Urine Drug Tests How to Act?

pr0fik

Just now, Just Weird said:

I know that, but that doesn't justify someone being so stupid as to enter Thailand with the potential of having illegal substances in their system when they're planning on going to red light/entertainment areas where the use of those substances is so common.

not everyone 'thinks' first.  and if they don't plan on using marijuana while they are in thailand, they may not be aware of the issues they may encounter.  i'm not sure i'd call them 'stupid' but perhaps 'unaware'.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Is that where it says that those outdated kits are used, then?  What have websites got to do with drug testing equipment?

Perhaps you could provide support for your statement that the Thai police have on-the-spot urine tests with immediate results indicating cannabis usage. I am doubtful.

Cannabis use and urine tests often miss one-time users and are conducted in a lab with spectroscopy equipment. The OP had "2 puffs" and is not a cannabis user. Again I am doubtful.

Amphetamine is easy to detect with an on-the-spot urine test using an inexpensive colour indicator kit.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

All police on-the-spot drug tests use a colour indicator.

yes, i was wondering who pours the urine into the 'test kit' or is the 'test kit' poured into the cup of urine.  one of those methods sounds a little 'messy' compared to the other.

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

what about those who arrive from holland where marijuana is legal or from cambodia where many pizza restaurants add it as an ingredient.

testing positive in of itself is not evidence of use in thailand.

imo you need not look suspicious at all for police to stop you at their extortion points.

also according to my thai friends it is 100% legal to videotape police and many thais do and have cameras rolling in their cars all the time. this discourages police from hanky panky

If you read what he wrote they took his phone away and deleted the video he had taken. They hold all the aces and you are the Joker.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

Cannabis use and urine tests often miss one-time users and are conducted in a lab with spectroscopy equipment. The OP had "2 puffs" and is not a cannabis user. Again I am doubtful.

i must agree i was a little wary of the 'i only had 2 puffs' and hadn't smoked in 3 yrs before that.  would 2 puffs really show up ?

• Like 1

So, this is the story..... 

OP hasn't touched weed in 3 years but the first night he decided to only have "2 puffs"  he was pulled over for a random drug test and failed it?? 

Either he's The unluckiest guy in the world or there is a bit more he hasn't told us about 

After two puffs it probably wouldn't even register on a roadside urine test anyway as the amount would be trace at best

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, buick said:

i must agree i was a little wary of the 'i only had 2 puffs' and hadn't smoked in 3 yrs before that.  would 2 puffs really show up ?

With respect I suggest the "2 Puffs" is probably not the real case...How many people have you seen sharing a spliff who only take 2 puffs???

Certainly not in my experience! and also if you haven't smoked weed in 3 years why do it when you come to LOS when everyone knows the SHIT you will get?

4 hours ago, buick said:

OP -  richard_smith237 provides some good info (as you noted already).  thanks to richard for that.

the road, i'll all it asoke (but i think it can also be ratchadapisek, sukhumvit soi 21, etc...) btwn rama IV and sukhumvit is well known for checkpoints.  these are not 'regular' checkpoints as they only stop non-thais in taxis (thais can be seen exiting the taxis but they are with non-thais).  they set the check point at rama IV as you turn left onto asoke, or on asoke as you turn left to sukhumvit.  i've lived walking distance from asoke/sukhumvit for 10 yrs.  it has been going on a long time.  the only real course of action you have is to pay the money as soon as possible, unless you want to spend some time behind bars.  there are reports of people refusing and at the end of the process they end up paying a fine much lower than 40,000thb.  but they had to spend a few days (or longer) behind bars, possibly pay an attorney, see a judge, etc...  that is not a process i want to go through and would pay 40,000thb to avoid.

i always use the overhead walkways at the asoke/sukhumvit intersection.  that avoids being 'selected' as a pedestrian.  i also never let a taxi take me home using that stretch of road. 

This is exactly where I was stopped a few years ago.

7pm, in the front seat of a taxi, seat belt done up. No reason whatsoever for the stop. 

They asked for my ID (I showed my Thai Drivers license) through the window (opened 2 inches). 

They asked me to step out of the vehicle, I said No... and 'dialed a friend'...  

The spoke with my 'friend' (who is RTP), they then waved me on. 

At the time I did not like the manner in which I was stopped and asked to exit the vehicle. I knew it was leading to a urine test on the side of the street.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

With respect I suggest the "2 Puffs" is probably not the real case...How many people have you seen sharing a spliff who only take 2 puffs???

Certainly not in my experience! and also if you haven't smoked weed in 3 years why do it when you come to LOS when everyone knows the SHIT you will get?

my parents live in the state of washington (legal) in USA.  it is pleaure to return and visit them !!!  when i was in high school, thaistick was the best.  oh, have times changed !!!

i remember your name/avatar from a situation relating to a young lad having some similar issues as the OP.  and then another  incident where 'mum' came onto thaivisa to try and help her son who was caught with weed (i think that was koh tao).  in any case, you've provided some good insight in the past.  the OP here is lucky to have paid and been set free. 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is exactly where I was stopped a few years ago.

7pm, in the front seat of a taxi, seat belt done up. No reason whatsoever for the stop. 

