Hot and bothered in Thailand. What can help me cool off?

14 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

But take ear plugs with you unless you like listening to some girl chirping on a microphone non stop.

That doesn't happen every day and not everywhere in the Mall.

I can sympathize with the OP.. I sweat very easily.. and struggle with the humidity..  I don't mind 'hot' but the humidity kills.. so... I have developed strategies..   I get up around 4:30 AM and try to be out on my bike to ride for an hour around the bike track around the lake opposite our house while it is cool.. & quiet and enjoy the sunrise and 'good mornings' and 'sawadee khraps' with the other early birds.. coffee & breakfast when I get back and a bit of time over breakfast with the missus..  Do odd jobs around the house & garden until it gets too hot..  We don't have aircon but the downstairs floor of the addition I built on the house has cavity walls and stays relatively cool.. Showers.. lots of them.. if I get hot & bothered I have a shower (dipper is good).. sit in the cool part of the house with the fan on.. sabai sabai... read my books (Christopher G Moore is good)...'play internet'   as my wife says.. . in the hot part of the afternoon it is nap time in the cool room.. by 4 it is usually cooling down enough to venture out again.. visits to the Big C for shopping etc and coffees in a cool coffee shop.. etc etc..   Anger...  people and things don't make you angry.. we all react to situations differently.. anger is a choice..  Part of growing up and becoming a mature responsible person is learning to control our emotions.. Unfortunately it is something that many never learn and this has a profound effect on the ability to have good relationships..  Meditation has been mentioned above.. this is a good way to get in touch with yourself and your emotions.  Observe your anger as it comes up and perhaps find a different path to dealing with your frustrations.. If all else fails .. get an air-conditioner! 

• Like 2

Put ice in your underwear and throw in a scorpion, some red ants, and a centipede.

You won't have time to think about the heat.

I do it every day.

Yes, it is hot in Thailand. In Chiang Mai, there are about 340 days above 32.2C or 90F. 

I know that I am going to sweat and maybe get angered.

Meditation and Buddhism work well.

Malls, 7-11s, Tesco express have FREE A/C. When you see a 7-11,

walk in with no intent to buy, and enjoy 2-3 minutes of A/C.

Millions of Thais do it everyday. A Thai pooying told me of 7-11 air.

Pools, showers, hoses, and drink lots of water.

The most important things is stop getting angered. ONLY you get you angered.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, what are you actually angry about, I doubt its the weather, its just the trigger. 

If the heat makes you angry, buy an air conditioner.

Anger usually stems from something you feel you cannot control, an injustice, trapped in a situation etc.

Maybe work out what you are angry about and work backwards from there.

Yes the heat just brings it out but there must be an underlying issue.

31 minutes ago, Catoni said:

He will never acclimatize to the hot tropical climate by spoiling himself with air con. All air con will do is guarantee that he suffers even more every time he steps outside. I will never use more than a fan in my rooms. And I do my best to avoid air con if at all possible. 

Do people worry about "acclimatizing" in the middle of a European winter ? You usually adjust your environment to cope with the weather, heated house, car, workplace, shopping mall.

For some reason it doesn't seem to be the case in a hot climate, you need to somehow get used to it. Back in Australia I heated my environment for 2-3 months through winter and the cost was part of the cost of living. I do the same for cooling my environment during the hottest 2-3 months in Thailand. 

The same logic about being hotter when you step outside doesn't seem to apply when its heating and you will be colder when you step outside. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Catoni said:

He will never acclimatize to the hot tropical climate by spoiling himself with air con. All air con will do is guarantee that he suffers even more every time he steps outside. I will never use more than a fan in my rooms. And I do my best to avoid air con if at all possible. 

By acclimatising I take it you mean get used to sweating? as this is the main tool the human body has to keep cool.

