TAT showcases Pattaya as reinvented destination, but not everyone is convinced

webfact

TAT showcases Pattaya as reinvented destination, but not everyone is convinced

By Xinyi Liang-Pholsena

ptty.jpg

In recent years, Pattaya has been striving to show itself to be more of a upscale and family-orientated destination, with the opening of attractions such as Cartoon Network Amazone (pictured)

Pattaya was given the spotlight as the host destination for Thailand Travel Mart Plus (TTM+) this year, with organiser Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) placing an emphasis on romance and luxury under the theme “Million Shades of Romance” at its annual tradeshow.

Commenting on the choice of Pattaya for TTM+ 2018, which was held last week at Ocean Marina Yacht Club, Tanes Petsuwan, deputy governor for marketing communications, TAT, said: “After two years of positive response in Chiang Mai, we wanted to show the new image of Pattaya and overthrow old perceptions of the city. Pattaya has reinvented itself for upscale travellers, with the Ocean Marine Yacht Club, Cartoon Network Amazone, F&B venues, Ramayana Water Park, international golf courses, etc.”

Located on the east coast of the Gulf of Thailand, Pattaya is expected to benefit from the Thai government’s “multimillion infrastructure investment” currently underway as part of the Eastern Economic Corridor development plan, Tanes added.

Full story: https://www.ttgasia.com/2018/06/19/tat-showcases-pattaya-as-reinvented-destination-but-not-everyone-is-convinced/

-- TTG ASIA 2018-06-19

"Pattaya has reinvented itself for upscale travellers, with the Ocean Marine Yacht Club, Cartoon Network Amazone, F&B venues, Ramayana Water Park, international golf courses, etc.”

All those mentioned "attractions" are located somewhat outside of Pattaya city It's self....though I think eventually Pattaya city will grow large enough for them to actually be "in Pattaya"

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Shouldn't it read: nobody outside the TAT is convinced?

Speak for yourself.  In my 8 years here I've seen much change and Pattaya is, indeed, in the process of reinventing itself.  Of course, if you only go to Walking Street and Soi 6 you'll remain unconvinced.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Darcula said:

I know some people do like to get a whole week in BoyzTown. :bah:

But that's just not my thing.

I know some people do like to get a hole weak in BoyzTown. :bah:

There, that's better.............

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, johng said:

"Pattaya has reinvented itself for upscale travellers, with the Ocean Marine Yacht Club, Cartoon Network Amazone, F&B venues, Ramayana Water Park, international golf courses, etc.”

All those mentioned "attractions" are located somewhat outside of Pattaya city It's self....though I think eventually Pattaya city will grow large enough for them to actually be "in Pattaya"

That's sort of the point.  All these attractions are part of greater Pattaya; there's lots to do here both in the city and, now, in it's surroundings, as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes but it seems to be  trying to emulate Bangkok  no beach,horrid traffic,loads of shopping malls

I have a beach, less than 50 meters from my condo--but more important is the ocean attached to it, and the sound of the waves, and watching the boats, and the sunsets.  Just back from 4 days in Bangkok and Pattaya traffic is tame in comparison.  Loads of shopping malls?  Not a problem for me--I like having a choice.

I think there is work to be done. I have been there twice in the last 2 months with my wife and grand daughter. Each time we ask for a bed for the baby who is 6 months old they did not have a  baby bed in the hotel. We had to get extra blankets and make a bed on the floor. You would think a family destination hotel would have beds for babies huh.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

TAT, said: “After two years of positive response in Chiang Mai

Positive response in Chiang Mai???

The place is a shadow of its former self. Thank goodness for the Chinese who come for reasons they have not because of a response to a TAT drive.

They don't mind traditional stalls being moved leaving barren areas where the bright lights of vendors used to be and bars being shut down at 12 midnight, drinking up time, what's that?

This town is going like a ghost town...

• Like 1

Just make Pattaya a safe and clean city first. That's the first priority in attracting quality  tourists. The Thai people living and working in Pattaya need to get the message from the TAT to clean up your act. If not it won't happen in our life time.

• Like 1

So inviting people who may never see another part of Thailand to Pattaya will present the image of Thailand that TAT wants them to take home and share with the rest of the world? That sure will have a positive long term effect :). 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, johng said:

To be exact they are located in the Nongprue Municipality which thankfully has nothing to do with Pattaya City Hall

42 minutes ago, a977 said:

Pattaya has reinvented itself for upscale travellers,

Yes - all taximeters now use their meters; police seeking bribes from businesses now do it in secret; roads are completely safe after police venture out after dark; motorbike taxi drivers have been told to stop kicking tourists in the head; all Africans have been expelled; - have I missed anything?

• Like 2