They asked for my ID (I showed my Thai Drivers license) through the window (opened 2 inches). 

They asked me to step out of the vehicle, I said No... and 'dialed a friend'...  

The spoke with my 'friend' (who is RTP), they then waved me on.

i now have a few 'dial a friend' numbers in my phone (put in after i was stopped two years ago).  i don't think they plant stuff on you or make things up to arrest you.  but you never know. 

32 minutes ago, buick said:

they have on the spot testing, do not need a lab.  maybe the OP could explain how his test was conducted.

They give you the cup and ask to pee. If you tell them u cannot pee, they give you water of bottle and ask you to drink it . They will wait patiently until u done. After that they will pull out a bit of your pee and place on the tester which look similar to the pregnancy tester.  Wait about a minute and there will be a result - a line on white background. When i tried to take a video of them using the test , they took my phone .

16 hours ago, NetJunkie said:

So your two puffs were what?

Have you tried not breaking the law? I find that the easiest way to deal with the police.

Im not interested in his sexual practices??

30 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Perhaps you could provide support for your statement that the Thai police have on-the-spot urine tests with immediate results indicating cannabis usage. I am doubtful.

Amphetamine is easy to detect with an on-the-spot urine test using an inexpensive colour indicator kit.

Yeah , thats exactly what I was doubting.  My friend who used to be a heavy cannabis smoker explained me that the amount I smoked would get out of my body within few hours.

7 minutes ago, buick said:

my parents live in the state of washington (legal) in USA.  it is pleaure to return and visit them !!!  when i was in high school, thaistick was the best.  oh, have times changed !!!

i remember your name/avatar from a situation relating to a young lad having some similar issues as the OP.  and then another  incident where 'mum' came onto thaivisa to try and help her son who was caught with weed (i think that was koh tao).  in any case, you've provided some good insight in the past.  the OP here is lucky to have paid and been set free. 

Thanks Buick....Yes you are right....And the "Mum2" case was the second I had been involved with in less than 6 months....the other being "Brit Kid caught with ganja on Koh Tao" .

I am very familiar and up to date with what happens on the Southern Islands, but I cannot offer advice about what might happen in BKK.

I only know that I have not smoked weed for over 12 years,i.e., since coming to LOS and even though I sometimes stay in the UK for up to 3 months on vacation I still never smoke because I know of the penalties here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pr0fik said:

They give you the cup and ask to pee. If you tell them u cannot pee, they give you water of bottle and ask you to drink it . They will wait patiently until u done. After that they will pull out a bit of your pee and place on the tester which look similar to the pregnancy tester.  Wait about a minute and there will be a result - a line on white background. When i tried to take a video of them using the test , they took my phone .

very interesting.  i don't have any experience with urine testing but, from what others have said, these tests for cannabis may not be real.  that said, if you upset the police, they may decide to search your room.  or just take you to a cell at their station.  it is better to pay and just avoid the two checkpoint areas under discussion here.  other checkpoints are 'normal'.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 10:48 AM, Justfine said:

Best to avoid inner city lefties anyway. They will only swear and throw objects like the children that they are.

On 5/28/2018 at 10:33 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Makes sense. Fly into a military air base and helicopter to Chequers.

16 hours ago, observer90210 said:

What if the tests make a mistake on people who are clean or are tampered by some corrupt cops ?

Thailand is becomming a very unsafe place for tourists due to the corruption.

Once you are safely back in a civilised country, you should right away write a letter to the Anti Corruption Division in Bangkok. There will be sufficient CCTV cameras to locate the rotten cops who robbed your money.

Share also your experience to your local newspapers. The bad publicity will urge the local Thai embassy to take up the issue with their masters in Bangkok.

BUT don't expect anything to happen 

Those tests usually have a small allowance for some low passive type positive.

2 puffs won’t test positive I wouldn’t think.

You put a drop of urine in the cassette it leaches along the material to a line which is the control that will go pink which shows the test worked and another line shows your clean.

It doesn’t matter how bright the line is as long as there is one.

at night you might struggle to see it.

no second line and your positive 

5 minutes ago, buick said:

very interesting.  i don't have any experience with urine testing but, from what others have said, these tests for cannabis may not be real.  that said, if you upset the police, they may decide to search your room.  or just take you to a cell at their station.  it is better to pay and just avoid the two checkpoint areas under discussion here.  other checkpoints are 'normal'.

Yeah, I usually like to hang out on RCA, and I stay Rama 3 Area, so yeah, I always pass that checkpoint. Maybe I should just go by express way ... 50 baht- the convenience fee.

Have you ever tried to chose the ordinary way of not using illegal drugs and breaking the law?

You know, then you don´t have to act at all. Just need to be yourself.

Worked for me about 18 years now, so I consider myself quite an expert on the case.

55 minutes ago, pr0fik said:

Yeah , thats exactly what I was doubting.  My friend who used to be a heavy cannabis smoker explained me that the amount I smoked would get out of my body within few hours.

No, it would be detectable for 90 days in a proper lab test even from a hair sample

But the side of the road dipstick test would not be able to detect such a minute amount so fast 

You probably passed the test and they were bluffing..... 

