Prison director given 48 hours to recapture escaped inmates or face transfer

webfact

Prison director given 48 hours to recapture escaped inmates or face transfer

By The Nation

8cb3a6f848df41cef171197a244548d2.jpeg

As the manhunt continued on Sunday for two drug inmates who escaped from a provincial prison in Sukhothai on Saturday evening, the Corrections Department chief has given the prison director 48 hours to re-capture them or face a transfer.

Department chief Narat Sawettanan on Sunday said the Sukhothai Prison was a small facility that normally had 50 officers working, but had only three guards on the weekend night shift when the jailbreak occurred. 

Pol Lt-Colonel Narong Utbuawong of Muang Sukhothai Police Station said Surasak Mora, 41, and Chainarong Art-pan, 33, escaped from the prison at around 8pm on Saturday.

Narat said if the prison director couldn’t bring them back in 48 hours, he would face a transfer to an inactive post at the central department. A fact-finding panel has been set up to probe the jailbreak, which might have had accomplices helping the two fugitives. 

The two inmates apparently slipped out of the jail at night by climbing up their detention cell’s ceiling shaft and scaling down the east-side prison fence using a rope made from torn blankets.

One of the escapees then stole a motorcycle parked in front of a nearby house with a key still in the ignition hole, according to homeowner Krongthong Sangthong who ran out when she heard the motorcycle engine start but it was too late.

Chainarong was jailed for possession of 43.6 grams of “ice” and Surasak for possession of 16,000 methamphetamine pills.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30345300

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-14
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The two inmates apparently slipped out of the jail at night by climbing up their detention cell’s ceiling shaft and scaling down the east-side prison fence using a rope made from torn blankets.

obviously a plan requiring pure genius; add to that opportunity ,3 guards instead of the normal 50  ?;  the prison director should be sacked, reason being radical incompetence

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Drug addicts are not bad people. 

They shouldn't be in prison. 

My body my choice. 

At 44 grams of “ice” and 16,000 meth pills, they're beyond addicts.

They potentially can be the evilest of people, especially the meth heads.

I pity the person who makes the "choice" to use that sh!t, and most other drugs! To bad there isn't more education & avenues for help here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bannork said:

Upcountry  Thais leave their keys in the ignition all the time, especially if the bike is old.

well here in ubon the bikes i have seen the keys are never left in ignition especially at night

13 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I just dream (obviously) that one day a headline might read:

"Prison director given 48 hours to recapture escaped inmates or face dismissal and loss of pension"

Nobody gets the ack in Thailand unless you slap the Pm across the face Maybe then you will but that is impossible because he has guards all around him and you cant get near him So nobody will get the sack in Thailand

14 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

If they were addicts (and not dealers) and they consumed that amount of drugs (44 grams of “ice” and 16,000 meth pills), we wouldn't be having this debate if they were "bad people". Because,they would be DEAD people. 

Now there is a brilliant idea, next time the Police catch guys with quantities like this, they should force them to down them, problem solved, drug dealers found dead by drug overdose.

I am sure the message to other dealers would get around, no jail time, death by drug overdose if your caught dealing !

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

It worked in Portugal. They legalized all drugs and made them cheap and easily accessible. Within a few years there were no dealers left since there was no profit to be made, and most of the heavy users OD'd. Problem solved. Plus, most of the prisons were emptied, hospital ER units saw a big decrease in OD cases, and the money used to run them are now being used for public programs to benefit the general population.

Of course, this could never happen in Thailand, since it would destroy its major industry...Corruption. 

Yes and now the uk is full of Portuguese junkies selling their wares and I kid you not.its the same as opening free pubs-bars and giving alcoholics free booze.portugual couldn't handle the situation and gave in.my old city in the uk is plagued with them selling hard drugs.it should be either treatment or prison,they have the choice.there is no place in society for junkies that have self inflicted their problem and spread it to others.just look at Canada who's relaxed the laws and now seeing the consequences.i have two good friends from school who got into heroin and since then and forever will be stuck on methedone and incapable of doing a hard day's work.still two nice guys but completely <deleted>.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, greenchair said:

My body my choice. 

A drug addict in possession of 16,000 methamphetamine pills.. .I like your jokes they are very funny:biggrin:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, greenchair said:

My body my choice. 

LOL. Wait until a junkie robs you or runs down a loved one.

Many of these junkies have had multiple opportunities to change their lives and blew it. They have lied and stolen from family, friends and employers.

They are in jail to protect themselves and to protect the community.

Yes it is your body and yes it is your choice. However, don't demand or expect that society spend millions to save you or to treat you as you go from one medical crisis to another. Junkies suck up too many resources and that won't be stopped or reduced no matter how many  safe injection sites are provided, and no matter if the chemicals are legalized. 

The  two criminals in jail were not just junkies but were major pushers. One doesn't hold 16,000 yaba pills or 46 g of ice for personal use.  The chemicals these guys were selling were toxic poisons. The drugs were not manufactured with  quality control or in set doses. It was to be expected that some of the customers would die if they got some of the bad product. The pushers didn't care. They were selling to whoever would buy including people who were sick and to kids.

So please don't go off on a  tangent about poor  junkies. If I had my way, these pushers would be executed. They cannot be rehabilitated because they are rotten to the core, having sold poison to vulnerable people.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, greenchair said:

My body my choice. 

If so, pay your own bill then will you, damage third parties, medical misery, mental assistance etc.....then i do agree with you...live and let live,just don't bother me with your choice!!

8 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

a major loss of face and income

I have never seen any reference that states that there is a major loss of income with a transfer of a Thai government employee to an inactive duty station. Typically, such transfers occur when a crime or complicity in a crime will be investigated wherein individuals fall within civil service regulations and procedures. That would preclude any loss of income. So it would be intuitive that while duties will be reduced, there would be no change in pay.

So can you provide a reference that substantiates your statement?

Thank you.