when my neighbor farts my elect goes off

opalred

2 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Up north in Tha Ton we have had more cuts this year than the past 6 years. Every storm or crash of thunder and we race to find candles, flashlights and fill a bucket with water before the electric goes and the pump goes silent. I have had more 8.30pm bedtimes since April than ever before in my life. If your business depended on electric you would have to provide your own. Thailand 1940's. 

I've been experiencing the same thing in Phrae province. Been coming here every 3 months or so for 4 years for a couple of weeks at a time and only had one really big outage a few years back during a substantial thunder storm. Over the past couple of months I've been calling my GF and finding she is sat in the dark as the power has gone out after a little shower. I am here now and we have had 1 outage since last week for a minor rain shower yet ironically there was a pretty big storm the other night and the power stayed on. When we built her house I purposely didn't bother with a generator as the supply seemed so reliable. Looks like that may have been a mistake.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Up north in Tha Ton we have had more cuts this year than the past 6 years. Every storm or crash of thunder and we race to find candles, flashlights and fill a bucket with water before the electric goes and the pump goes silent. I have had more 8.30pm bedtimes since April than ever before in my life. If your business depended on electric you would have to provide your own. Thailand 1940's. 

My friend who lives east of Nong Khai refers to thunderstorms as "sky labs". Is that a common expression?

same in Surat Thani, power has been going off everytime it rains just about, starting to think it is being caused by all the new building work and illegal connections as it is only in a set area each time

3 hours ago, Lungstib said:

It hasn't been any better with us in Korat province. It's gotten so annoying than I plan on starting a new tread in the coming days regarding "solar power vs. generators" (if only I could figure out which subforum to post it in...).  

Pathetiv! It's been so bad that even Mrs Djayz is cursing under her breath! 

• Like 1

Its only getting better here before we had usually some power outages per year now almost none. I am quite impressed they even replaced some of the old transformers and stuff like that. I guess that is the benefit of living in and near Bangkok you get decent utilities like water and electricity.

In the past it really happened a lot ( few years back) but the locals starting to complain and upgrades were made.

• Like 1

Those spaghetti lines are all the Phone cables

Bought into a new Moo Baan & the power poles & cables looked good

Then came along all the Telco's who had to run a cable from the front to where ever for every individual house

& if people upgraded to Fibre that would also be ran from the front of Moo Baan & the copper left their

But on a side note our power is very good 

• Thanks 1

Not many cuts these days only when work is being carried out in the main.

Some improvement over the years in Suk with many things, recently new electric cables from grid have been put underground also internet cable phone lines too so the spaghetti junction and multiple cable lines are to be taken down at sometime.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Try this one https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/191-the-electrical-forum/

Lots of good info there already, we await your thread with bated breath.

Thanks for the link. Browsing through that subforum looks like all my initial questions have already been answered - so no need for me to start a new thread. 

7 hours ago, malt25 said:

Yes. Power outages, internet outages, 90 day reports, annual extension applications, bad roads, bad drivers, crazy Thais, Thai price v farang price. The list goes on.

Suck it up guys. Ain't no improvement on the horizon. welcome to LOS.

We wouldn't have it any other way ? :WPFflags:

• Like 2

Living in the north-east for 2.6 years and recently started looking into buying and having a diesel powered generator and flip over switch for the mains installed, would also have to build a small shed with concrete floor to house the generator.

Did a little research into it, and solar and a few other things, long of the short, purchased two more electric portable generators from HomePro 1,800 baht each taking the electric portable generators total to 5, and also purchased a couple of LED torches. The portable electric generators are good for 8-10 hours and you can also charge your mobiles off them if you batteries are low.

I was prepared to spend 100k-150k baht all up getting a diesel generator and the full monty hooked up, but then I said to myself, you know what, I reckon I would do my doe, because as soon as I do it, they will change the transformer and I won't need it.

What I do now is, make sure that the 3 black bins/buckets are always full in the 3 bathrooms, the kids shower as soon as they arrive home, yes umm-ing and r-ing, whip cracking, then homework, Mrs in the kitchen preparing dinner (gas) and before its night, we have all showered, done the homework rounds and eaten, so if the power goes out, usually around 8-8.30pm, its bedtime for all, hoping there is a breeze and no ones burning any crap so we can have a decent sleep until the lights come on, then I go around to the bedrooms and turn on those lovely air cons on low and at 26 degrees ❄️

Just got to get used to it until things improve, its usually only during the rain season anyway.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

We are building a new house and will install a hybrid solar system with battery backup. It is not only the power cuts but also the voltage transients when power is restored. We use a phase failure relay to isolate the incoming supply if the incoming voltage is out of range.The situation is likely to become worse in the future as more and more users are added to the network. 

• Like 1

Same here is Sisaket...with some extras to boot!

No need for wind and rain.

Almost every single day, we have what I call "micro cuts", electricity going off for about one second, enough to shut down the TV or aircon, which then have to restart...only to be cut again, sometime just a few minutes later...

We also have pesky "incidents" such as a massive power surge a couple of years ago that burned 10 TVs in the village, including our flat screen as well as our copy machine!

I took no less than 5 months to be reimbursed, after a lot of calls...

@English Engineer we too have noticed a marked increase in our power failures, mostly short but annoying. We have a full auto-start genset as well as UPS's to keep the PCs and (importantly for Madam) TVs operating without interruption.

We are only single-phase 15/45 but I often wish I had gone for a 3-phase supply. By far the most common failure is loss of a HV phase and it always seems to be us that's off (or very low voltage). I would have added an auto select so the essentials were on a working phase, not difficult to do even with relays.

Such is life and hindsight.

It's part of the ambiance of living in Thailand.  If ya'll haven't noticed yet, this is not a First World county.  You have your expectations set wayyyyy too high! 

On 6/7/2018 at 3:33 PM, Cadbury said:

My friend who lives east of Nong Khai refers to thunderstorms as "sky labs". Is that a common expression?

Maybe it's from the Thai for lightning, FAH LAEP lit. sky spark.

• Like 1

In Bangkok 20 years ago we had many power failures but has been no problem for some years. However, in the last year we have had quite a few power cuts because the MEA are upgrading the distribution systems to prevent future outages. There are going to be more because the cables have to be placed underground to remove all the unsightly spaghetti.

On 6/7/2018 at 8:28 PM, Cadbury said:

There is hope! Thailand 4.0 is coming. PM Prayut said so.

I think Prayut got it wrong. 

Look at the post after yours by LungstibHe says "Thailand 1940s". I think maybe Prayut meant 40s not 4.0.