Is this '88 Suzuki Caribian worth the price?

Ryan W

I'm based in Chiang Mai and in the market for a car that my gf and I can roadtrip in around Northern Thailand and Laos. We'll be using it predominantly for excursions, rather than getting around the city. I don't want to go over 300K and would like to go under 200K if at all possible. I'll be paying cash rather than seeking a loan.

This '88 Suzuki Caribian is up for sale for 175K by an expat who's leaving Thailand. Based on our texting he seems to have high pride of ownership. 175K seems pretty steep to me for a car of that vintage, but I have no experience buying used cars (let alone used cars in Thailand) and would like opinions particularly from those who know Suzuki Jimnys. I'm test driving it tomorrow. Assuming it's in mint condition is this a fair price? If not what would be a fair price? Here's the listing:

Suzuki Caribian 1988
4WD 5 Speed Manual
Petrol 1.3 litre engine
Amazing condition - new upholstery and window tint film - no rust or mechanical problems.
Regularly serviced since 2004 - many new items including exhaust, rear suspension, steering rack, distributor and high tension leads.
Registered and insured with blue book ready to transfer.

By far the most reliable and fun car I've owned in Thailand. Easy to maintain, cheap to repair, with some TLC it should last another 30 years!

Also under consideration is whether this is a good vehicle to get in the first place. I'm weighing this against a more conventional buy like a 4-5 year old Toyota Vios or similar from a dealer like Toyota Sure or an expat private seller (I understand I'll probably have to up my budget for this). Perhaps someone with experience driving one of these Suzukis could help illuminate where they shine and where they're a pain in the ass? Ultimately, is this the right vehicle for a young couple looking for adventure in Northern Thailand/Laos? Very up to personal opinion I know, so please do share your personal opinions.

927085448_ScreenShot2018-06-23at4_35_39PM.png.b0f673d20b600a04e2e9166fddde3ea3.png

Edited by Ryan W
clarification
  • Like 1

Yes as a highway vehicle they are pretty bad but off road they are fantastic!!!They will go where many bigger 4x4 trucks get stuck.

On the positive side it will hold its value pretty much from now on.

If you are not going to make long trips and stay of the highway it can be a very fun vehicle.Check it out and make sure it is not rusted too bad,a lot of these come from the islands and driving on the beach or in seawater does not do them much good.

• Like 1

This was my first car in Thailand (in 1994). It is loud, it is uncomfortable, it gulps gasoline down like a camel in the desert, it is slow, but it never left me stranded and took me where other people would not walk to. A big enhancement was to get the power steering installed, which was regular with the newer models. This upgrade was worth every single of the 10,000 Baht I paid for it.

The vehicle (I don't dare call it a car) took me about 150,000 kms through Thailand in about two years. Would I buy it again? Maybe yes as a third car for fun off road. Would I pay a 6-digit price for it? NEVER! Good luck, may your decision be a wise one.

P.S.: The new car was 298,000.00 Baht, bought in Bangkok.

Edited by hkt83100
Add price.
  • Like 2

175K - he's dreaming

30 years old - he wants 60% of new price

12 car has 2500 plus Toyota Vios for sale. Sure - a cookie cutter machine.

But service everywhere in Thailand, parts cheap, and ain't 30 years old with a ride like a tractor.

20 minutes ago, Ryan W said:

Wow thanks for all the speedy replies guys! Your intel has been invaluable and pretty much unanimous. As a result we'll be looking elsewhere for a proper car, especially since the places we want to get to will require hours on the highway. Cheers!

Seems the seller is trying t get his expenditure back....

If you were going to do a lot of miles l think you would soon get pissed off with it....bored.gif.8399c259e43618f1ffb4212115e8bd82.gif

• Like 1

well fun vehicle if you live on a small island or rural area with poor roads.  in this circumstance its a brilliant runabout.

if its going to be doing any highway driving, dont bother.

