Kids will always be kids and get up to mischief", would that still be your attitude?

No... my attitude would be somewhat harsher, revengeful, unforgiving and heavily unbalanced...  which is why these issues are usually judged by educated and qualified individuals (Judge's) accompanied by an unbiased jury of our peers. 

But, I do agree somewhat, these are more than kids... they are young adults who, if given the responsibility to ride powered machinery should also be given the benefit of education for the consequences of their actions.

But again, they didn't set out to deliberately kill anyone or assault old people... they set out to race and forego the consequences either through ignorance or carelessness. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Kids will be kids, but one certainly has to wonder where the hell the parents are; well-brought up kids don't do idiotic things like this.”

Parents always show up after, if there is money for death of child.

'Well brought up kids don't do idiotic things'....   

At the age of 11 a friend of mine and I got ourselves into a fair deal of trouble experimenting with the recipe for gunpowder... we were a few days short of making small pipe-bombs to throw in the back garden.....  no malice involved, we were simply switched on kids with inquisitive minds but unaware of the potential risks we were taking... (not that switched on then !)

.... at 17 years old driving too fast down muddy narrow country lanes... 

.... Lots of  us did dumb stuff when we were kids, many of us are lucky either we or others were not hurt.

Of course, that doesn't mean that these kids (young adults) racing bikes are in the right, they clearly are not and the consequences of their actions are often way out of balanced with the innocence in which these idiotic, but ultimately stupidly naive kids (young adults) acted... BUT... they did not set out to kill or injure anyone... their fault simply lies within their ignorance of the risks they face and pose to others. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Even if it takes to beating them with a piece of bamboo, across the back, legs, arms as my Mrs did to the twins, when they were 12.

Being caught as pillion passengers on their cousins motorbike (twice), one would have thought the first canning would have been enough, obviously the 2nd one did it, that and been grounded since then, they are now 14.

Lots of opinions bagging her from the Thai community in the beginning (village mentality), now, its oh, how can I do the same for my kids.....lol

Better my kids alive than dead my Mrs says, can't disagree with her, that and they have been told that dad will take to them next !

Amazing what a good old caning does to them, I remember those days :post-4641-1156694572: 

Works for adults too (Singapore).

The winner gets the girl, the loser gets a funeral. These kids are an educational disaster and the parents might be taken into the equation on why what where when went wrong. 

A 15 year old kid cannot own a bike paid by its own sources so book the owner of the bike(s) as well. 

This society is in free fall and everyone thinks that all this "thai style" is so important to cherish and maintain. 

As far as the dead kids are concerned I am not sure if it would have been possible to turn them into law-abiding valuable members of the grown-up society .... politically incorrect but possibly good riddance as far as I am concerned! 

• Like 1

Although I understand the media benefit in showing this type of carnage, I often wonder if it might be better to NOT show so much graphic details as to not 'sensationalize' the aftermath of the crash but maybe talk more about how many relatives (no names) lost a love one or how much the accident cost in terms of medical staff hours or something. My thoughts only. It is not just in Thailand, it happens all over the world.

My guess they thought they were really cool and tough.  Right up until the time of impact.  I some times wonder the Thai philosophy of not enforcing traffic laws.  Ages 15 to 17 are innocent because they know no better.  Thai police would issue a fine if they stop a white person without a helmet.  I never heard of Thai person getting a fine for that.  What a waste of human life.  The story should be shared with all children in elementary school on up.   

• Like 1

I am not sure because there is limited information in the story but it appears the pick-up truck

made a turn into the gas station and into the oncoming scooters. If so that would put the pickup at fault.

Of course, the youths racing and not wearing helmets made the carnage worse but it does not

make the accident their fault. The follies of youth. Riding to fast and not wearing helmets. RIP

50 minutes ago, Ulic said:

I am not sure because there is limited information in the story but it appears the pick-up truck made a turn into the gas station and into the oncoming scooters. If so that would put the pickup at fault.

After looking at the other pics at Sanook, that  is my impression. Dark and dingy truck on the dark side of the road turns right into the gas station, maybe to buy another beer.  Crossed the lane of the oncoming and speeding  bikes which hit his passenger side.  All parties coming from the dark into a brightly lit area.  Big distraction and a lot of glare which limits visibility beyond.  I can't figure out how the truck ended up with the read end on the curb, front facing away from the gas station. Did it spin 180 or get pushed back there?  I can see it spinning since it appears to have been hit in the door and bed.  All the weight on those is well forward and the tail end is easy to break loose.  Fault all the way around.

