Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

10 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

As far as I know the price of the so-called "fruit wines" increased much more than the price of real wine, because the fruit wines were taxed very differently due to them being fermented here from imported concentrate.

That loophole was closed a while ago which caused the massive increases. Real wine went up somewhat less, though it still went up, and now the cost difference between the two is smaller than it was.

I know the Jacob's Creek (real wine) that's sold in 7/11's is around 790 baht a bottle, and that's for a very average red that sells for around A$10 (230 baht) in Australia, so I'm not sure what would be the quality of a wine that sells for 300 baht in Thailand.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:
2 hours ago, giddyup said:

If you can buy old stock at those prices good for you, but wine prices have been increased across the board, why would the ones you buy for 300 baht be exempt from the extra taxation?

As far as I know the price of the so-called "fruit wines" increased much more than the price of real wine, because the fruit wines were taxed very differently due to them being fermented here from imported concentrate.

That loophole was closed a while ago which caused the massive increases. Real wine went up somewhat less, though it still went up, and now the cost difference between the two is smaller than it was.

Yes fruit wine has had bigger price increases than real wine, for the reasons you explained, but real wine hasn't been 300 Baht a bottle since at least a decade, so the poster is trolling.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Yes fruit wine has had bigger price increases than real wine, for the reasons you explained, but real wine hasn't been 300 Baht a bottle since at least a decade, so the poster is trolling.

The problem with fruit wines massive increase in price is wine that is cheap-ass wine should be selling for a cheap price....Not top dollar....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, giddyup said:

I know the Jacob's Creek (real wine) that's sold in 7/11's is around 790 baht a bottle, and that's for a very average red that sells for around A$10 (230 baht) in Australia, so I'm not sure what would be the quality of a wine that sells for 300 baht in Thailand.

It's funny I was only thinking about Jacobs Creek wine today.

One of the joys of moving back to the US was being able to buy a decent bottle of reasonably priced wine to eat with dinner.

Now I have a peasants pallette, so anything much above $20 is wasted on me. But seeing your post I realized how much I actually wasted on wine in Thailand. 

When shopping in my local Safeway today, the Thailand ubiquitous bottle of Jacobs Creek was $6.99, versus that ฿790, ~$25.

I ended up buying a really nice bottle of Californian Merlot for $8.99, God knows what that would have cost me in Thailand!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

One of the joys of moving back to the US was being able to buy a decent bottle of reasonably priced wine to eat with dinner.

Now I have a peasants pallette, so anything much above $20 is wasted on me. But seeing your post I realized how much I actually wasted on wine in Thailand. 

When shopping in my local Safeway today, the Thailand ubiquitous bottle of Jacobs Creek was $6.99, versus that ฿790, ~$25.

I ended up buying a really nice bottle of Californian Merlot for $8.99, God knows what that would have cost me in Thailand!

Except I make 790 baht = A$33.

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

because the fruit wines were taxed very differently due to them being fermented here from imported concentrate.

Those from Siam Winery (Montclair, Mar Y Sol etc) are made from imported grape juice and fermented here with "additions", but many, perhaps the majority, of them are already blended with fruit juice in Australia (some in France and Italy) and exported to Thailand..........as I don't drink the stuff I would be interested to know what the price difference was between 3 ltrs of Montclair vs Bodegas Valley (from Oz believe it or not) or Gossips (Oz).

Actually I will look out for that today in Big C.

14 hours ago, Hummin said:

Expensive wine taste best, and since you think it is an expensive one, you drink less ????

Yeah right...................the better the wine, the more I drink (unfortunately)!!!!! And it shows on the bank balance.

PS. Just seen the emoji, so a jest methinks!!!!

Something is going to break eventually. You go to the wine section in supermarkets and the wine section deserted and the only missing bottles are 2 litre bird wine from ozz
Sales girls all sitting on boxes of stacked beer playing with their phones

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Something is going to break eventually. You go to the wine section in supermarkets and the wine section deserted and the only missing bottles are 2 litre bird wine from ozz

Like I said before the wine section will soon become the wine aisle and then become the wine shelf....lol........If they dont change course SOON.... 

• Like 1

Like I said before the wine section will soon become the wine aisle and then become the wine shelf....lol........If they dont change course SOON.... 
Greed. If they increased 10% fair enough but farang walking ATM Can afford 50 to 100 % no ploblem

Will let's see about that [emoji58]

6 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

New democratically elected gov in the next few months hopefully. Greens likely getting kickbacks from wine competitors. If the elections are fair changes will not be far off. 

