Island hopping with a 10kg suitcase and a mild disability. Is there assistance available for luggage for this kind of thing?

LandOfSmiles99

This is my first post so please move if it's in the wrong place

I'm going to Thailand solo in 3 weeks for 2-3 months. I'll have a light enough suitcase with me over there, I'd say 10-12kg.

I need to use a suitcase as a backpack throws me off balance. I've a mild enough disability and have managed to live abroad elsewhere for a year with nothing stopping me from doing what I want to do ..... but the Thailand islands look like they'll need a bit of planning ;)

I was going to stay in Phuket for a couple of weeks as it looks like a great base to island hop to many of the islands.

With some I'll be happy enough  to do just a day and go back to Phuket, but with Phi Phi (and maybe one or two more) I really want to stay a week or so. 

Railay Beach is another place I want to see for more than just a day (although I realise this is in a different part of Thailand) and I'm wondering how accessible this is to get to? 

I'll find it tricky enough getting my luggage up a long pier without a trolley and trickier still dragging it up any ferry steps etc 

Can assistance be booked in advance for this kind of thing? Ideally, I'd like a hand with luggage from the moment I get out of the taxi and then brought to the ferry for me. And then the reverse when we get to the destination

I really dont want to do Thailand and not do certain places because they can only be reached by ferry

Where there's a will there's a way!

Any positive suggestions welcome 

Thanks

It's simple enough to get to Railay Beach from either Phuket or Phi Phi, there are frequent ferries from both locations and the trip is quite short, Ao Nang is the nearest major stop which is only 15 minutes away from Railay but some ferries do stop at Railay itself.

Perhaps consider a companion to help carry your bag, there will be lots of volunteers the moment you leave the airport.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My experience with island hopping is that you do have to carry your own bag at times so if you can't do that you have a problem.

In general they get your bag from a collection point up to the boat and when you exit the boat you have to pick it up again at a collection point. Its not like there are always people around to help. I often travel with my parents and then I carry some of my mothers bags. You can't always expect perfect service where people help you all the time. 

• Like 1

Help is readily available, but has to be paid for. Every bar has someone able and willing to accompany you on a full time basis, but like everyone, they expect to be paid for their service.

However, as long as you can wheel your bag to the ferry, the ferry staff will throw your bag on board ( and off ) for you.

I suggest a bag with wide wheels for use on sand. I had one and it worked well.

I have no idea why you'd want a week on <deleted> Phi Phi. A day trip is enough, IMO.

Certainly, Railay would be worth a week or more. The boatman will carry your bag on and off the boat, but you have to walk on the beach at either end ( from Ao Nang ), unless you go from Krabi town, where there is a pier.

2 hours ago, LandOfSmiles99 said:

Ideally, I'd like a hand with luggage from the moment I get out of the taxi and then brought to the ferry for me. And then the reverse when we get to the destination

I'd say you are dreaming about that, but who knows? Money could elicit aid though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

It's simple enough to get to Railay Beach from either Phuket or Phi Phi, there are frequent ferries from both locations and the trip is quite short, Ao Nang is the nearest major stop which is only 15 minutes away from Railay but some ferries do stop at Railay itself.

Perhaps consider a companion to help carry your bag, there will be lots of volunteers the moment you leave the airport.

Do the ferries stop for the wet season? Maybe base some of your time in Phuket and some in Ao Nang which is closer to a lot of the islands

38 minutes ago, retoohs said:

Do the ferries stop for the wet season? Maybe base some of your time in Phuket and some in Ao Nang which is closer to a lot of the islands

No they don't, the journey is only 2,5 hours anyway (3.5 hours by road) - Koh Yai and Phi Phi are in the middle although Ao Nang is closer for Koh Lanta but that's really all there is.

