Cost to repair hotel room door scratched by dog

giblet

9 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Some sandpaper, some colour and a few minutes time.

1,000 baht would be more than enough. Labor is almost zero. 

Next time, you might consider walking the dog to do its business. 

Repairman travel time, gasoline for travelling, time for buying supplies, cost of new tin varnish and lets not forget, the repairmen will be running a business so profit also. 2,000 is reasonable. Forget the 300 daily minimum wage, take into account the whole picture.

• Like 1

The "whole picture" is that a hotel would normally have an on-site handyman or some permanent arrangement with someone. If it was my hotel I would also keep some tins of the correct varnish in stock.

2000B is just plain ridiculous for such a small job.

• Like 1

The best solution is to replace the door and that`s what I would make the OP do if it were my hotel business. A good quality hotel room door, 10000 to 15000 baht that would include labour and fittings.

That does not look like either a good quality door or a good quality hotel to me.

2000B would buy a replacement door like the one in the picture (the whole door, not just a repair).

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its not my door and I dint have to repair it .

It was just making the point that its irrelevant as to how much things cost "back home"

It's spilt milk. 

Nothing in this thread is going to change the amount the OP pays.  But we may change the way the OP remembers his/her experience in Thailand.  He can either feel screwed, or he can feel he paid a fair price as the consequence of what happened. 

I've always preferred fond memories myself.  Apparently, some people revel in the sour taste of feeling screwed.  To each, his own.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

As I mentioned, which hotel is full at this time of year?

What do you think they do when rooms require other types of maintenance?

As for the owner's time, that's what being an owner means. Those who dont want to devote time to their business should not be in business.

You are talking absolute rubbish now. A guest wrecks a door and the owner has to put up with that because he is in business. You wreck and you pay. The owner is entitled to make a profit on that as he is in business to make a profit. 

14 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Repairman travel time, gasoline for travelling, time for buying supplies, cost of new tin varnish and lets not forget, the repairmen will be running a business so profit also. 2,000 is reasonable. Forget the 300 daily minimum wage, take into account the whole picture.

Well, fair, actually, I'd have paid 2 K without even asking anybody else if that's appropriate. No thread, no question. 

To do it well: 1500 to 2000

Patch up job about 800.

A small can of stain is about 300 baht and just touching up the damaged area will almost certainly look lousy so I think you're getting asked for a fair price.

13 hours ago, Jdietz said:

New door: THB 5,000

Fitting: THB 1,000

Hotel room out of order, 1 night: THB 2,000

Markup for inconvenience: ~ THB 2,000

So anywhere around THB 10,000 sounds quite reasonable.

A very pet-friendly price, don't you think? 

• Like 1

I didn't even add on a thorough cleaning of the no doubt trashed room by an abandoned dog, and misc. damages.

Pet friendly doesn't mean the same as 'Kennel'

you can have a pet with you in the room, not lock it up.

depends on the depth of the scratches, a simple sand and re coat if they are surface only but is they go deeper into the timber,  personally I would want to replace the door as filling the damaged areas with a wood filler will look very unsightly. If you are going to have pets inside a room then you need to take responsibility for what they do, looks like it was locked in there when you went out and was trying to get out to be with you so you really have no comeback on what he charges you. For a sand and re coat, a few hundred baht would cover the labour cost  but then you have  the material cost to buy a can of lacquer as well, if they are happy to fill and sand/re coat the material cost and labour cost will be more, 2000 baht seems reasonable , as I said I would want the door replaced if those scratches have any depth to them but I doubt thais would worry about that as they dont seem to place as much concern with the upkeep of their buildings

sanding the door properly will take an hour to do, get it clean and repainting and letting it dry will take more than an hour too. It'll be a crappy job if it takes less than an hour. I think 1500-2000 baht is a reasonable cost too.

9 hours ago, giblet said:

Yes, the owner says it needs to be sanded and re-varnished (not replaced). She says sanding will cost 1000 and varnishing will cost 1000.

