me leasing the wife's house

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The logic escapes me. If she's not scared of corrupt government officials, why is she paying protection money?

Her gang bosses pay the protection money, not her.

She's only a minor cog, but expects blanket protection for our entire family.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The lease would have to be fairly ironclad, so the OP would need a good solicitor. I can understand why he would want to protect himself.

Incidentally, OP, if you are hoping for rent assistance from Centrelink, forget it. We are non-persons in that respect.

Point 1: Ihave not had rent assistance since I told CentreLink that I was moving out of Australia years ago.

Point 2: the lease is not for protection, it is for proof of address with immigration but I have been told by someone who knows that it is not required on this occasion. As my wife will get the house book for this property and that we use that.

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

She worries about legit police interfering in her criminal activities.

Although it's her gang bosses paying the protection money, not her.

Don't you get worried you might get caught up in her nefarious activities?

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

Point 1: Ihave not had rent assistance since I told CentreLink that I was moving out of Australia years ago.

Point 2: the lease is not for protection, it is for proof of address with immigration but I have been told by someone who knows that it is not required on this occasion. As my wife will get the house book for this property and that we use that.

I was thinking more of the situation that could arise if your wife decided she didn't want you around anymore, or if she died before you and her relatives wanted the property.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Don't you get worried you might get caught up in her nefarious activities?

I used to, but now I avoid all her Thai associates, and am careful nothing happens where I live.

I try to maintain plausible deniability. I'm just a stupid foreigner that knows nothing, and has no money worth taking.

Not to mention my former SAS experience should protect me from any violence.  

(thanks fruity)

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Do immigration even have any authority over Thai nationals?

I suspect not, and my wife wouldn't care as she already pays 'protection' money.

They have enough to take them to court and then the fine was increased, I saw it happen last year for failure to lodge the TM30 on time. They lodged it 5 weeks after they moved and it was picked up when the husband did his 90 day report it showed a different address to what was on file so immigration ask questions and imposed the fine to which the smart mouth wife started to abuse the IO so it ended in court and the fine was doubled. I personally know the couple it happened to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

it was picked up when the husband did his 90 day report 

I don't do 90 day reports as I'm on a 1 year multi entry VISA.

Best to avoid CM immigration entirely IMHO.

I think you need to clarify your reasons for the lease. It is to provide protection if your wife decide to kick you out or to safeguard your home should your wife die? I leased the land from my wife registered at the land office for 30 years. The house is in my name. Our arrangement is to safeguard my home should my wife die before me. 

Always be worth more alive then dead...

Take the house on leasehold from a reputed developper in your name .....do not put anything in her name even if she is surely a totally reliable.....it avoids temptation.

Regarding TM.30... That has become a very controversial requirement (and guessing there are threads devoted to that in TM).  But I just read something last month where some immigration offices are ignoring it mostly because the web site doesn't work and there's no way to expect hotel owners, etc. to traipse into immigration every day just to file the stupid thing.  So, it may be "the law" but as many other "laws" it is not enforced in a universal way. 

Edited by bankruatsteve

6 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I used to, but now I avoid all her Thai associates, and am careful nothing happens where I live.

I try to maintain plausible deniability. I'm just a stupid foreigner that knows nothing, and has no money worth taking.

(thanks fruity)

Does your SAS experience protect you from being shot in the back?

10 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

(thanks fruity)

Well that explains everything, another former SAS, I should have known, I could not get through to any of those after I came back from Vietnam and tried to train them on how to think, they just could not handle that. The ability to think that is.

Edited by Russell17au

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Does your SAS experience protect you from being shot in the back?

I'm 62, I've had a good run, if it ends now, no regrets (Ok, I've had a few, but I did it my way)

PS. Russell, got back from Saigon last week, it was great.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I'm 62, I've had a good run, if it ends now, no regrets (Ok, I've had a few, but I did it my way)

You do seem to have mood swings between pessimism and optimism. Perhaps it's the cold pork pies.:smile:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I was thinking more of the situation that could arise if your wife decided she didn't want you around anymore, or if she died before you and her relatives wanted the property.

If my wife doesn't want me around anymore then she will still have to make the payments to the bank as I have put 0% down and she is doing everything with the bank in her name and I will make the monthly payments while I'm here and we are together. She already owns a house where her mother and daughter live and there is no other family to worry about. Unlike that ex-SAS that can't think straight who is only 62, I am 73 and I feel I am still going strong, so my wife is responsible for the house payments not me, but I will pay them the same as I would if we were renting, but I will look into the usufruct just in case anything happens to my wife and she dies before me (in bed)(suck it up MaeJoMTB)

30 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

PS. Russell, got back from Saigon last week, it was great.

I have not been back to Vietnam since I left there in 1967

3 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I have not been back to Vietnam since I left there in 1967

Saigon well worth a trip, VietJet ticket only $70 from Thailand.\

Same for me with house payments, she purchased with bank loan, I make repayments while I live there.

We ain't all that different.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Saigon well worth a trip, VietJet ticket only $70 from Thailand.

I don't think I want to go back there, out of the 8 man team I was in I am the only one left.

In Chiang Mai I arranged the USUFRUCT at the Land Office on the Mae Rim Rd.  The staff were very helpful and it only cost about 700 bht, no bribes asked for or offered.  The Usufruct will give you total control over the property for the stated period [usually 30 years].  The Usufruct expires at that time or upon your wife's death when it has to be renewed.  The usufruct can be renewed up to three times.

6 minutes ago, peterpop said:

In Chiang Mai I arranged the USUFRUCT at the Land Office on the Mae Rim Rd.  The staff were very helpful and it only cost about 700 bht, no bribes asked for or offered.  The Usufruct will give you total control over the property for the stated period [usually 30 years].  The Usufruct expires at that time or upon your wife's death when it has to be renewed.  The usufruct can be renewed up to three times.

It also expires on your death unless there is a 3 rd party contract, vvhich also makes it harder for her to sell/ mortgage

Yes you can,,, I do.

It gives me a legal right to the property for what was 15 years ( now 12.5)

Her family also wanted it this way to protect me. How much rent do I pay ?????

None of your business 555

19 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Same for me with house payments, she purchased with bank loan, I make repayments while I live there.

But my wife didn't even want me to pay the deposit, so it is costing me nothing except the bank payments while I am alive and we are together

55 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Thought Saigon was hot and dirty. Rats visible in broad daylight.

Much preferred Danang and Dalat. I could live in those places.

16 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Why" was not the question the OP was asking ! Something you misread perhaps to divert from the original posters intent

Seems the question was appropriate and contributed to a better understanding of the problem the O/P was trying to resolve.