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Would be interesting to know how the wine sales have declined in the past few months. I bet the Government is actually getting LESS tax. Mont Clair must be near bankrupt.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Would be interesting to know how the wine sales have declined in the past few months. I bet the Government is actually getting LESS tax. Mont Clair must be near bankrupt.

Think they could use same graph for this as for tourists numbers ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pegman said:

New democratically elected gov in the next few months hopefully. Greens likely getting kickbacks from wine competitors. If the elections are fair changes will not be far off. 

We can all dream.............Unfortunately I don't somehow think the subject will be very high on anyone's list of priorities ????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

Those from Siam Winery (Montclair, Mar Y Sol etc) are made from imported grape juice and fermented here with "additions", but many, perhaps the majority, of them are already blended with fruit juice in Australia (some in France and Italy) and exported to Thailand..........as I don't drink the stuff I would be interested to know what the price difference was between 3 ltrs of Montclair vs Bodegas Valley (from Oz believe it or not) or Gossips (Oz).

Actually I will look out for that today in Big C.

Just come back from Big C and the 5l and 3l boxes/casks from Oz (Bodegas Valley, Gossips, Castle Creek) are around the same price as the equivalent Montclair stuff.

All around the following............ 5l = 1450b, 3l = 965b+, so the equivalent of 290b a litre for the larger ones, so if you can drink this type of wine, it isn't that expensive by the litre.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Previously Montclair was 1200B for 8lit at Makro. That's 150B/lit. So it's doubled. A hefty increase.

Yes the increase is huge, no doubt about it.............but from another angle, there are folks who say it is an ok drink, whilst others like it, so based on that, a bottle (750cl) equates to A$9.00, about the same price as Oz or NZ plonk.............

18 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Yes the increase is huge, no doubt about it.............but from another angle, there are folks who say it is an ok drink, whilst others like it, so based on that, a bottle (750cl) equates to A$9.00, about the same price as Oz or NZ plonk.............

I buy the Berri Estates 2 litre Aussie fruit wine which is drinkable, that costs 740 baht, which is A$31.00, so that works out at nearly $16 a litre. I can buy a 4 litre Stanley Cab Sav in Australia for $10, which works out at $2.50 litre, and it's a good quality wine with no fruit juice added, but I know that doesn't do me any good here. Pointless to mention it I guess.

• Like 1

I believe those contain fruit juice

Today  came across  and purchased  a 2 litre bottle of  "Cassavini Rosso -Rare Reserve- @489Bht. No original source on label, only  distributor in Thailand. Yes   "adulterated" Fruit wine.

Mediocre in every aspect but  certainly  unoffensive as quaffing wine with  food.

And as  a  house  red wine at the price  is ok.

Given the chance I would prefer a healthy  shiraz. lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Hardy's (stamps) is less than 5 euro in Belgium, 3 euros in Austria...

Australia same same Thailand?

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Today  came across  and purchased  a 2 litre bottle of  "Cassavini Rosso -Rare Reserve- @489Bht. No original source on label, only  distributor in Thailand. Yes   "adulterated" Fruit wine.

Mediocre in every aspect but  certainly  unoffensive as quaffing wine with  food.

And as  a  house  red wine at the price  is ok.

Given the chance I would prefer a healthy  shiraz. lol

Dont worry next week it should be over 600 baht.....lol only half joking....

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Well, before coming here I used to buy real wine from my local winery in Europe for around 2EUR (80B) a litre, and very nice it was too. So I cant say that anything bought here thrills me very much!

18 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

Except I make 790 baht = A$33.

....except of course I was converting to USD!

But in any version of $$, it's still ludicrous.

So to those still in Thailand, just pucker up and enjoy that overpriced plonk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Hardy's (stamps) is less than 5 euro in Belgium, 3 euros in Austria...

Australia same same Thailand?

No........but then again I wasn't comparing actual names/bottles. Just that a 750cl bottle of the fruit wine (if one likes it) here is around the same as a bottle of plonk in OZ/NZ (i.e. a cheap swigger, but not fruit wine).

As I said earlier the price of wine here is extortionate and there is no need for it as it seems there is no "direct competition" so it seems to be a revenue generating exercise at the farangs (mainly) expense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

just got back from Nong Khai, got 2 Thai friends to go across the bridge into the duty free shop. 2 boxes (3lts) of proper red at 650 but each! So if your up that way.....

We do the same and also let them bring cigalettes

58 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

just got back from Nong Khai, got 2 Thai friends to go across the bridge into the duty free shop. 2 boxes (3lts) of proper red at 650 but each! So if your up that way.....

Sounds like a plan...........and what was the name of the wine/from where?