Editor Removed For Mismanagement - Not junta Pressure: Bangkok Post

Editor Removed For Mismanagement - Not junta Pressure: Bangkok Post

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

BANGKOK — Thailand’s largest English-language daily newspaper Tuesday disputed claims by its recently dismissed editor that he was taken off the job under pressure from the military government.

Umesh Pandey, 44, held the Bangkok Post’s top editorial position from July 2016 until he was reassigned Monday. While Umesh alleges the removal followed his refusal to fold to censorship, a company executive and sources within the company attribute it to poor management and ethical breaches.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/05/15/editor-removed-for-mismanagement-not-junta-pressure-bangkok-post/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-5-15

umesh.jpg

Edited by Support
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I don't know if that is the real story. For example the Chiang Mai City Life magazine article has nothing to do with this. That's clumsy reporting.

It's true Umesh was hard hitting in his anti junta stance but he also seems to have pi..ed off a lot of staff at the BP. Perhaps a discreet talk with anonymous senior BP journalists will reveal more.

• Like 1

"Pandey spoke of his pride at the “hard-hitting news” that he and his team had produced."

Wishy washy at best - as for "hard-hitting" he must be joking - unfortunately he's not.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's hard to be hard-hitting in a country where the government detains disliked journalists for attitude re-adjustment, uses government agencies and the police and military to lean on or punish conduct they don't like, and in practice doesn't have any effective laws to protect journalists and the work they do.

Throw in the draconian criminal defamation law. And then add the fact that Thailand seems to have a pretty low professional standard for a lot of the people doing this work at Thai-owned media outlets.

All in all, it's a pretty toxic environment that makes it very difficult to produce a lot of 6quality journalism, at least, from the mainstream Thai-owned media outlets. I know I wouldn't want the guy's job at the BP, because I'm sure it would be an endless cavalcade of professional affronts.

No argument from me on your comment, just Pandey who said hard hitting - if he needed to make a pointed statement he should have said  "hamstrung". 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Just a reminder that the Bangkok Junta Post will be on sale as usual tomorrow.

im  fully  stocked  on  bog  roll  but  thanks anyway:thumbsup:................I do  need a  new  doormat  though!!

Edited by kannot
  • Haha 2