Available in the philipines still as a Jimny, they are pretty cool little vehicles especially the new model.

love one for the beach here.

https://www.topgear.com.ph/features/feature-articles/gallery-new-suzuki-jimny-a00187-20180619?ref=tag?ref=feed_1

Some guy took one & put a big Nissan diesel powertrain + lifted it with wider diffs & big tires, tricked out suspension, along with all the good brand off-road accessories including harnesses...

By the time I looked it over it was serious machine....

And, it's about the only one of those I'd ever think about getting in again....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 5:36 PM, worgeordie said:

I used to own one years ago,the ride is pretty bumpy,but

they will go were a car cannot,if the one in the picture is

the one for sale,it looks clean enough,but depends when

the photo was taken.

It's 30 years old,I think at the time I paid 300,000 +- New,

he says regularly serviced since 2004,so what was it

doing before that,you need to check whether it was a hire

car,as there used to be quite a few around.

Get him down on the price,(if you want it),says hes leaving

so will want to shift it,good luck.

regards Worgeordie

Agreed ... bring down the price, have cash in hand but let a good mechanic have a look at it first.

I had one in St. Thomas back in the 90s ... bought it used then, and loved it -- bumpy ride yes, but A-1 dependable wheels --- never fails unless you ignore battery life ...

• Like 1

A 10 year old pickup like an Isuzu  D Max or Chev  Colorado  ( same running gear ) will cost you 250k baht or so with around  150k kms on them. ( Toyota costs more...)

There will be parts a plenty , and it will have a powerful enough 2.5 litre turbo  diesel that will sit you squarely on the road , even at speed , and be surprisingly fuel efficient.

Get the 1 and a half cab and you will still have a smallish back seat  to keep luggage secure and dry. 

The models back then have 'Common Rail' diesels and these motors  are well regarded for reliability.

You will be able to sell it fairly easily  later on as well ...

I bought a brand new one of these with full options, back in '90. Crash bars front and rear and side steps, and all the other goodies. Took it everywhere in the north, even into Myanmar at one time. Bangkok on many occasions too. Yes, not the most comfortable ride, under powered, but a great fun vehicle. Never a problem in all the years I had it. Sold it in pristine condition to a fellow farang for 150,000 baht.

He drove it for several years and traded it in at the dealers I bought it from on a new Vitara. The dealer (a friend) kept it for his son, who s still driving it. Your seller is asking way too much, even if it is in good nick.....Keep looking or offer him 100,000 baht

• Like 2

The first questions is, are you going offroading? I'm guessing not, find a 2nd hand toyota, better comfort, gas mileage and easier to fix. Unless you really like the car for its shape or whatever other reason, there are better buys out there.

The only reason why the price is so high is because Thais love to use this as an offroading vehicle, these use to cost not over 100k, 5-10 years ago.

On 6/24/2018 at 11:04 AM, Ryan W said:

Wow thanks for all the speedy replies guys! Your intel has been invaluable and pretty much unanimous. As a result we'll be looking elsewhere for a proper car, especially since the places we want to get to will require hours on the highway. Cheers!

On 6/24/2018 at 11:04 AM, Ryan W said:

Ryan  my daughter has a nice Ford Escape Auto never raced or rallied for sale  only one  lady driver as she will head off to Uni soon, 

Edited by bontang

On 6/23/2018 at 6:36 PM, mjnaus said:

I owned one as well. In very good condition as well, built in a LPG tank as these things guzzle fuel like you wouldn't believe. Sold mine for 150k about 7 years back, which was a fair price back then. If you're seriously interested, you should definitely bring down the price. I'd say 125k is reasonable, 175k definitely is not.

All that said; I would not recommend anyone to get this car. Although it did great off-road, it's a horrible ride on regular roads. It's a heavy car, with a tiny engine which adds additional problems. And no matter how well it's been maintained, with this car at the mentioned age, you will be looking at frequent repairs. I had the car for around four years and easily spend 100k on fixes. If you're not fuzzy or like to tinker with cars yourself, it might be a good car to get (if you can get it a fair price) but if you're looking for a convenient, no-hassle car, I would look at something else. With the mentioned budget you'll have better options.

hello,

I am also interested in a small car like this one but I do not buy anything second hand, so do you know what is sold now as brand new ?