• Thanks 1

In Phuket at the moment. Firstly, if you want to go to the islands, start on the Krabi side, not Phuket. The reason is the resorts in Phuket are on the west side but the docks and islands are to the east so every trip involves a lengthy minibus ride to the other side of the island. The boats are running normally but if it rains you will get wet. The boat boys are very helpful but be prepared to tip. Also note that Railay and Phi Phi are Muslim so no or limited pork or alcohol.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RayD said:

In Phuket at the moment. Firstly, if you want to go to the islands, start on the Krabi side, not Phuket. The reason is the resorts in Phuket are on the west side but the docks and islands are to the east so every trip involves a lengthy minibus ride to the other side of the island. The boats are running normally but if it rains you will get wet. The boat boys are very helpful but be prepared to tip. Also note that Railay and Phi Phi are Muslim so no or limited pork or alcohol.

Nonsense, alcohol is readily available in Phi Phi and Railey, we were in both location only a couple of months ago and they are both littered with bars.

East versus West sides is horses for courses, there's resorts on both East and West sides (Paradise for one), the airport in the North and bus station in the East.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, djayz said:

When I first travelled around Thailand, approx. 15 years ago, I foolishly lugged 20kg around with me in a backpack. 

By the end of my 4 wek holiday, I had dumped at least 10-12kgs of stuff I really didn't need. 

My point is, look at what you think you need and what you really need - dump the rest. That should lighten your load.

I travelled arounf Malaysia once with about 5 - 6 kgs, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 or 3 polo shirts and a few boxers. Job done! It's amazing what you can live without when travelling. 

Good advice,i did the same thing around the same time.Before you go to sleep clean whatever needs to be cleaned and it will be dry in the morning.There are 7/11 everywhere and yyou can get a lot of things there.

There will always be people to help you,dont worry about that.

If you go somewhere by taxi ask the driver to carry your bag,give him a tip and both of you will be happy.

• Like 1

@LandOfSmiles99 - I, too, have a mild disability, and what I can find challenging in my case, is getting on/off ferries where this entails walking a plank (literally) for a metre or 2 from/to the jetty. However, my experience is based on the ferries which operate between Ban Phe and Koh Samed, so I am not sure whether there is a similar issue with Phuket ferries. But, if there is, it is certainly something to be borne in mind if you are unsteady on your feet in such circumstances, as I am. That said, on the plus side, my experience has also been that crew members will unhesitatingly offer you assistance in getting on/off their ferry if they see you in difficulties. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The OP mentioned Railay. Unless it's changed, that is reached by longtail, so one has to be able to climb from the water into the longtail. Lanta can be reached by van, so that's not a problem.

Phi Phi has big boats that go from and to piers, so no problem there.

The longtails from Krabi transfer passengers to a tractor driven trailer out in the water or drops them off at a pontoon bridge, based on where the tide is - from Ao Nang it's a case of climbing down the side of the longtail and wading ashore....the former is the easiest option so is perhaps a consideration when deciding how to arrive at Railey and from where, many people arrive at Krabi airport hence the Krabi side transfer is the easiest but Phuket/Phi Phi arriving passengers usually end up in Ao Nang. Trying to get back into the longtail heading back to Ao Nang from Railey is hard enough for this older person, even without a disability!

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Nonsense, alcohol is readily available in Phi Phi and Railey, we were in both location only a couple of months ago and they are both littered with bars.

East versus West sides is horses for courses, there's resorts on both East and West sides (Paradise for one), the airport in the North and bus station in the East.

Obviously I was imagining it when I was told I couldn't have pakapow moo on Railay or alcohol on Phi Phi yesterday. Lucky you are here to correct me.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

The longtails from Krabi transfer passengers to a tractor driven trailer out in the water or drops them off at a pontoon bridge, based on where the tide is - from Ao Nang it's a case of climbing down the side of the longtail and wading ashore....the former is the easiest option so is perhaps a consideration when deciding how to arrive at Railey and from where, many people arrive at Krabi airport hence the Krabi side transfer is the easiest but Phuket/Phi Phi arriving passengers usually end up in Ao Nang. Trying to get back into the longtail heading back to Ao Nang from Railey is hard enough for this older person, even without a disability!