When it gets hot - high 30's plus high humidity your body is struggling to keep cool so if other issues arise your not going to be able to deal with them in the same way as you would when your "cool"! Further if your sleeping in a hot room your body is not getting the quality rest it needs to clean up and regenerate, its more focused on the cooling process! :shock1:

Personally I will stick with AC, far more comfortable and less stressful on my delicate body :smile:

• Like 1

acclimatize is a thing actually, the first year here i stayed outdoors

almost all the time, that meant no air con, no fan, and my skin was dry.

after that year tho, i have been staying indoors, with either air con or fan,

and i get all sticky within 5 minutes without aircon/fan, and it sux ass.

i still dont feel like spending more time outdoors tho, i get too much back pain from it

Get around your dwelling in boxers.

Switch on a fan. Air movement works most of the time.

Live in a condo with a swimming pool

If it's too hot after all that, switch on the aircon for a couple of hours.

Stay off TV if you have anger issues. There are some pretty good provocateurs here.

I generally cool my heels in the lagoon style swimming pool, watch a movie at the Avenue

Mall theater, or call for a room-service massage. Sometimes all three the same day. All 

options are available at almost any time.

4 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I'm in the USA at present, but I just drank eight 12-ounce cans of Budweiser.  20+ year old central air conditioner is acting up, so I'm wearing a sarong.  Life is good.

You're lucky, Budweiser tastes like piss to me.

"Be cruel to the little people and gain satifaction from that." What do you man by the little people?

What about the ones who live in big houses and drive big cars. and have big bank accounts at the expense of "the little people"? ie these posing as police officers with the fancy ranks.

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Coincidentally, the boxer shorts I'm wearing underneath are a great match for the pattern of the sarong, in color and pattern.  Sure you don't want a peek up my skirt? 

I'm sure there are a few who would here on Thaivisa, but don't count me as one. :cheesy:

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

I generally cool my heels in the lagoon style swimming pool, watch a movie at the Avenue

Mall theater, or call for a room-service massage. Sometimes all three the same day. All 

options are available at almost any time.

Heels, Ulic.....?

:laugh:

https://www.thaiwakepark.com/

Bangkok, Korat and Pattaya.

Bangkok, (lamlukka) is recognized as one of the best wake parks internationally and certainly one of the top in asia.

I rode about 120 days last year,  in 3 different countries in SEA touring 6 different wakeparks and anyone near thai wakepark lamlukka is blessed.

gets you in epic shape and certainly allows you an outlet for stress.

filled with real people too, no sex tourists or hookers.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

https://www.thaiwakepark.com/

Bangkok, Korat and Pattaya.

Bangkok, (lamlukka) is recognized as one of the best wake parks internationally and certainly one of the top in asia.

I rode about 120 days last year,  in 3 different countries in SEA touring 6 different wakeparks and anyone near thai wakepark lamlukka is blessed.

gets you in epic shape and certainly allows you an outlet for stress.

filled with real people too, no sex tourists or hookers.

Please, what's a WAKEPARK?

24 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

see that bold text up top, thats a hyperlink - a pathway to additional information. 

No need to be sarky. But now I know that it is water ski-ing on one big ski. And here was me thinking a Wakepark was where you went for fun after a funeral.

• Like 1

Dive in one of thousands of condo pools that never get the sun,. You know the ones they can’t  give away, due to Thailand’s piss poor architects. For 9 months of the year they freeze your nuts off.☃️❄️

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

No need to be sarky. But now I know that it is water ski-ing on one big ski. And here was me thinking a Wakepark was where you went for fun after a funeral.

not meaning to be sarky in the least, however the infomation was all there.

and its more akin to a snobaord than a ski as feet are sideways rather than facing the direction of travel and there are a number obstacles and ramps to be ridden, very like a skate park.

there are also behind the boat options for both wakeboarding and waterskiing  near the prathum thani/ayutthaya border.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Why not drink BEER instead. lol

They don't have real beer in the USA...

3 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

You're lucky, Budweiser tastes like piss to me.

I admire your culinary experience. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Do as one of the popular Thai sayings. You think too much. I’ve AC i. The bedroom. When I go outside take a ride on the moto or car and enjoy the country side. If I need something from the store 20 km away 

I usually wait till late afternoon. 

Getting angry while it may give quick release will make for a shit day. 

Ahhhh the prefect solution listen to music with earplugs that you enjoy

and calm the mind

im a hot head but have been trying to go with the flow cause we’re not going to change it much