Issues with my thai family

davidst01

20 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I sometimes wonder just how empty and pointless my life would be if I was worried about my gay brother-in-law touching my arm.

Now I know.

You hit the nail on the head.

Ranting on about the brother touching his arm for 3 seconds! Threatening with police and a lawyer - what!

The OP really has to realise that he has married into a culture that is totally alien- back in Kansas it’s unlikely that your brother in law is a lady boy- here it’s much more common. 

The underlying problem - the OP is homophobic, transphobic etc etc.

Get over it - move on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shaurene said:

I had problems with my wife regarding her grandson,  he is 14 and over the year he has stolen money out of my wallet, stole things out of our bedroom, I more or less banned him coming into the house. Wife went mad, said he is like her son. She looked after him since he was born. 

I sat down with the wife and told her straight, it is him or me. Take your pick. She came my way, he does not come in house any more.

i think this is the most applicable advice in this thread

• Like 1

You hit the nail on the head.

Ranting on about the brother touching his arm for 3 seconds! Threatening with police and a lawyer - what!

The OP really has to realise that he has married into a culture that is totally alien- back in Kansas it’s unlikely that your brother in law is a lady boy- here it’s much more common. 

The underlying problem - the OP is homophobic, transphobic etc etc.

Get over it - move on. 

How does not wanting a ladyboy grabbing your butt make you a homophobe?

Were it his sister in law grabbing his butt he would likely feel the same way. It is inappropriate.

The difference is that if it were his sister in law, the wife and family would be all over the sister to shut it down.

Poor ladyboy gets a pass along with the attention he so desperately craves.

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

From what you say, he is inappropriate with everyone, not just you,  and may be a bit mentally unstable.

I think you should stop taking this so personally, it is not specific to you alone.  The rest of the family has obviously opted to just put up with him, but if you do not wish to, then avoid him as much as possible, but indeed, as your wife said, in either case don't over-think the situation.

This

18 hours ago, mogandave said:

I think he’s just starving for attention. He gets a rise out of you, so it continues.

I agree you should do your best to ignore him. When he puts his arm around you for a photo and grabs your butt, laugh and grab one of his tits...he’ll get the message.

Why give him all the power? Don’t let a hateful a-hole ruin your family. “Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for someone else to die.”

Your sister has known and loved her brother for (I’m guessing) 20-30 years.

Don’t get caught up thinking it’s you or him, it’s you or her entire family, and that is a no-win for everyone.

“Blood is thicker than water.”

And this. Ignore it as best as you can and don't think for a minute that when push comes to shove the family won't side with him over you.

• Thanks 1

Make it clear to your wife You do not want him in your family He is not welcome If she persists tell her you will walk out of the marriage.

If there is a next time and he grabs you punch him very hard Let him know you are not going to take his crap  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick question - if the BIL were a macho kind of guy with lots of girlfriends, but also still a bit touchy in terms of liking to grab your arm when you catch up, would you have reacted similarly?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Haven't I read this before 

You haven't had a good run (a bit like me )

I would be keeping an I on the house papers, ect. Because I reckon the Katoey will be wanting 

Yes, you have a good memory. I wrote about this a few yrs ago when it first started. Im still putting up with this shit. 

• Sad 1

Just now, davidst01 said:

Yes, you have a good memory. I wrote about this a few yrs ago when it first started. Im still putting up with this shit. 

Dealing with ar$eholes is an unavoidable part of life. Just be cold and aloof towards him.

• Like 1

Dont buy build or buy any property in Thailand. You cannot own anything. Take it from a guy who has been there and lost a-lot. They all give you a lot of good bs, and it sounds good. Dont believe them. Lost land and money. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

You say you are still putting up with this s++t..... Why?

Are you a man, or are you just seeking attention?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You say you are still putting up with this s++t..... Why?

Are you a man, or are you just seeking attention?

He's in the old comfort zone with wife & child

He has also put everything into this

Going by his previous posts he has had a roller coaster ride

I'm wandering did he get a teachers job 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Never give money for a wife's business, it isn't investing, it's a gift, and she won't care about losing it.

If it's a worthwhile business, a bank will loan her the money.

If the bank doesn't trust her, why should you?

4MyEgo has it right about the rest.

