Bike alarm in the middle of Bangkok?

I like to get some opinions about bike alarms, and maybe locks, in the middle of Bangkok.

I mention the middle of Bangkok because this is about parking in shopping centers or somewhere near security guards.

And that is obviously a different situation than somewhere in a quiet street or village.

I heard lots of alarms in Bangkok parking spaces and it seems nobody cares. And often the alarms get triggered by people (accidently) moving that bike a little etc.

So I think does it rally make sense to have some alarm if nobody cares? And if it sounds a loud alarm again and again then people get probably only annoyed. That also won't help.

About locks: I read the suggestion of using the steering lock and a disk lock on the rear wheel. The idea is that it is a lot easier to (half) lift a bike with just a lock at the front (steering and/or disk lock) compared to having the front locked at an angle and the rear wheel locked.

Opinions?

Disc locks on both wheels. Large padlock around the wheel spokes if the bike has a rear drum brake.  The day you don't do this will be the day it disappears. Really worried. A cable lock through the wheel and frame and around a nearby support/lamppost etc.

Noise making alarms are OK but they usually illicit the "cry wolf factor" if they get set off by simply moving the bike in a crowded bike parking area. Some disc locks come with built in sqauwky alarms equally annoying but OK outside your bedroom at night.

Anything that makes your bike less attractive to steal than others! 

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

quiet street or village.

Is quiet because nobody is there but if you routinely park there something desirable, it will be equally vulnerable. 

I live near Prakhanong BTS I have a disc lock I won in a draw. Come and buy me a beer at my local bar and it is yours.

The most comfortable solution is to get a theft insurance.

If you want to be safe you can get a big chain lock from for example Abus and lock your bike to another object. Expect to pay something like 10k THB for such a lock in Thailand, but then the only choice for a thief will be an angle grinder which will attract some attention ;)

I  fitted an alarm to my daughters bike,but she will not use

it,she was parked under the flight path of planes landing at

CNX airport,and that set it off,same with the Hi viz jacket I

got for her,will not wear that either,sometimes you just cannot win.

regards Worgeordie

49 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I  fitted an alarm to my daughters bike,but she will not use

it,she was parked under the flight path of planes landing at

CNX airport,and that set it off,same with the Hi viz jacket I

got for her,will not wear that either,sometimes you just cannot win.

regards Worgeordie

I can't help you with the airport but maybe ask one of the shops in Patunam to put a designer label on that jacket. That will increase the chance that she will wear it tremendously.

Master (brand) lock and chains X 2. One around the seat and back wheel and the other around that and around something solidly attached to footpath. Masterlocks are the best! Can get them on AliBaba

On 5/10/2018 at 5:43 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I can't help you with the airport but maybe ask one of the shops in Patunam to put a designer label on that jacket. That will increase the chance that she will wear it tremendously.

And maybe tear some large rips in the vest. That seems pretty popular.

brought an ABUS lock and chain from Europe (long enough for the lamppost) for the frame, and use one long local wire thing through both wheels.
but beware, no copy of the key for my ABUS Lock in CM.

Otherwise, you may E-bay the
Stop Thief bicycle-saddle-pedal-powered-corkscrew  
featuring a hidden activation lever with safety latch.
;-)

Disk locks, heavy ABUS chains in tempered metal and any other device to delay the theft can be useful.

It can also be a good idea to chain up the bike against any structure that is already cimented on the pavement, as if the thieves are a gang with a truck, they plainly will lift the bike and put in in the truck.

No system is flawless.  They plainly delay or discorage theft. But all are useless if the bike user is too lazy to use them and to undertake the ritual of chaining up after parking.

Small and affordable GPS trackers are available all over the net. If worth, one could always have a small unit fitted up.

i had the alarm go off on my bike,

i went out on the balcony, looked down,

and saw a couple of thais trying to break the lock on the scooter next to my chopper, the reason my alarm went off was they wanted to peek under

the cover to see what it was.

from this i can conclude they werent overly worried about an alarm go off,

i can also conclude they thought stealing a shitty scooter was

better than a chopper, guessing to avoid heat from police,

and easier to sell without stirring up stuff.

anyway i wandered down with my baseball bat trying to catch them,

but alas they had a 3rd lookout and i never saw anyone run so fast

7 minutes ago, poanoi said:

and saw a couple of thais trying to break the lock on the scooter next to my chopper, the reason my alarm went off was they wanted to peek under

Interesting.

I also heard that popular scooters and the usual 110-150cc bikes are mostly targeted by thieves because the bikes and parts are easy to sell.

On 10/05/2018 at 12:43 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Exelent !!! good thinking !!!

I left Vancouver partly for the constant b&e 's. I have no desire to live anywhere in Thailand where one would worry so much about motorbike theft. Glad I live in Chiang Rai. Maybe a few years from now I'll be buying big locks too. Sad.

8 hours ago, poanoi said:

Calm down old timer.

Just yell at them from balcony, safer.

ya they prolly needed scooter parts.

Those Abus disk locks can be picked real quick by a skilled picker.

2 minutes ago, papa al said:

Calm down old timer.

Just yell at them from balcony, safer.

They prolly needed scooter parts.

it was a very old and odd looking scooter,

not worth more than 7k baht.

judging by the speed with which they ran off,

coupled with the trails of shit in their path,

i'd say they will never go anywhere near that soi again in their lifetime,

just a pity i didnt have any shoes for running,

i was stuck in my flip flops with zero ability for movement,

and cant find big shoes in this cursed country

2 minutes ago, poanoi said:

it was a very old and odd looking scooter,

not worth more than 7k baht.

judging by the speed with which they ran off,

coupled with the trails of shit in their path,

i'd say they will never go anywhere near that soi again in their lifetime,

just a pity i didnt have any shoes for running,

i was stuck in my flip flops with zero ability for movement,

and cant find big shoes in this cursed country

you bad !

Usually thieves will target popular scooters such as PCX, Aerox, because they want an easy job and easy money (quick to sell for parts).

Big bikes are not really targeted as much, especially if you mostly just park at home or other places with security, very unlikely to happen.

• 4 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 5:35 PM, poanoi said:

On 5/10/2018 at 2:54 PM, VocalNeal said:

Disc locks on both wheels. Large padlock around the wheel spokes if the bike has a rear drum brake.  The day you don't do this will be the day it disappears. Really worried. A cable lock through the wheel and frame and around a nearby support/lamppost etc.

Noise making alarms are OK but they usually illicit the "cry wolf factor" if they get set off by simply moving the bike in a crowded bike parking area. Some disc locks come with built in sqauwky alarms equally annoying but OK outside your bedroom at night.

I have an Abus Flexi (which I sometimes use) but my problem is that someone is messing with my bike...taking bits off and causing damage.

Can you recommend an alarm which simply detects such meddlers or reacts to vibration.
I especially don't want a complicated system including remote starting, immobilisation and tracking.
I tried a noisy disc lock via Lazada but it failed within a week.

Thanks.

Even the best ABUS disc lock won't last more than 2 minutes and half with a grinder, chains maybe 20-40 seconds.

They're just good anti bolt cutters locks.

So maybe 2 disc locks so they won't be able to move the bike easily, at least they would have to cut one lock before.

If they want to break your steering lock, they will do it in 30 seconds.

But anyway bike thieves are mostly stealing honda waves and stuff like this around here. Never lock my bike (wich ulock or disc lock) in Bangkok.

Archived