Tosh, you know the cost of semi-skilled labour in Thailand? It's pennies for a job like this. Unless she has hold of your passport or other essential documents, I'd leave her 500B on the bed, take it or leave it. You think she'd charge a local that much? She's trying it on, call her bluff. 

21 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Tosh, you know the cost of semi-skilled labour in Thailand? It's pennies for a job like this. Unless she has hold of your passport or other essential documents, I'd leave her 500B on the bed, take it or leave it. You think she'd charge a local that much? She's trying it on, call her bluff. 

no, the doors are expensive, he is a lucky sod the landlord came up with

the idea of repairing it, that is not the norm,

normally its change door at the first sight of any damage, and that is well above 2k

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, poanoi said:

no, the doors are expensive, he is a lucky sod the landlord came up with

the idea of repairing it, that is not the norm,

normally its change door at the first sight of any damage, and that is well above 2k

Then we'll have to agree to differ; from the photo those are superficial scratches, repairable by sanding and re-varnishing in an hour or two, certainly not requiring a new door. If it were me I would not pay the 2000 - that is extortionate. 

18 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You wrecked the door, pay it isn't a fortune.

What about the time it takes to get it fixed and not being able to rent out the room for the full price? Oh, wait you don't care. 

And her inconvenience getting someone etc to do it ASAP and losing one or two more days rent while waiting for the fix.  Good thing for you it is not in the high season.  I am a dog owner.  Pay it!!!

A prof. outfit / contractor will charge from 1'200 - 2'500. Door needs to come off and be prepared, sanded and varnished. Fair enough 2'000.--

Prices here have a wide range. O.c. their handyman could do for next to nothing, but he is on a salary, too. MS>

The prices are inflated no doubt,  sandpaper 7 baht, tops 1 minute with elbow grease. If they have same stain in stock 250baht for small can.

The problem is you leaving tomorrow and your dog is not guest friendly in my book pay up lesson learn. Don't encourage your dog!?

So if someone backed into your car a sheet of sandpaper and a bit of paint and a couple hours would be fine.

You year it up you make it right. Spot sanding and painting will clearly leave it looking like it has been repaired.

It’s the owner’s right to have it repaired to as good or better than before the incident, and should also be compensated for any inconvenience.

Whether the hotel is fully occupied or not makes no difference.

And again, the jamb and plaster appear to be damaged as well.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, giblet said:

I do care, which is why I immediately offered to pay for it. Is there something wrong with wanting to know if it's a reasonable price?

You will have to learn to ignore some of our members who are rather challenged when it comes to reading comprehension 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, giblet said:

Yes, the owner says it needs to be sanded and re-varnished (not replaced). She says sanding will cost 1000 and varnishing will cost 1000.

Probably the actual cost to rectify this is less than 1,000 Thai Baht, but even in europe they'd double it. It's fair in my opinion  as the door will need sanding & varvishing & you don't have any time to discuss it with the hotel before you leave. Any serious discussion with Thai's here will only lead to confrontation anyway , so my advice is to smile & accept it. I'd just pay the bill & enjoy the rest of your stay ....... cheers

16 hours ago, giblet said:

Just checked out and the owner said she had called a repairman and the cost would be 1500. I paid without complaint and many apologies and everyone seemed satisfied.

I think that was a wise and responsible decision. 1500 Baht seems to be a very fair price and in fact that seems unreasonably inexpensive for the damage done. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 11:05 AM, Jdietz said:

New door: THB 5,000

Fitting: THB 1,000

Hotel room out of order, 1 night: THB 2,000

Markup for inconvenience: ~ THB 2,000

So anywhere around THB 10,000 sounds quite reasonable.

If you're going with a new door swapping to existing hinges can be done while room is being cleaned.

I think 2000 baht is a reasonable amount.

And understand that the next time you're there, door may not be repaired.