Reform of drug laws begins as bill passes first reading

rooster59

Reform of drug laws begins as bill passes first reading

By Pratch Rujivanarom 
The Sunday Nation

d2b8ae151224de7176aea9b11db667b7-sld.jpeg

Marijuana

NEW narcotics laws to decriminalise drug users and legalise the controlled use of kratom and marijuana passed first reading at the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) on Thursday. 

The NLA passed by a landslide vote the three narcotics control policy bills, which are an effort by authorities to reform official drug policies and tackle the problem of overcrowded prisons.

Academics praised the new laws as heading in the right direction for drug reform, but cautioned that there remained the need for clear regulations to help prevent drug abuse and segregate drug users from drug dealers.

Deputy Prime Minister ACM Prachin Chantong said that the three bills will later be merged into a single law regulating various aspects of drug issues. The final bill will aim to legalise a limited use of narcotics for medical, science and industrial purposes, while enhancing the rehabilitation of drug users and limiting the spread of drug abuse in society.

Prachin said that in parallel with the new laws, a committee will be set up under the Office of Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) responsible for drafting rules and measures governing the use of narcotic drugs. As well, the ONCB will be required by the new laws to announce the legal use of kratom in specific areas and under certain terms and conditions.

Under the new narcotics law, kratom and marijuana will not be labelled a narcotic drugs with attendant punishments for use. Use of the two plant-based drugs would remain controlled and regulated by Public Health Ministry and ONCB, he said.

Prachin also said a committee would be created to revise enforcement procedures for narcotic drug offences. There will be a shift from punishing drug users to instead treating drug use as a medical issue, with users sent to hospitals for rehabilitation. The shift is expected to help solve the problem of overflowing prisons.

According to the Thailand Institute of Justice, the country now has 343,657 people jailed, the highest number in Asean, and sixth highest globally. Over 70 per cent of prisoners in Thailand are there for drug offences.

Prapapun Chucharoen, expert on narcotic drugs at the Asean Institute for Health Development at Mahidol University, said the authorities’ change of policies governing use of kratom and marijuana is a step in the right direction. The plants have many medical and scientific benefits, she said, but clear control measures need to be in place to prevent abuse.

Prapapun said kratom has no serious harm on human health if used properly, but she has found that many youths abused kratom by mixing it with other substances to create dangerous narcotic cocktails. Authorities must ensure there are clear rules to restrict the improper use of the plants.

“I also agree with the decriminalisation for drug users, as from a medical point of view they are patients with brain and behavioural disorders. But the officers will have to make sure that we have a good system in place to separate drug users from drug dealers, or we will not be able to stop the spread of drugs in our society,” she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30347919

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-17

7894220ff6b76c73c915823e4bc5b1aa-sld.jpeg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Time to start viewing all drugs in the clear light of the present day. Alcohol and cigarettes need to be evaluated alongside marijuana and kratom. The most common (legal) drugs in Thailand have brought immense wealth to the dealers while at the same time dealers of other drugs are imprisoned and vilified. We are all aware that alcohol has ruined the lives of some while at the same time bringing enjoyment to others but we dont accept this contradiction for other drugs. We are free to choose to ruin our lives with some drugs while others remain completely forbidden. It's a strange situation. 

Are you talking about marijuana & kratom?

Because to a limited extent, I agree with you.

Many other drugs, are illegal for a very good reason, ie they are addictive & often fatal.

There are some people that can & do use drugs with a certain amount of responsibility, but unfortunately, there are far more that don't.

Being 'free' doesn't mean doing whatever you want. Freedom means to carry 'the load' with responsibility.

Yup, tobacco & alcohol are also addictive & very harmful, & what concerns me is allowing everybody access to the 2 drugs mentioned here, when there are way too many people who won't use them sensibly.

Drugs aren't a 'level playing field' as they differ hugely in their effect, & some people develop psychosis from marijuana.

Whether it's because they have a predisposition to mental illness, I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Hey Newbie, don't you read the news? If you have any information to share that might contradict these claims please let us all know.

Instead of throwing around smart ass obtuse questions try giving an opinion yourself. Lift your game .

Wow! Great opening, "newbie", lol. Please don't confuse a new ID with limited time here or knowledge.

Why should I have to find data to contradict what someone has stated, surely it is far easier for them to show where they got their data from?

Maybe I will give my opinion when the poster supplies me with the link and I can read the full data that he makes assertions from.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cadbury said:

If they do fully legalise marijuana and kratom there might be some hope the users of yaba might do a switcheroo to these drugs and change their habits to avoid jail penalties. Apart from any other advantage it might even save the lives of a few wives, girlfriends, children and family members of users/abusers. 

But people should not get too excited. The PM is over endowed with righteousness, virtue and morality and put the kibosh on this plan once before. Hopefully he will not stand in the way this time around.

Wives , girlfriends, children???????? What do you assume all or even most abusers are men? Have you never met the wrath of a Thai woman? A Thai woman who looses her temper can be quite violent and abusive.Im not just talking about bargirls..... Highly educated professional working Thai women too. They all seem to have this Gene.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The NLA passed by a landslide vote the three narcotics control policy bills, which are an effort by authorities to reform official drug policies and tackle the problem of overcrowded prisons.

Sounds like progress, but as for prison overcrowding Thaksin had the "ultimate solution" kill them all, surprising that he stopped at 2800 people really. A side benefit was that there was no overcrowding of the courts, no trials, no problem.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

It is rare that I have anything good to say about the Junta or the NLA, but this is the exception.

Decriminalization of weed for medical purposes is an all around good thing. However, it is merely a first step in a better process of complete legalization.

What are the benefits of legalization? Increased tax money. Increased tourism. Fewer people in jail. Lower assault rates. Lower domestic violence and thus better protection for women. Less drunk-driving. Etc Etc Etc.

Thailand; this is a good first step, but it would be better if you simply went ahead and implemented full legalization. Someone in SE Asia will do it and the first country to do so will reap most of the benefits.

You always say you want to be a "Hub"; now is your chance.

Dare to do the right thing...

Totally agree but there must be a 'reason' ($$$) and I certainly don't believe P&P would do it for altruistic reasons. But would be over the moon to see it happen. 70%?  that's madness