Charging 2 baht for a cup - not all Thais agree!

webfact

Charging 2 baht for a cup - not all Thais agree!

7PM.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Manager reported on an Instagram post that featured a picture of a sign at a popular Phat Thai restaurant that is now charging for cups.

The sign said: "With ice 2 baht, empty cup 2 baht".

Manager said that the post on the "iamverybee" account inspired much comment.

Some people though charging would help prevent litter and protect the earth's resources while others said they should not be so mean.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-19

I don't think charging people for things like bags or cups will work here. The public won't buy into the theory behind it. 

I read take aways in the UK are banning straws. How could Thais cope without a straw. Every drink I get given here (except a beer) comes with a straw that I don't need. 

WE all have  to start somewhere dealing with the waste, 

go with out if you do not want to pay, 

really what is 2 baht, maybe we have a new way to pay street beggars 

give them a cup 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BobbyL said:

I don't think charging people for things like bags or cups will work here. The public won't buy into the theory behind it. 

I read take aways in the UK are banning straws. How could Thais cope without a straw. Every drink I get given here (except a beer) comes with a straw that I don't need. 

"Mai ow laawt" = ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Hide the 2 baht in the price of the coffee/tea but offer a 2 baht discount to those who bring their own cup. Everyone loves a discount. 

Same here in my local coffee shop in Chiang mai, cheaper if you bring your own cup for takeaway

• Like 1

Hide the 2 baht in the price of the coffee/tea but offer a 2 baht discount to those who bring their own cup. Everyone loves a discount. 
That would be logical.
But this is Thailand...

Seems to me there are a lot of people who think it will no t work because this is Thailand but I don't see many here saying they would give it ago to try to change the attitude and help to kick start an environmental change . Oops look as if I was a bit hasty  CLW has just come up with the perfect solution. Try your thai bashing and negative crap on his response to the problem

Edited by Aupee
Sent in haste
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Every drink I get given here (except a beer) comes with a straw that I don't need. 

I always ask for a straw with my beer...at my local 7/11,Tesco and Family Mart they automagically give me one or 3 depending how many beers I buy ?  and some free  bin liners/soi dog pooper scoopers mits too !!!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

I agree.  I think there’s more than one way to get to where the business chooses to be: either policy and/or financially...   so, I think from a consumer point of view, it’s always better to offer a discount than it is a surcharge.. EVEN IF that’s a discount off a now-higher price.. while there will be some measure of vocal “push back”, to idea of a discount off a now higher price, I suspect in the end, the nett result will be better than by going with the surcharge off the previous (lower) price... only because I’ll bet that in the subconscious mind of the typical consumer, the love of a discount still exceeds the hatred of a price hike.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Friend of mine runs a small coffee shop. Normal prices but if people bring their own plastic cup she knocks 5 bht off the cost. Alot of her customers now bring their own cups along.

Good idea, and it's good for the environment! 

• Like 1

In all of our restaurants I Yangon:

No straws

No plastic bags

---

Marketplace grocers on Mondays, bring your own eco bag. 

--

Even the farangs here in Thailand have developed the BUFFALO MENTALITY. 

--

IT will work in Thailand.

-- 

In Cambodia they charge. 10 Riels for a plastic bag in some places. 

• Thanks 1

Shocked !   Majority of Thai's i know want straws with their Beer as well as they say they can get pissed cheaper and quicker drinking it through a straw.
Urban myth.
Same reason I here often Thais drinking Chang Beer because it has or had 1 Vol % more than other beers.

15 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Friend of mine runs a small coffee shop. Normal prices but if people bring their own plastic cup she knocks 5 bht off the cost. Alot of her customers now bring their own cups along.

Looks like the price may go up 5 baht.