Weakness looms for ThaiBev's earnings as Thailand stays sober

webfact

Weakness looms for ThaiBev's earnings as Thailand stays sober

Beer production in the country continued its rate of decline at -5%

Thailand is still not in the mood for drinking as its Office of Industrial Economics (OIE) said that beer production continued to be on a declining trend in March, signalling weak market demand. The rate of decline has continued from -19.5% YoY in February to -5.1% YoY in March.

In turn, this could hit the sales of the country's beer and spirits giant Thai Beverage. "Recovery in alcohol consumption in Thailand has been slower than expected," said RHB Research analyst Juliana Cai. "As such, we think that sales and margin in the upcoming 2Q2018 results would continue to be soft."

RHB Research's Thai analyst also observed that there was an increased number of craft beer producers in Bangkok city. "More breweries are trying to launch premium products to tap into the high-end market.

Full story: https://sbr.com.sg/food-beverage/news/weakness-looms-thaibevs-earnings-thailand-stays-sober

-- SINGAPORE BUSINESS REVIEW 2018-05-11

31 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Not surprised, cannot call the p** water they brew here beer   :bah:

Sadly, the mass market American lagers make Thai beer seem like a high end product.

I didn't find Chang to be that bad honestly, but Leo sucked.  I also tried "U" lager beer and it was absolutely dreadful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

changing the focus. Wine (red) what is going on with supermarket supplies? Chateau cardboard by the box just about non existent now the larger bottles are vanishing, Conspiracy to get us to buy expensively taxed 750 ml bottles?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greeneking said:

I am convinced the economy is not doing well and businesses and the population are having a tough time.

Right up until I see the latest government figures and I know I am wrong again. Ha ha ha.

It would be enough to turn me to drink if it did not cost nearly twice as much as 10 years ago and the pound wasn't down so much.

And the price of beer and whisky going up also.

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Of course beer production is down when the vast majority of drinkers can only afford backyard moonshine (Lao Kao)!

... and when people can't have a drink in a bar or restaurant on Buddhist holidays. 

2 hours ago, 1337markus said:

changing the focus. Wine (red) what is going on with supermarket supplies? Chateau cardboard by the box just about non existent now the larger bottles are vanishing, Conspiracy to get us to buy expensively taxed 750 ml bottles?

My local Macro does only got 5-6 different Australian made Wine boxes and Peter Vella from California, all the French  bottles disappeared after the last tax increase. The 3000cc Wine boxes went up from 600 THB to over 900 THB.    

Edited by HiSoLowSoNoSo