Horrific.  Only good part was plenty of light to take pics of the aftermath and refreshments available close by.

21 hours ago, HLover said:

Safe guess would be glued to the telly or on their cell phones.

The police are not wondering where the helmets are, the police do nothing to stop these juvenile idiots, the parents can do nothing as the kids will come back in three months, the parents ignore safety rules as most do and never wear helmets , Plenty of falangs don't wear helmets as well.

The grieving though will never go away, it stays with a good mother for life.

20 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The real sadness in all this is that no one learns from the grief and tragedy coming from these dreadful road racing events.

Not the kids themselves or the parents or the police or the government. After the dead are put to rest all is forgotten until the next time. 

Sensible suggestions flow from members and Big Joke is doing his best but that's where it ends. Time for the PM to step up and lay down the law; which he is good at. 

Speaking of the anointed one here's there Monday so will be able to give up to date advice to the local BIB on ways to solve the problem. ie get out there pull them up lay down the law and extract money from kids pockets for your own pockets, 

Thankfully  these 4 idiots are a minority  I  know of many other young

men and women who are responsible and do not go out at night to race

around until they kill themselves and others. Now the parents and families

can live the rest of their lives without these 4 around. No big loss in my

books.

Geezer

6 hours ago, The Theory said:

Kids will be kids, but one certainly has to wonder where the hell the parents are; well-brought up kids don't do idiotic things like this.”

Parents always show up after, if there is money for death of child.

No they just race Porsche's on highways and kill police 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Artisi said:

That should read no brain... 

Thing is: my brain tells me, when to take a dump. I´m looking into full body suits, you know, where it makes a swoush (is that a word ?), encased in some sort of foam, and you´re protected from stupidity whatsoever. :smile:

I just can´t imagine myself standing in line at the drivinglicense department, for my renewal, and "swoush". . .

Working on it !

22 hours ago, z42 said:

Sorry but there is zero sympathy from me. Night on night idiots like these endanger other people just getting on with their journey.

No helmets also, pure idiocy but quite fitting as this is probably exactly the way these sorts envision as a cool way to exit the earth

Agree, but look at the bright side, 4 less maniac drivers on the road. RIP.

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

'Well brought up kids don't do idiotic things'....   

At the age of 11 a friend of mine and I got ourselves into a fair deal of trouble experimenting with the recipe for gunpowder... we were a few days short of making small pipe-bombs to throw in the back garden.....  no malice involved, we were simply switched on kids with inquisitive minds but unaware of the potential risks we were taking... (not that switched on then !)

.... at 17 years old driving too fast down muddy narrow country lanes... 

.... Lots of  us did dumb stuff when we were kids, many of us are lucky either we or others were not hurt.

Of course, that doesn't mean that these kids (young adults) racing bikes are in the right, they clearly are not and the consequences of their actions are often way out of balanced with the innocence in which these idiotic, but ultimately stupidly naive kids (young adults) acted... BUT... they did not set out to kill or injure anyone... their fault simply lies within their ignorance of the risks they face and pose to others. 

These racers made a choice and paid the ultimate price

It stems from a simple lack of respect for road laws and law and order in general

Your suggestion of them being ignorant of the consequences of their actions is nonsense unless they are deaf dumb and blind and live in a cocoon 

They do it because they think it wont happen to them but as we can see WRONG ANSWER

They made their choice so be it

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

These racers made a choice and paid the ultimate price

It stems from a simple lack of respect for road laws and law and order in general

Your suggestion of them being ignorant of the consequences of their actions is nonsense unless they are deaf dumb and blind and live in a cocoon 

They do it because they think it wont happen to them but as we can see WRONG ANSWER

They made their choice so be it

Sorry to quote your post, i didn´t find the button to write an answer to OP (yep, i have a short attention span).

Anyway: Darwin, can´t say more than "Darwin".

• Haha 1

Luckily no innocent bystanders got injured.
Condemned are the PARENTS of these brainless idiots.
None of them with a driver license; speeding without helmets... It is like begging for suicide.
They got what they could expect. Nutheads.   

Edited by kcpattaya

10 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

Luckily no innocent bystanders got injured.
Condemned are the PARENTS of these brainless idiots.
None of them with a driver license; speeding without helmets... It is like begging for suicide.
They got what they could expect. Nutheads.   

Once, i thought my life was over (16teen), or so.

Then i realized how much i would miss. Am here today.

I mean, you can be dead as long as you like, but i have something to do first . . .