Bangkok Taxies... Worse than ever?

khunpa

...will never forget one ride....

...I insisted on meter....

....he bragged about how his target is 20,000-30,000.....a day...!!!

....this thing that a Chinese tour guide was busted for.....

...taking customers to shops and getting a percentage.....etc...

...so gotta figure...if you encounter one of these predators....the outcome cannot be good...

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

It’s hard to imagine a more missable job than driving a taxi downtown. I do not see how making it more miserable turns out well.

But is that a reason and a justification to shamelessly cheat customers, refuse runs or the meter ?

• Like 1

But is that a reason and a justification to shamelessly cheat customers, refuse runs or the meter ?

I don’t seem to get cheated. If they don’t turn on the meter, I get out.

I’m sorry, I just think trying to run a complex sting operation on taxi drivers would be counterproductive.

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

I don’t seem to get cheated. If they don’t turn on the meter, I get out.

I’m sorry, I just think trying to run a complex sting operation on taxi drivers would be counterproductive.

well not turning on the meter is an attempt to cheat IMHO.

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

...and the other 90% accept passengers with no problems.

Well, we disagree as we usually do.

I would put it more at 70% that get on with the job and 30% that are up to every trick in the book.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Airalee said:

Having lived in Bangkok for about 6 months now and taken numerous taxis (at least 5 rides per week), I have only once experienced a taxi driver who didn’t want to use the meter and this was returning to my condo near Phra Khanong from Pantip Plaza during rush hour.

Every other time, the taxi drivers have used the meter.  What I wonder and the questions I have regarding all the people who claim to have so many bad experiences are...

1.  Do you smile as the taxi approaches and pulls over for you and then open the front door and politely let the driver know, in Thai language, where it is that you desire to go?  When I need to go to see a doctor at Vichaiyut, I always open the door and politely say “Kor bai Rong Payaban Vichaiyut krab”. They then nod their head, I get in the back seat and say thank you (also in Thai).  One doesn’t need to be fluent in Thai to have this limited interaction.

or do you

2. Flag down the taxi with the usual expat scowl that is all too common and just blurt out in English the name of your intended destination as you pile into the back seat?

Around Nana plaza and Soi Cowboy they don’t want to use the meter. They want 100 to 200 baht. Beers cost 100 to 200 baht in those areas and everything is higher including street food etc....

Taxis  love to go to Swampy but sometimes Don Mueng is a no go for some taxis. 

Sometimes but rare a taxi driver does not want to go to a certain destination but otherwise the taxis are pretty good especially around Phra Khanong and other Thai neighborhoods IMO. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hummin said:

My gf or the hotel staff speak thai, and we stil get refused to have a ride. So my experinece is bkk taxi sucks big time. 

Download the Grab app and enjoy their service. 

My lady is Thai and is very polite but last month we experienced 12 taxis refusing to take us where we wanted to go with the meter before I gave in because I wanted to do more with my life than hold out any longer.  About 30 minutes at that point.

Interestingly a number of taxis drove past empty, but not looking for pickups - presumably on their way to do  a Grab taxi pickup?

9 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Around Nana plaza and Soi Cowboy they don’t want to use the meter. They want 100 to 200 baht. Beers cost 100 to 200 baht in those areas and everything is higher including street food etc....

Taxis  love to go to Swampy but sometimes Don Mueng is a no go for some taxis. 

Sometimes but rare a taxi driver does not want to go to a certain destination but otherwise the taxis are pretty good especially around Phra Khanong and other Thai neighborhoods IMO. 

Sounds like it really depends on the location then because as you say, they seem to be quite good here by the Phra Khanong BTS.  

I have had times where they weren’t sure of the location where I wanted to go but on those rare occasions, I just pull up google maps and show them where it is and off we go.  I actually feel sorry for the taxi drivers seeing how little they must make at ฿8/km which pays for their car, gas and income.  

13 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Are you for real?

You are trying to tell us how to behave in a simple matter of ' hailing a taxi? '

Many of us on here speak Thai and have been in the capital a lot longer than six months and suffered at the hands of cheating, conniving, rude taxi drivers.

They refuse to put on meters, say their meter is broken, they smile and try to organize an inflated fare without putting on their meter, many refuse to pick up when they are not facing that direction, and others want fees far in excess of the meter charge if it's raining!

Regards speaking Thai, many of them could help themselves by learning a little English, considering they are working in the nation's capital, the number of international arrivals and the fact that English is accepted as the universal language.

You obviously must be an expert on the behavior of expats in Bangkok to make such a silly comment as your bullet point number 2 above.

Actually what he said is right. But he forgot one more important thing: Always get a taxi that is driving on the street, not a taxi that is standing somewhere.

I think having problems with a Taxi often comes from a bad attitude of the customer. I know Thai people who regularly have problems with taxis while I hardly ever have problems with a taxi. Of course it can happen that a taxi doesn't want to go where i want to go or tells me "300 baht", but this happens rarely and then i just get the next taxi, so what.