A tractor driven trailer?

Wading ashore?

Why is a beach that is considered one of Thailand's very best so antiquated in the ways it can be accessed? ?

"The longtails from Krabi transfer passengers to a tractor driven trailer out in the water or drops them off at a pontoon bridge, based on where the tide is"

I'm trying to visualize this and what it involves. Do you stay dry doing it this way? As in no wading through water and stepping to the pontoon bridge from a longtail is relatively easy enough? 

Are longtails easy to step into in general? As long as I have someone on the other side and I can borrow their shoulder or hand for a few seconds I think I can do it

Thanks all for the feedback so far

Edited by LandOfSmiles99

1 hour ago, RayD said:

Obviously I was imagining it when I was told I couldn't have pakapow moo on Railay or alcohol on Phi Phi yesterday. Lucky you are here to correct me.

Dude, hundreds of thousands of tourists go to Phi Phi and Railey and drink alcohol, why you managed to find somewhere that wouldn't serve you only you will know although bars typically don't serve alcohol to people under age 15!

http://www.phiphi.phuket.com/top10/top10-phiphi-nightlife.htm

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g1597036-Activities-c20-t99-Railay_Beach_Krabi_Town_Krabi_Province.html

Edited by simoh1490

1 hour ago, LandOfSmiles99 said:

Wading ashore?

Why is a beach that is considered one of Thailand's very best so antiquated in the ways it can be accessed? ?

"The longtails from Krabi transfer passengers to a tractor driven trailer out in the water or drops them off at a pontoon bridge, based on where the tide is"

I'm trying to visualize this and what it involves. Do you stay dry doing it this way? As in no wading through water and stepping to the pontoon bridge from a longtail is relatively easy enough? 

Are longtails easy to step into in general? As long as I have someone on the other side and I can borrow their shoulder or hand for a few seconds I think I can do it

Part of the beauty of places such as Railey is that they are not developed, they are unspoilt and natural and yes, oddly,you do get wet when you wade ashore! If you want to take a longtail from Railey to say Ao nang (15 mins) I'm afraid you'll have to do what everybody else does and wade out into the water, climb the ladder up the side of the boat and get in, ditto getting off the boat! Have you not read up on Railey Beach and what it's like?

The tractor trailer meets the longtail if the longtail can't get any closer to shoe - passengers jump from one to the other and the tractor pulls the trailer back to shore where people jump off, onto the jetty of concrete shore.

3 hours ago, LandOfSmiles99 said:

Wading ashore?

My 71 year old mother can get into those longtails, but it is not always easy. You will get wet that is for sure, no way you can stay dry 100%. All the stepping and moving requires a bit of agility sometimes there are people there who will help you to pull you on or help you off. 

If this all worries you too much you might not be the type of person that should do this. I don't know how disabled you are but if the prospect of doing this worries you it might not be the best thing to do.  I included a picture so you can understand what kind of steps we are talking about.. depending how deep it is it can be that you need to wade more or longer. 

Andaman-Camp-and-Cruises-Longtail-Boat.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, robblok said:

My 71 year old mother can get into those longtails, but it is not always easy. You will get wet that is for sure, no way you can stay dry 100%. All the stepping and moving requires a bit of agility sometimes there are people there who will help you to pull you on or help you off. 

If this all worries you too much you might not be the type of person that should do this. I don't know how disabled you are but if the prospect of doing this worries you it might not be the best thing to do.  I included a picture so you can understand what kind of steps we are talking about.. depending how deep it is it can be that you need to wade more or longer. 

Andaman-Camp-and-Cruises-Longtail-Boat.jpg

"If this all worries you too much you might not be the type of person that should do this"

I'm the type of person who prepares for everything, or as much as possible. That's all ? ... anyone who is differently abled, mild or otherwise is the exact same. It becomes a second nature ?

