How to marry a Thai national - advice please

Ooladolla

My partner and I have decided on getting married after four years together. I've looked at the requirements listed in both the Thai and Australian embassy web sites. 

This is what I have found :

All Australians marrying in Thailand must complete a pro-forma Statutory Declaration. It is a Thai government requirement that this be completed at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok or at the Australian Consulate-General in Phuket  

It is mandatory that both the Embassy and the Thai authorities be presented with documentary evidence confirming that the Australian citizen is free to marry.

***  In addition, You should check with the District Office (Amphur Office) where you intend to register your marriage, to ascertain whether your passport must be certified by the Embassy.  *** You can certify copies of your original documents in the Consular Services Section at the Embassy in Bangkok.

You must have your documents translated into Thai at a private translation agency. There are many in Bangkok who can do this in one or two working day

Step 3: Authentication of documents by Thai Department of Consular Affairs
After the documents have been translated they must be authenticated by Thai authorities. This generally takes two working days and a fee is payable. For information on authentications, please contact the nearest office as listed below :
Bangkok                     -  Department of Consular Affairs (Head Office)
          123 Moo 3, Changwattana Road, Kwang ToongSon Hong, Khet Laksi, Bangkok    
          Tel. (02) 981 7171

Step 4.
When you have completed the above requirements, you should visit any District Office (Amphur) to formally register your marriage.  You may wish to take an interpreter to facilitate communication with the Amphur officials. You may need to make an appointment before proceeding to the Amphur

Alternatively MARRIAGE IN AUSTRALIA:
Required Documents
    •    A completed Marriage Registration Form and Testimonial of Marital Status for both marrying parties. These documents can be download from the Embassy’s website. (Both documents are only in Thai)
    •    A valid Passport of the marrying parties.
    •    A copy of Thai National ID Card or Household Registration of the marrying parties if both parties are Thai citizens.
    •    In the case that either of the marrying parties had registered for a marriage before, a copy of Divorce Certificate must be submitted.
    •    In case a marry party is non-Thai, you can use an Australian Driver License.
    •    A Single Status Certificate, which can be obtained from the District Office that issued the Household Registration. If inconvenient, you may give a Power of Attorney to a representative to act on your behalf. This applies only to Thai marrying parties.
    •    In the case that the marrying party is non-Thai, Statutory Declaration of Single Status must be submitted after it has be certified by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) of Australia.
    •    Two witnesses must be present during the lodgement of the application with their Thai National ID Card or Passport together with a copy.

I lived in a defacto relationship years ago and have never been married. My Thai partner's husband died. We have a certificate of death to state that fact.

Looking at the first option of marriage here in Thailand, has anyone gone through the process recently so as to give me a realistic idea on what is required, how many days to allow for our stay in Bangkok etc.

thanks for any advice 

You can record marriage at any District Office - it does not have to be in Bangkok.

Do not know Oz Embassy routine regarding proof but once document obtained it is just routine translation/recording at MFA as legal document (translation service can normally do that and mail if you do not want to remain in Bangkok the day or two required).  The MFA recorded/stamped Thai translation is what you must present to the District Office.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

If she is different, crack on and best of luck...

As per post 3 above.. Affirmation of freedom to marry, from Embassy. Translated and then stamped at MFA.

Pop into any Amphur and pay about 25 baht for the official registration.

Then if she is not different, go back to the village for a fleecing party :whistling:

• Like 1

OP, all the steps you have outlined in your original post appear correct, free to marry document (also proof of divorce document, if divorced, original divorce cert not a copy) from OZ consulate, translated and certified at MFA, then local Ampher.

Maybe check required docs at local ampher first as they may vary.

The only thing that may slow you down is divorce document (if required) the OZ consulate will only certify an original divorce certificate, not a copy (they dont supply it). You can get a new original online from "births deaths and marriage" online from Australia and posted to Thailand, takes 3-4 weeks in the mail. If I had time over, I would have convenialty forgotten I was previously married and divorced,

Edited by Peterw42

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, all the steps you have outlined in your original post appear correct, free to marry document (also proof of divorce document, if divorced, original divorce cert not a copy) from OZ consulate, translated and certified at MFA, then local Ampher.

Maybe check required docs at local ampher first as they may vary.

The only thing that may slow you down is divorce document (if required) the OZ consulate will only certify an original divorce certificate, not a copy (they dont supply it). You can get a new original online from "births deaths and marriage" online from Australia and posted to Thailand, takes 3-4 weeks in the mail. If I had time over, I would have convenialty forgotten I was previously married and divorced,

I have never married and assume the statutory declaration from the Australian embassy is enough. What is the go with certification of my passport? Is that necessary? Thanks 

17 minutes ago, Ooladolla said:

I have never married and assume the statutory declaration from the Australian embassy is enough. What is the go with certification of my passport? Is that necessary? Thanks 

Depends on the local Ampher but usually required,

In the past the MFA accepted a translation of passport etc (and then certified the translation) but now they also want something from oz consulate to certify passport is real/current, not a Khosan road copy.

Start at the ampher and work backwards, they may want passport but will accept a local translation (not MFA) etc.

Where are you getting married (ampher), as people can probably offer specific advice for the ampher and requirements. If its Pattaya, PM and I can help.

Edited by Peterw42

29 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

I fully concur.

Just DON'T put everything you have ever strived, worked and achieved to be jeopodised by some greedy ignorant selfish <deleted>.

DON'T MARRY A THAI.

DONT MARRY A WOMAN  more fitting i think.

When I. Went to the  Canadian embassy they didn't even look at my divorce certificate. Just gave me a paper to.fill out and swear I was free to.marry. Then they gave me a letter to say I could marry.

I've been married to Australian, defacto to an Australian as well. 

Both left me with the shirt on my back. 