I started to get sick of BKK Txi BS’ing 13 years ago. As always someone here would chime in with … but they are 1/3 the price in the west yadda yadda yadda

I just don’t take them anymore. I have taken 3 taxis in BKK in the last 10 years. I am writing this from the Taipei Starbucks. I will be in BKK by 11 this morning. I will then take the shuttle bus to DM for upcountry flight. Would a taxi be more convenient? You bet, and its not the money. It’s the hassles, assorted crap and what scam are they going to pull this trip. I just don’t anymore.

Edited by LomSak27

49 minutes ago, jackdd said:

then i just get the next taxi, so what.

If you have the Grab app, problem solved, you get answer in a minute, price, time to pick up, what kind of car and driver, and also different driver options, if there is more close by ;-) 

Why run in the street looking for some taxi, when you can sit and relax and wait. 

My experience is the destination you want to go to that is the trouble most of the time for them. Not we are not polite, wrong approach, do not go out in the street, and if we living at a hotel, we have the staff there running in street for us, so all this wise comments that it have to be us there is something wrong with, well, Im happy for those who feel they are special since they never have problems. Im not spending my time in BKK running for a taxi when they should be there for me, and service me. Grab those that, and I was so relieved last time discovering their service. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

I started to get sick of BKK Txi BS’ing 13 years ago. As always someone here would chime in with … but they are 1/3 the price in the west yadda yadda yadda

I just don’t take them anymore. I have taken 3 taxis in BKK in the last 10 years. I am writing this from the Taipei Starbucks. I will be in BKK by 11 this morning. I will then take the shuttle bus to DM for upcountry flight. Would a taxi be more convenient? You bet, and its not the money. It’s the hassles, assorted crap and what scam are they going to pull this trip. I just don’t anymore.

https://www.grab.com/th/en/taxi/

I live in Bangkok and I take a few times per week a taxi to Don Mueang and back.
As Rhijs mentioned it is indeed luck of draw. The taxi meter is mostly not the problem but nearly every time I fear for my life, most of them drive like crazy, totally irresponsible and this with very poorly maintained cars. And yes I have 20y experience driving a car in Thailand, the reason I take taxi is because there is no parking space available at Don Mueang. So to answer the question, mabe it is not worse than ever but for sure no improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It’s a game that has gotten old over the years.....

At the airport they complain of long waits to get into Queue then have short fairs to nearby hotels. I ask politely that they use the meter and that I’m going to my home or to see my wife....just something so they know I’m not a tourist. That seems to work well. 

When im out and about I try to pick up a taxi somewhere that’s not too busy. If I have to walk a block or two where there’s less demand, I’ve had better luck. 

Uber was nice while it lasted...meanwhile I have a perfectly good car that sits in the car park, and I hardly ever drive the damn thing because most places I go it’s hard to find parking! ?

On 16/05/2018 at 10:43 AM, khunpa said:

Also only ONE driver used the meter. ALL others demanded overprice to take me to my destination. If I had not agreed to no meter and overprice, I would properly still have been standing there. 

The FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT thing of this government was to finish with the taxi maffia.
Guess I must have sleeping 4 years.

43 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Taxis are so cheap in Bangkok, the inevitable fact that are a few bad apples shouldn't take away how lucky we are. It could be London!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I knew this one would come up as it always does regards taxi pricing.

Well, it's not London or Zurich or Timbuktoo, it's on the other side of the world,  we are talking about Bangkok where prices are relative to market forces.

• Like 1

I knew this one would come up as it always does regards taxi pricing.

Well, it's not London or Zurich or Timbuktoo, it's on the other side of the world,  we are talking about Bangkok where prices are relative to market forces.

I don’t know, I pay almost 3 times what I paid for a hotel 18 years ago, fuel has doubled, minimum wage has doubled but a taxi only costs 17% more...

I don’t know, I pay almost 3 times what I paid for a hotel 18 years ago, fuel has doubled, minimum wage has doubled but a taxi only costs 17% more...

These guys are making 30k per month, even motorcycle taxi drivers get 20-25k. So in perspective they are well paid. Agree often long hours mostly they work until they got 1000thb and call it a day..

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

These guys are making 30k per month, even motorcycle taxi drivers get 20-25k. So in perspective they are well paid. Agree often long hours mostly they work until they got 1000thb and call it a day..

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
A lot of them only rent the taxi they drive they also have to pay for fuel,
they have no social security or paid holidays.
If they wait at a taxi stand they need to pay.

Motorcycle taxis have to pay for their jacket (win) and place at a taxi stand.

1000 baht per day is still more than twice minimum wage.
  • Like 1

Mrs Poohy is a native Bangkoian.

We have had some monumental rows with taxi drivers as naturally she knows the quickest way and is not shy of imparting her knowledge.

re drivers

50% good

50% awful or problems with meter, refusing fares etc

• Like 1