Am I in breach of immigration rules if Im painting my commercial building?

ghworker2010

I am on an ext of stay based on marriage and I want to paint a commercial building that I have rented. We signed a 10 yr lease in my name and the wifes. Its registered and we paid the tax. 

Surely Im ok to paint out there by myself. Theres a lot of traffic going by. Am I breaking any rules? Obviously I’m not getting paid.

Thanks

Edited by ghworker2010
  • Confused 1

technically it is 'exerting energy' that needs a work permit. So the next time you pick your nose, make sure you have a work permit.

The definition is so broad that it catches everything. Mowing your lawn, washing your car, installing a new light bulb etc.

It is up to the officer to make that decision but technically any 'exertion of energy' is considered work that needs a work permit.

It is ridiculous and that is why it is not really enforced for someone who is painting their own house etc.

If an angry neighbor (or even worse a competitor) however wants to make problems for you then it can become a real problem.

I have painted many houses and walls. I get my kids and wife to help me. The work gets done faster and it is then not only you working which can be seen as real work.

Edited by Khun Jean
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, grollies said:

I had a dump this morning and I 'exerted energy'. I don't think I need a WP for this though Jean. ...

You just need a WC.  But if you exert a lot of energy and blow a gasket, do call a plumber or doctor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Definition of work:

mental or physical activity as a means of earning income; employment.

"Earning income"--which you are not, is the key phrase here. Although saying that, this is Thailand, if a Thai neighbor doesn't like you they could report you and immigration could make your life miserable. I knew a restaurant owner that ran into this type issue even though he had a valid work permit. He was always getting "random" visits from immigration that wasted his time and subsequently loss of income because they made him come down to the immigration office to prove he had a valid visa. Personally I wouldn't worry about it since you're not being paid, but that's just my opinion.

• Sad 2

That is absolutely fine.. you aren’t painting someone else’s house.. it’s registered in your name now.. I do all my lawn work, wash car regularly, paint house when it is soiled by birds and even some electric work.. I never had any problems... I don’t think honestly anyone would report you for that ... you can’t do any work in a commercial area like market or public place for earning money.. 

22 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

"Earning income"--which you are not, is the key phrase here

No, income is neither a necessary part of the definition of work nor is it a determining issue as far as Thai labor/immigration rules are concerned.

57 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

Definition of work:

mental or physical activity as a means of earning income; employment.

"Earning income"--which you are not, is the key phrase here. Although saying that, this is Thailand, if a Thai neighbor doesn't like you they could report you and immigration could make your life miserable. I knew a restaurant owner that ran into this type issue even though he had a valid work permit. He was always getting "random" visits from immigration that wasted his time and subsequently loss of income because they made him come down to the immigration office to prove he had a valid visa. Personally I wouldn't worry about it since you're not being paid, but that's just my opinion.

Nonsense quote, you need a work permit for voluntary work in Thailand.

13 hours ago, grollies said:

I had a dump this morning and I 'exerted energy'. I don't think I need a WP for this though Jean.

''Mowing your lawn, washing your car, installing a new light bulb etc.'' -sorry, rubbish.

Here you go:

According to Thai labor law, the definition of work is "exerting effort" and "employing knowledge", "whether or not for wages or other benefits", and is based on the individual, not employment as in some other countries. This is typical of Thai law -- remaining vague, and leaving flexible judgement to officials, thereby eliminating legal loopholes and haggling.

The flexible judgement can change your 'installing a new light bulb' into renovating the house without a workpermit. The chance that it happens is very very small, but get some Thais upset (neighbor/competitor) and this law can be used to get you.

Edited by Khun Jean

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Let's talk <deleted> about the Thai's again, do you feel better now?

No, I don't feel better, because I have to go round and finish off all the stuff they miss or <deleted>> up... 

Do I need a work permit for that ??

Best management is to not hire unskilled people to do a job. There are almost no skilled people available in Thailand. The good ones are so busy and you will not even be able to hire them. So you end up with the unskilled people and lousy results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

I've seen Thais paint, build, plumb etc without exerting any energy, so if he paints Thai style, he shouldn't require a work permit !!!

Indeed; Thais are one of the few peoples in this world who are able to fall asleep while climbing a ladder, changing a fuse or burgling a home. Expenditure of energy, were it possible to measure at such a rate, would be in the nano-joules per millennium range.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Khun Jean said:

Typical for TVF. It gets ridiculous very quickly.

Nothing better to do with your life? (Don't answer, it was a rhetorical question).

A ridiculous contribution is better than no contribution, that's how forums survive....

But you are still on here, so obviously nothing better to do either, so might as well make a proper contribution !!!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Khun Jean said:

Here you go:

According to Thai labor law, the definition of work is "exerting effort" and "employing knowledge", "whether or not for wages or other benefits", and is based on the individual, not employment as in some other countries. This is typical of Thai law -- remaining vague, and leaving flexible judgement to officials, thereby eliminating legal loopholes and haggling.

The flexible judgement can change your 'installing a new light bulb' into renovating the house without a workpermit. The chance that it happens is very very small, but get some Thais upset (neighbor/competitor) and this law can be used to get you.

You are quoting some ones opinion and you can not believe everything

you find on the internet.

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

I've seen Thais paint, build, plumb etc without exerting any energy, so if he paints Thai style, he shouldn't require a work permit !!!

Most of the people i got to do home renovation are nothing but an matures and  a wannabe tradies at times causing more damage s than the actual repairs, and in my opinion they themselves needs a license to do works on anybody property...

• Haha 1