Last one even came back with a truck to take the contents of the house. 

So mate if you love her and it feels right go for it. 

To the knockers find something else to do with your hand. 

I have recently married.

It would be better to take your documents to chaeng Wattena there is a translation service on the 1st floor. 

We asked around for prices on translation even one near the embassy some were more than 10000.

Our cost was less than 3000 from memory. 

Bear in mind even government workers want some of your money for graft. I would recommend ignoring them

It takes about 4 working days for the necessary permissions to happen. 

Then after you get the necessary papers you can go to the registry office in Laksi I think. Anyway its not that far away. 

You will need witnesses x2. If you haven't got them some can be found for a fee. 

Hope that helps

Cheers and good luck

David

Ignore the comments from the drunken barstool cowboys because no decent woman will have anything to do with them so they must try and drag everyone down to their gutter level with their sarcastic remarks.

First: You need to download The Commonwealth of Australia Statutory Declaration from the Australian Gov website, fill it in stating the usual name and address and occupation then fill the usual declaration part about you wishing to marry your girlfriend and that you are not currently legally married, but do not sign it until they ask you to at the embassy, you will need your passport with a copy plus any previous divorce papers plus copies. It will cost you 2000baht for the Stat Dec plus 2000baht for each of the copies of the documents to be certified.

Second: Take all your certified documents to Mahatun Plaza on Sukhumvit Road north from the Australian Embassy and turn right and it is on the right hand side directly next to Phleon Chit BTS. There are several translation places in there, the one that I used was on the same side just up from the Bangkok Bank on the road out of the plaza. They will translate and lodge the documents with the Foreign Ministry and then they will post all the documents to the address that you give them.

Third: Collect all your documents and your girlfriends documents and then you are ready to go to the Amphur office to register your marriage.

I cannot remember exactly what the fee for the translation and the lodgement and post was, but I think it was around the 3000baht and it was worth it because it saved hanging around Bangkok for a couple of days.

Remember that your girlfriend must also get a "free to marry" document from her home Amphur office.

Good luck

Edited by Russell17au
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You and your future Thai wife will also be interviewed separately by the registrar at the Amphur where you to plan to get married.

You also have to show a certified document from your Embassy with what's your income.

This to proof that you can take care of her.

Yeah it's not easy and as other people said "don't do it".

To be continued. :cheesy::cheesy:

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, bandito said:

You and your future Thai wife will also be interviewed separately by the registrar at the Amphur where you to plan to get married.

You also have to show a certified document from your Embassy with what's your income.

Rubbish, you do not have to show proof of income or sit for separate interviews

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bandito said:

We were interviewed together and mostly was joking why get married as it had been working without for several decades.

As for income it is just part of the bio data information on the Embassy freedom to marry document.

42 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

We were interviewed together and mostly was joking why get married as it had been working without for several decades.

As for income it is just part of the bio data information on the Embassy freedom to marry document.

Yes thats right, but to imply there is a "formal" pass/fail interview process or a separate proof of income document is just adding unnecessarily to the process.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2018 at 11:39 AM, SpeakeasyThai said:

I fully concur.

Just DON'T put everything you have ever strived, worked and achieved to be jeopodised by some greedy ignorant selfish <deleted>.

DON'T MARRY A THAI.

Don't listen to retards seems to be a better advice. How do you know how good their relationship is? We're married for 15 years and I/we haven't regretted a minute of it. 

DON'T MARRY A RETARDED FOREIGNER. 

You must have your documents translated into Thai at a private translation agency. There are many in Bangkok who can do this in one or two working day

OP, you'll find plenty of people doing these translations near the embassy, or your embassy will give you the cards of some translators.

Some are quite efficient and translate all in one day. Good luck!

5 hours ago, bandito said:

You are talking rubbish, when we went to the Amphur to get married, i sat on a chair talking with another farang, i was never asked anything by anyone, only called over to the dek, sign here please, job done.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, colinneil said:
5 hours ago, bandito said:

You are talking rubbish, when we went to the Amphur to get married, i sat on a chair talking with another farang, i was never asked anything by anyone, only called over to the dek, sign here please, job done.

No he's not...   I imagine that for many of us only ever having done this once in Thailand, or at the most a very limited number of times we are unable to establish any 'norm' on an individual basis.

The Amphur in Klong Toey refused to Marry my Wife and I on the grounds that my Thai was not good enough. 

We were interviewed, I was asked questions, one of which was 'when did I come to Thailand'... I replied: '10 years ago'...  The interviewer seemed to have decided she didn't like my Wife and I (a rare experience for us in Thailand as we usually experience very positive encounters in similar situations)...

The interviewer (Amphur Office Officer) refused to Marry my Wife and I without a Witness implying that I my Thai was not good enough and that could be getting tricked into Marriage.

We headed straight over to Bang Rak Amphur office, I filled out a questionnaire and we were legally married 20mins later. 

The lady at the Klong Toey office was simply a nasty piece of work. The following day we received phone calls from an official in the Amphur office apologizing profusely - my Father in Law followed up quite angry at the treatment we received. 

Thus: To clarify - Some offices will want to interview you (in Thai), OR, you will need to have Witnesses if you don't speak Thai sufficiently, OR, some offices will be far more relaxed about the whole procedure. 

As is common in Thailand, each location will operate in a slightly different way. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The interviewer (Amphur Office Officer) refused to Marry my Wife and I without a Witness implying that I my Thai was not good enough and that could be getting tricked into Marriage.

Actually it is quite normal for non Thai to be asked to have a translator (neutral 3rd party friend of non-Thai able to read Thai) present to prevent any later questioning of paperwork he had to sign (which is only in Thai and can be used to set conditions of marriage).  This is to protect the foreigner and was asked of me.  As for actual signature witness 2 are always required.