Thanks for the pic of the mini ladder. It's exactly what I needed

With someone in the boat giving me a hand getting in and then behind me getting out I can definitely handle this 

6 minutes ago, LandOfSmiles99 said:

"If this all worries you too much you might not be the type of person that should do this"

I'm the type of person who prepares for everything, or as much as possible. That's all ? ... anyone who is differently abled, mild or otherwise is the exact same. It becomes a second nature ?

With someone in the boat giving me a hand getting in and then behind me getting out I can definitely handle this 

Not to deter you, remember you will be standing in up to three water of water when you start to get in the boat.

Perhaps consider taking the ferry from Krabi Town port to Railey, that involves a walk down concrete steps and then a level walk onto the boat. Getting off the boat onto the tractor/trailer is also a level walk, if you have to get off at the pontoon pier it will involve the ladder but no wading. It's only the longtails between Ao Nang and Railey that I see as being potentially problematic for you.

48 minutes ago, LandOfSmiles99 said:

If you think you can handle it then its all fine, but as simoh1490 said at times those boats are not up on the beach but more in the water you will get wet then. Preparing is good just don't prepare too much this is Thailand and things have a habit of changing and appointments fail to show up stuff like that. 

My mom hates speed boats as they are often over crowded and if the weather is bad it can even hurt during travel. So I specifically asked for a ferry ticket (had a native Thai speaker with me). Paid for a ferry ticket.. had ferry written on it only to ge transported by a... SPEEDBOAT.  This has happened to me twice so far so no matter how good you plan Thailand can change things. 

If you have a flight to catch.. you cant just refuse and take an other boat next day so sometimes you just have to accept things as they are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An excellent point about ferries versus speedboats. Having lived in Phuket for four years and made that journey from Phuket to Phi Phi/Ao Nang several times, at different times of the year, I can confirm that speedboats at any time of the year for me are definitely out - in rough seas I wouldn't even consider them. I've also been on large ferries when the water was rough and at times it can be "exciting". Reports of accidents at sea around Phuket each year don't always reach the national press but they are not uncommon locally, the problem is that owning a speedboat is a great money maker and the owner/drivers are not always the most capable seafarers nor endowed with an excess of common sense.  

7 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

An excellent point about ferries versus speedboats. Having lived in Phuket for four years and made that journey from Phuket to Phi Phi/Ao Nang several times, at different times of the year, I can confirm that speedboats at any time of the year for me are definitely out - in rough seas I wouldn't even consider them. I've also been on large ferries when the water was rough and at times it can be "exciting". Reports of accidents at sea around Phuket each year don't always reach the national press but they are not uncommon locally, the problem is that owning a speedboat is a great money maker and the owner/drivers are not always the most capable seafarers nor endowed with an excess of common sense.  

My major problem with them is and this year I will use them again (for some routes there is not much of an alternative) that they overfill them at times that some people have to sit at the front or even stand. That is just bad you pay a fee you should have a seat. If your in the front and the see is rough those waves can really hurt. But the overloading is the main problem they try to squeeze every baht out of the tourist they can. I would gladly pay a bit more but less people on the boat so all do have a seat and are not crammed in.

• Like 1

This topic reminds me of my last trip to Ko Lipe, where we had to get a longtail into the beach from the ferry. 2 of the female passengers were looking rather hiso, in their heels and long tight white pants, think they were chinese …..pity they had to climb down into nearly waist deep water and wade into the beach, LOL. I do think the boatman was having a laugh at their expense as he could have got closer, but at least they got their wheelie suitcases carried up to the beach ….where they had to drag them through the sand.

A friend visiting from Canada had limitations similar to yours. He tipped the taxi driver to get his suitcase out to the boat, then the boat crew loaded it. Getting off was more difficult. No one to help with luggage, the boat was bouncing wildly in the chop, and then getting run over by Chinese passengers making a beeline for some buffet or other. Take a girl with you. She can help with negotiations too.

• Thanks 1