Gang of foreign romance scammers who preyed on lonely Thai women busted by Tourist Police

rooster59

Gang of foreign romance scammers who preyed on lonely Thai women busted by Tourist Police

2-_180602_0152-1024x682.jpg

Deputy Tourist Police Chief Surachate Hakparn on Saturday announced the arrest of a gang of foreign men and two Thai women accused of running so called romance scams targeting lonely Thai women.

The foreign members of the gang were identified as:

Mr. Eriri Franklin, 23 from Nigeria

Mr. Pedro Da Silva, 28, from Guinea-Bissau

Mr. Marcelinus Chijioke Mbakwe, 32, from Nigeria

Mr. Ogochukwu John Obioha, 30, from Nigeria

Mr. Nnamdi Barnabas Agubosim, 32, from Nigeria

Mr. Emmanuel Kasujja, 37, from Uganda

Police say the gang befriended Thai women on Facebook using fake profiles claiming to be foreign men who were members of the US military.

2-_180602_0101-1024x682.jpg

Using a well known tactic of romance scammers operating in Thailand the gang told their victims they had sent them an expensive gift which had been held up at customs at Suvarnabhumi.

The gang then asked the victim to wire money to a Thai helper in order to pay for the gift to clear customs.

However, when the victim transferred the money they never received the gift and they never again heard from the mystery foreign man on Facebook.

Police say the gang were operating out of an address in Kathu, Phuket and were arrested after receiving a complaint from a woman in Buriram.

Following the arrest of the gang policed seized and array of mobile phones, laptop computers, bank books and ATM cards.

Police added that all the men had overstayed their visas.

Source: https://goo.gl/W2zz66

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-03
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m wondering if they’ve infiltrated the local buy&sell groups on FB; I was interested in a motorbike a few days ago, surprise surprise the seller wanted a deposit before i’d even been out to see the bike...... tiresome, really.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

When a thai woman scams an old chap farang nothing is going to happen.... Why only Nigerians will go to jail. How many farangs lost everything (house,condos, retirement money, and even sometimes kids) from  shameless Thai women.... 

Perhaps if those "scammed" foreigners that you seem so concerned about reported the "scams" to the police something could be done about it; the fact is they weren't reported and will never be reported because what you refer to are not scams.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thai immigration are too busy making decent people under the age of fifty, and who don't want to get married and want to stay in Thailand long term jump through too many hoops.

These overstayers are responsible for the Thai governments attitude towards the people I have just mentioned, but they are just so stupid they cannot concentrate enough on the real culprits and start picking on decent people who want to come to Thailand long term and contribute to the economy.

How exactly is the Thai government "picking on decent people" who want to come to Thailand long term?

4 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

I wrote "How do I know that is your pu$$y" --back came a letter headed certificate from a lady doctor. "I hereby certify that the pu$$y sent is of photo is of Khun Nok××××.

Now proven I sent her the money. It's gone quiet- probably attending to her "ploblem"

Perhaps you should have asked for her to have her clam certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. That would have made it official. I believe they have a stamp for that.... :tongue:

2 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Hahaha... Gotta admit it's kind of funny.  In fact, I'm almost shocked. :biggrin:   Let's see... your typical "lonely" Isaan babe trying to snare a rich 'walking ATM' so she can "romance" him into buying/building them, OOPS I mean... her... and her parents and her aunts and her uncles and her Thai children (courtesy of a deadbeat Thai ex-husband or 2 or 3 of course) a new house mansion (with many bedrooms to accommodate the aforementioned 'loved ones').  Of course he—Mr. ATM—must also buy a brand new car(s) and provide a luxury lifestyle, etc., for her and her family until his money runs out where he is promptly kicked out of her house.  But wait... oh my... she, herself, gets scammed by "romance" scammers.  Hahahahahahaha...the irony.

It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, and there's no shortage of dogs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

I’m wondering if they’ve infiltrated the local buy&sell groups on FB; I was interested in a motorbike a few days ago, surprise surprise the seller wanted a deposit before i’d even been out to see the bike...... tiresome, really.

Are you talking about the police, or, the Africans???   :whistling:

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Do I really have to explain to you, a poster with over 3.500 posts, why people under the age of fifty, who want to stay in Thailand long term and do not want to get married, are given a raw deal by the Thai government mainly because of  overstayers?

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Perhaps if those "scammed" foreigners that you seem so concerned about reported the "scams" to the police something could be done about it; the fact is they weren't reported and will never be reported because what you refer to are not scams.

Lying and making someone trust and believing in you in order to gain advantages is scam. No other word. These are scams... Please tell me what word can I use? Conning? 

• Thanks 1