Overheating smartphone on KLM jet forces authorities to re-examine the ‘batteries on planes’ issue

webfact

Overheating smartphone on KLM jet forces authorities to re-examine the ‘batteries on planes’ issue

By The Thaiger

patrickkopb777bvsaankomst230217-13422-10  

PHOTO: KLM

A KLM Boeing 777 has now landed safely in KL following an 18 hour lay-over in Phuket after a ‘precautionary landing’ forced on the pilot after a smartphone over-heated, emitting smoke in the passenger cabin.

It’s not the first incident involving over-heating lithium batteries (if that was the cause) and is sure to bring another close examination of the safety of battery-powered items being carried on planes.

Further details about exactly what happened are still fairly scant but KLM have congratulated its cabin crew in handling what must have been a terrifying incident. The Boeing 777-300 aircraft was crossing the Andaman Sea when the drama first started to unfold.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/lifestyle/overheating-smartphone-on-klm-jet-forces-authorities-to-re-examine-the-batteries-on-planes-issue

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-11

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Come on. Would a bucket of water not have solved the problem. And 18 HOURS LAYOVER. I would be after some compo.

Flightslot?

Flightpath?

Staff searching for possible other reasons?

Checking the plane?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KamnanT said:

The reaction between lithium and water is normally quite violent.  Water would not be a recommended way of extinguishing a li-ion battery fire.

Quite a correct statement. But solutions to that kind of problems exist, as it could be seen during the very recent IATA Cabin Safety Conference held at the Bangkok Shangri La. It is simply a decision that has to be made by the airlines: is a little investment worth to be safe or are we willing to be sorry one day?

8 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Come on. Would a bucket of water not have solved the problem. And 18 HOURS LAYOVER. I would be after some compo.

Lithium reacts intensely with water, forming lithium hydroxide and highly flammable hydrogen. The colourless solution is highly alkalic.

Its still got to e safer to have your phone and batteries in carry on luggage in a controlled environment. What would happen if one ignited in the luggage hold ?  and FYI when a LiPo battery ignites there is no extinguisher that will put it out as its a violent chemical reaction. A bit worrying isn't it ?  Maybe all phones will have to be put in a LiPo fire retardent bag, same as we use for Radio controlled planes. More legislation to come !!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Why don't you Google up your solution Einstein Jr.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, wgdanson said:

When cabin fill with smoke you can't tell were it is coming from. Especially if in a overhead bin. Safety first...land plane, check plane out top to bottom. I wouldn't want anything less to feel safe when getting back on plane. 

Was the battery a cheap copy?

Many cheap cloned copies are openly available to purchase.

Flying is serious and so safety is paramount.

The flight deck crew plus cabin crew took the correct action. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Overly strict regulations on what one can carry onto a plane had me re-examine my travel plans in recent years, with the result that I fly much less these days. C'mon, if they wanted 100% safety, shouldn't they leave the planes sitting on the tarmac? No-one would come up with the idea to limit car or motorbike travel for safety reasons; on the contrary, here in Thailand the bikes even have the legal right to run people over on the sidewalk.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Its still got to e safer to have your phone and batteries in carry on luggage in a controlled environment. What would happen if one ignited in the luggage hold ?  and FYI when a LiPo battery ignites there is no extinguisher that will put it out as its a violent chemical reaction. A bit worrying isn't it ?  Maybe all phones will have to be put in a LiPo fire retardent bag, same as we use for Radio controlled planes. More legislation to come !!

I totally agree with most of your comment but...yes, there are fire extinguishers that can put Lithium batteries fires out...  As previously stated, these were on display at the recent 2018 IATA Cabin Safety Conference held at the Bangkok Shangri La this last week...

13 hours ago, malt25 said:

Would be easier to have a trapdoor, or several, to jettison burning batteries.

Well, it's no crazier that the metal box idea..... 

Seems useful, could also cover the odd bomb and drunk Australian. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, KamnanT said:

The reaction between lithium and water is normally quite violent.  Water would not be a recommended way of extinguishing a li-ion battery fire.

Ok grab the dry chemical extinguisher then because surely those dedicated flight attendants are trained in their usage :coffee1:

Edited by starky

12 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Hogwash! After the initial ignition it becomes only burning metal plastic and can be extinguished with any ABC class extinguisher or a dry chemical if your really worried. This case it didn't even flash up only overheated so it wasn't a lithium fire anyway

Edited by starky

On 5/11/2018 at 7:48 PM, mdmayes said:

When cabin fill with smoke you can't tell were it is coming from. Especially if in a overhead bin. Safety first...land plane, check plane out top to bottom. I wouldn't want anything less to feel safe when getting back on plane. 

Mostly planes could not land within 20 minutes or more - enough time for a full blown fire to take hold - 

Any smoke needs IMMEDIATE action.

On 5/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, hansnl said:

Flightslot?

Flightpath?

Staff searching for possible other reasons?

Checking the plane?

They changed the flightslot and path easily enough for it to land, so why not for take off again. 'Possible other reasons'? The battery is smoking, so check the plane for what else? 

• Sad 1

On 11/05/2018 at 1:57 PM, KamnanT said:

Thanks, I was aware of this but most people are ignorant of this fact, a thermal strong box on all flights may be necessary. 

2 minutes ago, rosst said:

Thanks, I was aware of this but most people are ignorant of this fact, a thermal strong box on all flights may be necessary. 

And everybody puts ANYTHING with a lithium battery into it?

• Sad 1

I think the key question being raised here, which apparently the airlines haven't fully dealt with yet, is what's the best, safest, most sensible measure onboard a flying aircraft to deal with a smoking battery or one that's actually caught fire -- both presumably rare but occasionally possible occurrences.

Different posters here are throwing out different solutions. It really shouldn't be that tough of a nut to crack.

On 5/11/2018 at 1:57 PM, KamnanT said:

Wow, if one is slightly incontinent I suppose a waterproof phone is recommended.......

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think the key question being raised here, which apparently the airlines haven't fully dealt with yet, is what's the best, safest, most sensible measure onboard a flying aircraft to deal with a smoking battery or one that's actually caught fire -- both presumably rare but occasionally possible occurrences.

Different posters here are throwing out different solutions. It really shouldn't be that tough of a nut to crack.

Open a window and throw it out. LOL

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

If a real tragedy downing a plane occurs we may have to fly without working phones, as was the norm 20 years ago

Would individual sealed storage in hold work , where temperatures are much lower?

I was on a small Alaskan plane and larger hand luggage was taken as we boarded for space reasons.It was a v small I think 20-24 seater.

In Istanbul I had my laptop taken with everyone else due to a new regulation, So on our flight Amsterdam fill c 350 people, probably 330 mobiles all less the infants and there was a queue of 100+ to collect computers ,iPADS,tablets etc.

You would think together a larger threat once a fire starts?

The airline were placing slim laptops in plastic bags and proudly stated 3-4 would be placed together in plastic flammable suitcases!

Edited by RubbaJohnny