Rouhani says Iran will remain in nuclear deal without U.S.

webfact

Rouhani says Iran will remain in nuclear deal without U.S.

By Parisa Hafezi

2018-05-08T191803Z_1_LYNXMPEE471LR_RTROPTP_4_IRAN-NUCLEAR.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Iranian President Hassan Rouhani attends a meeting with Muslim leaders and scholars in Hyderabad, India, February 15, 2018. REUTERS/Danish Siddiqui/File Photo

ANKARA (Reuters) - President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday that Iran would remain committed to a multinational nuclear deal despite U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw from the 2015 agreement designed to deny Tehran the ability to build nuclear weapons.

"If we achieve the deal's goals in cooperation with other members of the deal, it will remain in place... By exiting the deal, America has officially undermined its commitment to an international treaty," Rouhani said in a televised speech.

"I have ordered the foreign ministry to negotiate with the European countries, China and Russia in coming weeks. If at the end of this short period we conclude that we can fully benefit from the JCPOA with the cooperation of all countries, the deal would remain," he added.

The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is the full name for the nuclear deal, struck in 2015 between Iran, the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council - the United States, Russia, China, Britain and France - and Germany.

Trump's decision sets the stage for a resurgence of political infighting within Iran’s complex power structure, Iranian officials told Reuters.

Trump's decision to exit the deal could tip the balance of power in favour of hardliners looking to constrain Rouhani's ability to open up to the West.

"They will blame Rouhani ... They will continue their shenanigans at home and abroad. And they will have the U.S. to blame for the failure of the economy," said Abbas Milani, director of the Iranian Studies program at Stanford University.

Khamenei, whose hostility towards Washington is the glue that holds together Iran’s faction-ridden leadership, had said that Iran would "shred" the deal if the United States pulled out of it.

Rouhani warned that Iran was ready to resume its curbed nuclear activities after consultations with the other world powers which are part of the agreement.

Under the deal, Iran stopped producing 20 percent enriched uranium and gave up the majority of its stockpile in return for most international sanctions on it being lifted.

Trump's announcement was hailed by Washington's principal allies in the Middle East, Israel and Saudi Arabia, both sworn foes of Iran.

Trump, in a statement tougher than expected, said he would reimpose economic sanctions on Tehran immediately. His decision puts pressure on his European allies, who are key backers of the deal and reluctant to join the United States in reimposing sanctions on Iran.

(Additional reportin by Bozorgmehr Sharafeddin in London, Babak Dehghanpisheh in Beirut, Writing by Parisa Hafezi; Editing by Michael Georgy and Gareth Jones)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-09

11 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I hope UK, France, Germany and China all sign up major deals for Iranian oil in Euro, GBP and RMB.

Oh ye of little knowledge, those carpet's merchants will honor

those contract until and when it will suits them, they're not beyond throwing

those contacts to the garbage or hold foreign workers for ransom,

who can we sure that they will do that? simply because they did it already...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Well, Ezzra, to be honest, I trust the Iranians rather more than the Americans these days. 

With a name like yours I assume you know The Book of Revelation by heart so I don't need to explain Armageddon to you (great ending ?)

Edited by Grouse
  • Haha 1

The ink on the declaration signed by PT today wasn't even dry yet and the all to familiar rhetoric of threats from Rouhani regime started.

"Rouhani added that Iran could resume uranium enrichment "without limit" in response to Trump's decision to withdraw from the nuclear deal.

"I have instructed the Iranian Atomic Energy Organisation to take the necessary measures for future actions so that if necessary we can resume industrial "enrichment without limit," he said on state television".

Further proof of why PT left this deal, this nuclear poker game.So America wishes good luck to the international community, be prosperous ,stay safe.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/05/iran-negotiate-world-powers-nuclear-deal-place-180508190536432.html

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Emster23 said:

Iran doesn't need nukes to blow up the west. Just sit back and watch the fractures between US and Europe, etc. Trump will try to blackmail Europeans with sanctions against those who do business, as per agreement, with Iran. Hopefully the other signers of the deal will tell Trump to buzz off, he doesn't determine their foreign policy, they make a treaty and stick to it. They just want to make Europe, China and Russia great again....

Indeed. The way he operates he will start not supporting his Europeans allies as they don't support him. Putin and Erdogan must be jumping with joy! Next he'll be threatening to pull out of NATO.

Make America great again - make America isolationist again! Go Trump go - literally!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Iran 7,000 miles away poses no threat to USA.
Iranians are Shia Muslims whereas the 911 terrorists and those since were all Sunni, relying on funds from Saudi Arabia and UAE who are somehow regarded as Trump's friends.

So we have USA poking Iran from one side reimposing economic sanctions, and Israel prodding from another to goad Iran into war.
Israel has been attacking Syria regularly for the last decade. They have stepped up these attacks since February 2018, and launched another last night, killing Iranian personnel.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44046049

The timeline will be muddied and Iran will be blamed for any retaliation. Hostilities will escalate, and Trump and Netanyahu will claim "Now look what you made us do."

And American and allied forces will again be suckered into a Middle Eastern war on Israel's behalf.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

A very shrewd move by Iran: 'Enough. Now take your toys and go and sit over there. The grown-ups are speaking.'

I'm sure the Europeans have "interests" to protect but I'm also fairly confident they entered into the agreement knowing the US was backstopping it. I mean, what exactly is Germany going to do if Iran doesn't adhere to its obligations under the agreement?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I'm sure the Europeans have "interests" to protect but I'm also fairly confident they entered into the agreement knowing the US was backstopping it. I mean, what exactly is Germany going to do if Iran doesn't adhere to its obligations under the agreement?

Cross the bridge when they come to it, I would presume. Probably little to nothing. What did they do when India and Pakistan aquired nukes? Why is Iran different? 

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Well, Ezzra, to be honest, I trust the Iranians rather more than the Americans these days. 

Usofa is becoming steadily less relevant to the rest of the world. We've already seen that with the Trans-Pacific Trade agreement - when DT pulled out, the other 11 nations decided to just keep right on without him, and when DT hinted a few weeks ago that perhaps he might like to join after all but only if the rules were changed in Usofa's favour, the 11 basically said: Get real! [Sounds a bit like the Brits & EU!]

In Syria it's obviously not Usofa running the show, but Turkey, Iran & Russia - who now meet regularly to coordinate matters. In fairness to DT, of course Obama's vanishing red line set this up.

Even on the Korean peninsula, it's Sth & Nth K that have gotten together on their own initiative, although DT's arm waving no doubt helped. His now-planned meeting with Little Kim is mostly just face-saving symbolism to begin the process of genuine peacemaking & edging Usofan troops out.

And close to home, all of ASEAN is increasingly sucking up to the Chinese. Usofan performance on the Sth China Sea problem has been hopeless over the last several years. The only way to get Chinese troops & missiles out now would be by open warfare, which isn't going to happen. So all the neighbours have now to live with a very large & uncomfortably bossy new neighbour ...