First convict executed in Thailand in nine years

webfact

6 minutes ago, BangkokBaksida said:

I was hoping it was going to be that railway employee who raped that young girl then threw her off the train to her death.

he should be next.

2 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

I think there was a little premeditation involved. He didn't just bring the knife for his own protection.

maybe he was heading for a BBQ, bring your own.

Once this news gets around the prison population there are gonna be some rather twitchy rusty sheriffs badges out there, which in a good way is a positive thing, there maybe some really nasty pieces of work now wondering if their time could soon be up.

Will they keep the cull going though, that is the question ?

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

Shame it doesn't happen more often. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

"Live by the sword, die by the sword"

For that it would be necessary that this country has a credible and honest justice. Unfortunately we are far away.

• Like 1

There are hundreds of cruel premeditated murders in Thailand every year. All of them get a royal pardon after the capital punishment. Why not this time? That's the question.  

There are more than 500 prisoners condemned to death in Thai prisons, nearly half because of drug related crimes. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

I've said it many times before, the death penalty is not a deterrent to heinous crimes, and it has innocent victims to it as well. The countries that still use the death penalty, have the worst crime rates, including the US, which as a huge prison population, the highest per capita of any developed nation. If the state kills it's own people as a means of punishment, that sends a very strong message out to the people, a message that says killing is ok if justified. That trickles down into the consciousness of society, and then you get craziness happening at a more frequent level than in the nations without the death penalty. 

People who like to see others killed by the state, source their reasoning from revenge, which essentially brings their logic down to the level of the criminal. They should be left to rot in a jail cell for the remainder of their lives

I could quite happily agree with that, if YOU paid the bill for keeping him in jail instead of the taxpayer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brucec64 said:

I dont disagree with the ruling or the application of the law. My point was that I thought that this was an edge case.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Stabbing somebody 24 times is an edge case?

3 hours ago, JGV said:

An eye for an eye mentality equivalent to 5 year old thinking

Capital punishment is barbaric and should be a statistic from history

Try and deal with the causes and solve them

How would YOU deal with somebody who stabs an innocent person 24 times?

Make him wai to the family and pay a 500 baht fine?

Good for you 4MyEgo - spot on. I rejoiced to see it happen - made my Day. Tired of "sympathy for the criminal and not the victim" - as is what happens in many Western lands. Kudos to the Authorities - and it must come from "On High" too, so Grand Stuff Guys! Let's have another few!

11 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Why wait 6 years?

So the list drawn up by warders every week, of those eligible for execution can be circulated and give those on the list ample time fo bribe the warders to take their name out of the first xyz places.

Corruption rules, this is Thailand.

is that a fact, or fantasy?

Not the corruption bit, rather the weekly warders list and payment scheme.

• Confused 1

Public executions stopped in the UK because they were public entertainment. People would bring their whole families, some would jostle and perhaps pay for the best view, others got drunk, hecklers would shout out. No doubt hawkers worked the crowd selling snacks and refreshments.
It all came to be seen as unseemly and inappropriate for what should be a solemn occasion.
The days before tv and internet now they have more variety to watch.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Google told us there were 447 people sentenced to death waiting on death row in Thailand, not sure they will sleep well in the coming days because any execution was really inexpected.

11 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Google told us there were 447 people sentenced to death waiting on death row in Thailand, not sure they will sleep well in the coming days because any execution was really inexpected.

Oh! and don't we feel so sorry for them - the poor buggers, many sleepless nights. 

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

Stabbing somebody 24 times is an edge case?

How would YOU deal with somebody who stabs an innocent person 24 times?

Make him wai to the family and pay a 500 baht fine?

@billd766 I don't think you read the entire thread. I put forward a case where, in the US, where a police office killed someone committing a felony. It was determined to be a justifiable shooting. However, the accomplice was found guilty of felony murder because someone was killed during the course of felony. This was the edge case.

Stabbing someone 24 times is clearly not an edge case...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43673331

22 hours ago, gazmat said:

The timing of this is very strange given Prayuth's European visit starts tomorrow.  With the EU stance on the death penalty, he is opening himself up to more scrutiny and criticism than he will likely already face.  So, I find it hard to believe that he, or any of his NCPO comrades, would green-light the first execution in years at this point in time.  Which begs the question who did and why no advance notification of this policy shift?  

Also, if it is a one-off for deterrent purposes, why this particular inmate?  Or will more 'death row' inmates suffer the same fate from now on? 

Whilst I agree that the sudden undebated (are any) decision to resume executions will not go unremarked in Europe, I also doubt that this regime will have thought it through that far.

Anyway, any criticism will be deflected by "We explained Thailand's special circumstances and they understood", at least internally. That is all they are bothered with.

I suspect that a message is being sent. The convict executed was unlucky, wrong place wrong time?

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

I haven't seen the Amnesty people crying foul or condeming when people get rapped and murdered by these low life, pity they didn't televised the execution for every would be murderer to see...

Have you taken your humanity pill today?

Thought not. Better get one down quickly, before the hair and toenails start to grow.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, shy coconut said:

is that a fact, or fantasy?

Not the corruption bit, rather the weekly warders list and payment scheme.

Can't vouch for it definitively, I got it from the Nation some years ago, so it could be either.

It would be consistent with what is known though, so my first instinct is to say it's probably true.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:56 AM, nausea said:

So they end the moriatorium that's been in place since 2009 just like that. A bit strange. I missed the debate that initiated this change in policy. Wonder who, exactly, decided this would be a good idea. And why did they choose this guy? Not saying his crime wasn't heinous but there must be a few on death row more deserving I would imagine.

Maybe now the ice has broken, keep going, especially with the rapist, kiddy fiddlers, and general scumbags, full agreement

from me

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingjock said:

Maybe now the ice has broken, keep going, especially with the rapist, kiddy fiddlers, and general scumbags, full agreement

from me

If you cannot handle them just kill......primitiv attitude

• Like 1