Back to school for the aged in Khon Kaen - but is 55 really old?

webfact

Back to school for the aged in Khon Kaen - but is 55 really old?

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A school billed as one for the "aged" is open to those who are 55 and up.

Begging the question....is 55 old?

In most western countries this would be considered middle aged but in Thailand many still think that 55 year olds should be getting out their slippers and waiting for the grim reaper.

But don't most 55 year olds even in Thailand have the prospect of an average of 20 more years!?

The school is one of many such projects started in Thailand to combat loneliness among those getting on a bit.

The difference is that classes at Wat Pa Chai Wan have been funded by the participants themselves. There is no state funding.

The students will meet twice a month, three hours each day for the next year. If students complete all 24 sessions they will get a diploma.

Classes involve skill development and fitness.

Amnuaysin Suwanrat, 71, said she is really looking forward to the course as she has battled depression.

She said that she finds it difficult to meet and have activities with people her own age and will enjoy being challenged both mentally and physically during the course.

Khon Kaen deputy governor Santi Laobunsangiam presided over the opening of term yesterday as the group of "new kids" showed their respect to the Thai flag - something that will feature at 8 am just like in the schools of their youth.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-23

Good that they get some activities. That will mean a lot for many persons in the upper middle age of their life. Then their life suddenly means more than talking about what they eat, if the rice is growing and if it will rain tomorrow.

1 hour ago, gandalf12 said:

55 is definitely not old. Some people are old from birth others never grow old.

Depends on what type of person you are

So bloody true , I am 71 and feel younger than I did in England when I left at 58......er possibly. Although when I click  ' Submit Reply ' Nothing happens for 10 mins then 3 come up same same somewhere else.  Oh can't send in photos either. My fault for being 71.

17 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

So bloody true , I am 71 and feel younger than I did in England when I left at 58......er possibly. Although when I click  ' Submit Reply ' Nothing happens for 10 mins then 3 come up same same somewhere else.  Oh can't send in photos either. My fault for being 71.

I am 67 and still work.12 hours a day 7 days a week