First convict executed in Thailand in nine years

webfact

1 hour ago, maximillian said:

The executed was only 20 when he killed.

Was it premediated murder ?  No. It wasn't. Was it murder at all ? It happened during a robbery, so it was rather manslaughter. What would the verdict be e.g.in Australia ?

Then why wait for 6 years to execute ?

I'm afraid some of the TVFmembers would also applaud at the execution of the two Burmese accused of murder in Koh Tao.

He was carrying weapon during a robbery, hence it was armed robbery, which implies intent to harm or kill anyone who might get into his way.

Now as far as the death penalty is concerned?.. I don't know for sure...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Yes, I think I got that, the rubber arm was a bit of a give-away.

Does that make it any more acceptable to have hordes of brain-dead journos slavering over the demo? I don't think so, it is demonstrative of the mentality of Thais whichever way you present it.

Your "pretty awful "comment was in reply to Tomta's post saying that the BP showed the executee strapped down; you didn't mention then that it was  a demonstration.

Hindsight maybe? Or did you just want to post yet another of your endless Thai-bashing comments?

Personally I am not a believer of state executions, but haven't you seen the many TVF posters who  frequently call for the death penalty here and in their own countries - no doubt they approve of the execution.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elwood said:

Your "pretty awful "comment was in reply to Tomta's post saying that the BP showed the executee strapped down; you didn't mention then that it was  a demonstration.

Hindsight maybe? Or did you just want to post yet another of your endless Thai-bashing comments?

Personally I am not a believer of state executions, but haven't you seen the many TVF posters who  frequently call for the death penalty here and in their own countries - no doubt they approve of the execution.

My mistake. I did not read the photo caption. However, it was still pretty awful. Nevertheless, the logic of deterrence as a principle behind capital punishment should lead to executions being done as publicly as possible..

23 minutes ago, elwood said:

'Hindsight maybe? Or did you just want to post yet another of your endless Thai-bashing comments?'

Thai-bashing? That's a pretty daft comment to make. I do not bash Thais by observibg how they behave. If anyone does, they do it to themselves by behaving in that way. Not my problem.

In any case, is it cockroach-bashing to observe that cockroaches have 6 legs? Of course not, it's only bashing cockroaches in the fevered but uncomprehending minds of people who prefer to think everything in the garden is rosy and feel free to abuse people who know it isn't and say so. Political correctness at it's feeble-minded best.

Get a grip...

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, tomta said:

My mistake. I did not read the photo caption. However, it was still pretty awful. Nevertheless, the logic of deterrence as a principle behind capital punishment should lead to executions being done as publicly as possible..

Indeed. If our simple-minded friend thinks that Thai journalists would flock to a demo, then they would not to the real thing (given the chance), then he is even more simplistic than it appears.

No mean feat.

• Confused 1

Just now, tomta said:

Public executions stopped in the UK because they were public entertainment. People would bring their whole families, some would jostle and perhaps pay for the best view, others got drunk, hecklers would shout out. No doubt hawkers worked the crowd selling snacks and refreshments.

It all came to be seen as unseemly and inappropriate for what should be a solemn occasion.

24 minutes ago, bannork said:

You misunderstood the photo and then attack journalists. Better to say nothing.

I misunderstood nothing and I crticise or mock those who begave like animals.  It is what it is.

No like? No read.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, bannork said:

Public executions stopped in the UK because they were public entertainment. People would bring their whole families, some would jostle and perhaps pay for the best view, others got drunk, hecklers would shout out. No doubt hawkers worked the crowd selling snacks and refreshments.

It all came to be seen as unseemly and inappropriate for what should be a solemn occasion.

But these  days you can see far more brutal acts on the internet including Isis using a shotgun to the head in slow  motion on 4  poor  devils and the Mexican  drug  gang chainsaw beheadings.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tomta said:

I think it does nothing to deter but it does stop repeat offences by said perp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Officials Silent On Thailand’s 1st Execution In 9 Years

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

bangkwang-696x435.jpg

Justice minister Prajin Jantong visits the lethal injection chamber at Bang Kwang Prison on Dec. 30.

BANGKOK — Death penalty opponents were caught by surprise by Thailand’s first execution in nine years Monday night while officials offer no explanation.

After 26-year-old Teerasak Longji was executed at Bangkok’s Bang Kwang Central Prison by lethal injection for aggravated murder, the leading group calling for abolition of capital punishment said Tuesday it deplored the decision and had no idea why the unexpected execution occurred now.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/06/19/officials-silent-on-thailands-1st-execution-in-9-years/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-06-19
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, bannork said:

Yes, and that is generally seen as some sort of advance in civilized values. But there's no real reason to say that keeping it private is better or less barbaric than doing it in public. As i said before, if the deterrence principle holds, the government would screen it on TV, use it in classrooms and sell tickets for the event to be held at the biggest stadiums. From some of the comments here, it would seem there would not be a shortage of eager fans wanting to buy tickets.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

quote with a snip  

“This is a deplorable violation of the right to life.   <snip>   Katherine Gerson, Amnesty International’s Thailand Campaigner, said in a statement.

Not a single word from Katherine Gerson, Amnesty International’s Thailand Campaigner, about the deplorable violation of the right to life of the victim at all.

When Amnesty International start talking about the rights of the victims BEFORE the rights of criminals then I may take some notice of them.

But until then IMHO they are a waste of space.

That's your view, and it's to be respected for that. But many governments do listen to them as a moral voice in a plentifully amoral world. I think their opinion trumps yours, but hey, that's democracy for you.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

It was pretty crass for the Bangkok Post to show pictures of him strapped down on the gurney-the morbid voyeurism in this country is creepy at times.

Crass? Maybe. But I think any society should understand the things that are done in the name of its citizens. They should show the real death publicly in all its gory detail if they think it's a good thing.

46 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Indeed. If our simple-minded friend thinks that Thai journalists would flock to a demo, then they would not to the real thing (given the chance), then he is even more simplistic than it appears.

No mean feat.

By the cringe, you are an arrogant piece of work.

I did not say Thai journos would not flock to an execution. The media attends such things because many of the public do want to know what goes on, in Thailand and other countries.

Every post I have seen from you manages to be a Thai-bash, but you claim that  you are only commenting on how the Thais behave. However, this is only as seen through your eyes, eyes that only find bad in anything they do.

Anyway, I am out of this topic and out of your daily prattling - better to be a simpleton than a tunnel-visioned hater, who only seemed to join this forum in order to spew your bitter viewpoints to a wider audience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tomta said:

Yes, and that is generally seen as some sort of advance in civilized values. But there's no real reason to say that keeping it private is better or less barbaric than doing it in public. As i said before, if the deterrence principle holds, the government would screen it on TV, use it in classrooms and sell tickets for the event to be held at the biggest stadiums. From some of the comments here, it would seem there would not be a shortage of eager fans wanting to buy tickets.

I suspect you're right, same as there is never a shortage of watchers volunteering to watch a death sentence being carried out in USA. But hey, nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of people.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1