Agree with MJ 

As this may be stretching your finances, don't expect any returns, the family will be their making sure of that from all the free stuff & the never ending of loan (gift ) requirements since the old saying comes in " You must have money, you own a business "

How true they don't think of the consequences about money/dealings

Next thing you,ll find out she took a loan out for a brother / sister (against the business ), so they can try & have a crack at some type of adventure. No doubt will all go to crap & relatives walk away (oh well that didn't work ).

Leaving your wife & you at a loss

By the way what's the business ? I'm sure its' been done before 

• Like 1

OP this is Thailand....  Ladyboys or fellas a little shy in the testosterone department scaring you?

My wife is in the medical field, a lot of ladyboys, feminin or gay men.   I used to be really uncomfortable with the semi touchy , feelies always pulling me,  to have a their picture with the farang, at social/work gatherings .  Wife and her female coworkers would see my discomfort,  would have great chuckles, show a little skin and ask "you want that or want this"....555

You'll win more points by having a sense of humor, mai pen rai.

As many have posted before, we (non Thai) are firmly positioned somewhere between the neighbors dog and a long since dead 2nd cousin, in Thai family alignments/hierarchy/dynamics (except between you and your wife/kids).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Yeah that will work 

My mate Nik the Greek had a similar problem with some guy in Oz coming into his milk bar. (Takeaway).

Nik just played him along. 

Saying..

You like me?

You want me?

Come here and i give you something you never forget....

Stopped real quick.

Quick question - if the BIL were a macho kind of guy with lots of girlfriends, but also still a bit touchy in terms of liking to grab your arm when you catch up, would you have reacted similarly?

Macho guy grabbing hid butt?

Did you mean to say butch?

Can you answer this question for the forum---you are homophobic correct?   Doesn't mean you necessarily hate gays but are uncomfortable around them and therefore don't like being touched by any guy whether straight or straight looking gay guy. and definitely not katoy's. Most guys don't freak out because some guy touches their arm for 3 seconds while talking and want to call the police.  I have a friend who I have known for 30+ plus years, known his gf's , family  and on occasion when drunk gets real affectionate says your the best man, great friend I love you man and will hug me. I don't freak out and feel like I am being assaulted. 

Some ladyboys are quiet others are flamboyant and over the top in their actions, seem he is like that. (probably some mental issues) You would leave wife and kid over  an occasion visit by BIL? I would limit my time around him and the family when they are together (could maybe go somewhere else) and ignor the arm touch ---no big deal but can tell him stop if he goes further.

5 hours ago, AntDee said:

Exactly. It's never talked about out of our Western PC culture. But, there is no doubt that Thailand is full of people born as men but who would rather be women. And, it's a sign of significant national mental instability in the male population. 

I'd recommend the OP to cut losses and get out of that pathetic sounding family. Gross. 

Mind you , you know what neutered cats are like. Fat, lazy and cannot be bothered.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, GarryP said:

Spot on. I have known a few transgender people over the years and some of them are very touchy feely - grabbing your arm and holding on is quite common with some. Nothing is meant by it in most cases and they do it with everyone, particularly male friends and members of the family.  Obviously, it could be a problem if you have issues with transgenders. But like Sheryl I think you are over thinking it. 

I remember years ago in a big store I was talking with a salesman, and he kept on touching me despite being warned to keep his hands off, I had to threaten him with violence to stop him then walked away and he lost the chance of a sale, I know he did not mean any harm, but no one in any culture should continue do things to anyone after repeated warnings not to, transgender or not.

• Like 1

Can you answer this question for the forum---you are homophobic correct?   Doesn't mean you necessarily hate gays but are uncomfortable around them and therefore don't like being touched by any guy whether straight or straight looking gay guy. and definitely not katoy's. Most guys don't freak out because some guy touches their arm for 3 seconds while talking and want to call the police.  I have a friend who I have known for 30+ plus years, known his gf's , family  and on occasion when drunk gets real affectionate says your the best man, great friend I love you man and will hug me. I don't freak out and feel like I am being assaulted. 
Some ladyboys are quiet others are flamboyant and over the top in their actions, seem he is like that. (probably some mental issues) You would leave wife and kid over  an occasion visit by BIL? I would limit my time around him and the family when they are together (could maybe go somewhere else) and ignor the arm touch ---no big deal but can tell him stop if he goes further.

When your buddy gets drunk does he fondle your butt?

I think there is a big difference between an affectionate hug, squeeze on the arm or shoulder, and a squeeze on the butt.

In any event, the ladyboy is not touching him to show affection, he is doing it for no other reason than to antagonize him.