Either that or they showed you someone else's positive test result

17 hours ago, pr0fik said:

Marijuana. Again, it is not about the last night. Yes - I am guilty and paid for it. Lesson learnt.

However, just more concern about fake results , as mentioned - paranoia of being accused for something never done.

Because simple things like taking a video of police or call to someone so you don't stay alone its impossible.

The bigger problem is someone could easily legally consume a drug just before coming to Bangkok and any drug test would show a positive result, even though they had not consumed drugs in Thailand.

The law is rubbish, but there is nothing we can do about it. 

Hi All,

There u go ?

Second, during the search, you have the right to record the whole process as long as you do not interfere with it. With everyone carrying handheld video cameras in the form of their smartphones, this should be an easy thing to do. However, if the police find contraband, the video can be used as evidence against you.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2018/03/14/stopped-by-police-in-thailand-what-you-should-do/

Edited by nsimmons

4 hours ago, pr0fik said:

Yeah, I usually like to hang out on RCA, and I stay Rama 3 Area, so yeah, I always pass that checkpoint. Maybe I should just go by express way ... 50 baht- the convenience fee.

that is the best thing to do.  just act like that stretch of road doesn't exist. 

Unfortunately in these circumstances the law and your rights are what the police present with you say they are.

If OP paid 40,000b then for this type of offence he paid about 4x more than he needed to or could likely have got the "fine" down to. 10,000 is the usual "fine" for this type of issue and 20,000 for the harder stuff. They expect you to negotiate. This info is from knowing people who have had the same sort of experience and from anecdotal similar reports from the web over the last couple of years. I've never heard of anyone having to pay anywhere near 40,000 before.

For all those saying don't do this type of thing then have a look at how many other normal things you may consume will give a false positive. If you've had a headache of muscle pains for example and taken Ibuprofen....you will very likely test positive on these basic tests the same as the OP did. Plenty of other over the counter products will make you test positive for meth too btw.

14 minutes ago, Shaksey said:

Unfortunately in these circumstances the law and your rights are what the police present with you say they are.

If OP paid 40,000b then for this type of offence he paid about 4x more than he needed to or could likely have got the "fine" down to. 10,000 is the usual "fine" for this type of issue and 20,000 for the harder stuff. They expect you to negotiate. This info is from knowing people who have had the same sort of experience and from anecdotal similar reports from the web over the last couple of years. I've never heard of anyone having to pay anywhere near 40,000 before.

For all those saying don't do this type of thing then have a look at how many other normal things you may consume will give a false positive. If you've had a headache of muscle pains for example and taken Ibuprofen....you will very likely test positive on these basic tests the same as the OP did. Plenty of other over the counter products will make you test positive for meth too btw.

first and last points, i fully agree with (i've read ibuprofen can give a false read but forget which drug).

but the middle commentary, are you sure this info came from people getting caught at this particular checkpoint ?  not all operate the same way.  i've been on the beer drinking circuit around asoke/sukhumvit for quite awhile and during the bar talk, a 50,000thb number is tossed around frequently (for this area/checkpoint).   who knows, maybe all the guys are telling the same story over and over !!!!  not trying to say you are wrong, just wondering if we are talking apples to apples (or checkpoint to checkpoint !!).

Edited by buick

Record video whatever they said, these xunts need to be explained what is respect.

If you are positive to drugs, pay 5000 and leave. Still cheaper fine than some western countries.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, buick said:

first and last points, i fully agree with (i've read ibuprofen can give a false read but forget which drug).

but the middle commentary, are you sure this info came from people getting caught at this particular checkpoint ?  not all operate the same way.  i've been on the beer drinking circuit around asoke/sukhumvit for quite awhile and during the bar talk, a 50,000thb number is tossed around frequently (for this area/checkpoint).   who knows, maybe all the guys are telling the same story over and over !!!!  not trying to say you are wrong, just wondering if we are talking apples to apples (or checkpoint to checkpoint !!).

Yes, same checkpoint, Thonglor police.

Someone also mentioned the cheapness/poor quality of the tests and I fully agree with this. I have been stopped at Asoke, refused to do pee test there and went back to Thonglor station. Exactly the same cheap piece of crap pee test kit was the only thing on offer. I passed and it was handshakes all round and I left obviously without paying anything. They wouldn't discuss a price until I had taken the test and so as I passed i didn't find out. However, it means i know exactly the procedure for this kind of thing and when i talk to people or read stories about it i can tell which ones are truthful sounding and which are la la. The OP's is leaning more towards the second option btw. Prices i mentioned are from people/stories that sounded truthful with the right details and procedures the same as i experienced.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

How much did you pay?

Why not contact a lawyer? I mean, if you are keen enough to pay 40,000 THB or whatever the amount was, why not hire a lawyer and ask him for his advice and pay some money and then ask him if you can pay him double that in case the police stops you for a urine test you can call him. If it's a Sino-Thai lawyer with pictures of his papa high up the wall as a judge or whatever, it would be really possible that you can call him at the next event and get some real help. Only for the affluent of course who can pay 40k for such an offence.

In short, better call Saul. 

cops will always be cheaper than any lawyer.