Why the English Fry Up is so symbolic of the Western Expat in Pattaya

webfact

4 hours ago, Rarebear said:

I was responding to Scooby and Puppy  who wrote, "You are joking surely,  there are places to get english food more than any other combined."

When another poster decided to dig his hole of delusion deeper by posting, "Perhaps in Thailand as a whole.....but this thread is about Pattaya, and there is more places serving variations of the English breakfast on the darkside alone than the combined total of all these others in Pattaya."

But, to answer your question 1.  It was designed by Americans. 2.  Served in 37 thousand American restaurants worldwide.  3.  Uses American ingredients.  Is a MacDonald's breakfast American?  Is a MacDonald's hamburger American?  Is Coke American?  I'd say yes.  Do Americans eat hot dogs for breakfast (American breakfast)? No.  What is American fried rice in Pattaya?  Something not eaten in America?  British breakfast at the Pig and Whistle?  I'd say yes but not at all the buffet at the Lek or Nana plaza hotel.   

designed the arrangement of eggs , cheese, english muffin and bacon?? those things occur in lots of country's breakfasts.! american ingredients? eggs? cheese? side bacon? lol

1 hour ago, AYJAYDEE said:

designed the arrangement of eggs , cheese, english muffin and bacon?? those things occur in lots of country's breakfasts.! american ingredients? eggs? cheese? side bacon? lol

Why is a British breakfast a British breakfast?  Eggs, hot dogs, fried potatoes, tomatoes and baked beans and bread (toast).  It is British because of the way it is cooked and served in the same way that American cheese is used on a perfectly round egg ring in an American version of an English Muffin and American sausage and deep fried tater tots for hash browns or whatever.  MacDonald's Egg McMuffin is American the same as the Pig and Whistle's British fry up is British.

Edited by Rarebear
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

MacDonald's used to use lard to fry French fries but I think they changed.  Fries were better before.

Yes, I'm a fan of lard in cooking, far better than any oils. Was just wondering if that's the 'authentic ingredient'.

On 6/8/2018 at 2:03 PM, Rarebear said:

American copied Pizza place and all the places serving variations of American hamburgers and fries. 

Hamburg Hamburgers , French Fries and Italian Pizza and ice cream , which the Romans made.......................all Food from America ?

20 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

McDonalds uses local ingredients wherever they are.

1. Do they call it a Thai Fry up at the Pig and Whistle in Pattaya when they use eggs from a Thai chicken? 

2.  Does McDonald's use Thai beef?

3. Is McDonald’s in Thailand's 100% Angus beef burger called Australian or New Zealand food?

4.  The reason many people eat at McDonald's is American food safety regulations.  American company, American recipes and standards = American food. 

Edited by Rarebear
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Hamburg Hamburgers , French Fries and Italian Pizza and ice cream , which the Romans made.......................all Food from America ?

Yes I would say so.  American Pizza has very little in common with Italian Pizza so much so to be a different genre.  America took the hamburger to far different areas than it was going in Hamburg.  Most of the grape vines in France are American (read  "Great French Wine Blight") however anti French we may be Americans don't refer to French wine as American wine. 

The food that McDonald's for the most part is American fast food and not Pub grub.  Pizza hut is American Pizza and has nothing in common with what is served in Naples.  The Hopf in Pattaya serves Italian wood fired Italian Pizza.  I'd say the Hopf is a German beer hall serving Italian PIzza.  McDonald's is American fast food.  That is the difference.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2018 at 12:44 PM, AYJAYDEE said:

but he is suggesting that the english fry up is symbolic of WESTERN expats!  As far as I know the term western means more than just England

" the term western means more than just England"

Not in the viewpoint of Brits!

On 5/29/2018 at 3:35 PM, Andrew65 said:

When your about to start an 8-12 hour shift, shoveling sh*t, you need some serious calorific intake, a bowl of "Granola" just ain't gonna cut it!?

Glad that shit shoveling job was never a part of my regime.

On 5/29/2018 at 11:18 AM, KittenKong said:

As for the best place to stay: that's in my condo. Many farangs here actually live here, and they dont need hotel accommodation here.

Just how many people Live with you?           ?

5 hours ago, watcharacters said:

"the term western means more than just England"

Not in the viewpoint of Brits!

Why that? That seems rather ridiculous. Brits don't have the monopole of "the West". In fact there are many EU people living more West than any Brit, by example in Portugal.

BTW I agree with the many people who made this remark already: English food is absolutely not symbolic of Expats in Pattaya.

8 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Why that? That seems rather ridiculous. Brits don't have the monopole of "the West". In fact there are many EU people living more West than any Brit, by example in Portugal.

That is quite funny , I do hope that you meant it as humour .

On 6/6/2018 at 9:05 PM, Rarebear said:

Would you care to place a wager on that?  Shall we add up the MacDonald's, KFC's, Burger King, Sizzler and Dunkin Donuts as opposed to the handful of British pubs in Thailand?

Thats not food, it doesn’t count...you seen how they make that sh*te?  I wouldn’t eat that crap with your mouth...uugh.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

Thats not food, it doesn’t count...you seen how they make that sh*te?  I wouldn’t eat that crap with your mouth...uugh.

Big Mac

520 calories

45 grams of carbohydrates

28 grams of fat

950 grams of sodium

24 grams of protein

British fry up

Fried Egg     2     160     10
Bacon     4     208     18
Sausages     3     618     45
Baked Beans     ½ Tin     140     1.1
                             calories        fat
Totals           1126     74.1

1126 calories British breakfast Big mac 520

I am an open minded person and dined on both last week.  Both fill me up.  I like both.  I'm an educated American so open to most other countries cuisine. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rarebear said:

Why is a British breakfast a British breakfast?  Eggs, hot dogs, fried potatoes, tomatoes and baked beans and bread (toast).  It is British because of the way it is cooked and served in the same way that American cheese is used on a perfectly round egg ring in an American version of an English Muffin and American sausage and deep fried tater tots for hash browns or whatever.  MacDonald's Egg McMuffin is American the same as the Pig and Whistle's British fry up is British.

nope, its because of different ingredients, fried tomato, beans and blood sausage. macdonalds is just eggs hashbrowns, bacon. nothing american about it

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rarebear said:

4.  The reason many people eat at McDonald's is American food safety regulations.  American company, American recipes and standards = American food. 

Where I come from American food safety regulations are regarded as useless. They are not consumer oriented.

23 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

Since you are not able to converse in any meaningful way I'll just put you on ignore and save us both some stress. 

Although this thread is about English breakfast in Pattaya , rather than McDonalds cleanliness 

• Like 1

Has this turned into a McD thread ? At least if you want to talk about junk food , try Burger King instead, their burgers actually taste something unlike that McD trash.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I sent them an email, no reply....Bigmac is advertised with melted cheese.....I have never had melted cheese in McD Ubon, even Mrs.Trans has ASKED for it to be HOT so the cheese melts...Never happened...bored.gif.52513ab8d2955adabc6e0e7a4c894e43.gif
Put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds or less depending on the microwave, too long and it will turn to molten lava and then once cool be as hard as rock...or D.I.Y burger at home.