Thank you.

Hi All, I own a 1996 Caribian, 1.3. On a long run 500 KM she does around 7kml at best, driving at 2500 Rpm, 70/75 KMH, LPG.

Fitted with oversize wheels and tires, uprated suspension, brakes as well as bull bars. also has power steering and aircon, new upholstery, tinted windows, new carpets.

The ride is passable, and off road she does well, have tried many times.

I would put the value at around 250000 Baht.

Reliably informed the upgrades to this jeep cost around 400000 Baht.

Previously owned a Caribian, for 3 years, paid 125000 Baht , got my money back when I sold, KML was better as had smaller wheels and tires.

Tom

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tomtaylor1 said:

Hi All, I own a 1996 Caribian, 1.3. On a long run 500 KM she does around 7kml at best, driving at 2500 Rpm, 70/75 KMH, LPG.

Fitted with oversize wheels and tires, uprated suspension, brakes as well as bull bars. also has power steering and aircon, new upholstery, tinted windows, new carpets.

The ride is passable, and off road she does well, have tried many times.

I would put the value at around 250000 Baht.

Reliably informed the upgrades to this jeep cost around 400000 Baht.

Previously owned a Caribian, for 3 years, paid 125000 Baht , got my money back when I sold, KML was better as had smaller wheels and tires.

Tom

Yes it al depends what you are looking for,i have always been a pick-up off road kind of person but recently sold my old 4x4.Those days are over but we still have a pick-up .

There are

Suzuki off road clubs all over the world,people just change the wheels and take them off roading,go home change the wheels again and take them to go to work.

Having a vehicle like this is not just the practical side,it is a hobby also.

Prices are what you are willing to pay,a truck with a lot of work done will be more expensive ofcourse.

I have seen many of these go places where bigger trucks just sank in the mud,good times.

There are many good responses to your post.

I have owned a 1995 Suzuki Caribian since 2007. When I bought it back then, it was in pristine condition, on 15" wheels with 235-75-15 tyres. It had been well maintained by a woman with the Army. The front hubs had been covered up with Lenso hub caps on the alloy rims. So not used off road.

I run on petrol and LPG.

The truck, and it is a truck, being based on the Suzuki Sporty SJ413 and converted by Carryboy canopies.

It can be a hard ride These are not comfortable trucks, fuel consumption is not great, they are not fast or designed for speeds in excess of 90km/h (if you're lucky), but the reason I have kept mine is they are extremely reliable, cheap to insure, parts are not expensive and are all over Thailand and the Thais love them as off road fun vehicles.

During the 2011 floods up here, mine was the only thing in the village that was moving aside from Kubota tractors carrying passengers on trailers. They can be fun to drive if driven as a small truck and not a sports car. 

The seller is asking a high price IMO. 

Here are some comparisons. https://rodmuesong.com/รถสำหรับขาย/suzuki-caribian-year-1988/1988-สภาพดี-aid250721

There are later models around at lower prices than the one you've seen.

You won't have trouble finding your truck in a Tesco parking lot. They are not high on the list of desirable stolen vehicles simply because of the reasons above.

Test drive a few if you are at all curious. Automatic transmission is not an option, but why would it be?

Good luck.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

Had one just like this but year 91.

Three months ago a Taxi run into it while it was parked, totally wrecked.

I managed to squeeze out 75.000 from the insurance company, they started at 60.000 baht value.

I bought it for 100.000 baht seven years ago.

I still have my old Suzuki Caribian.
Depends on what you need the car for.
Driving around in off-road terrain is fun.
Here on the islands or in tourist areas, the car can be rented out very well.
In terms of price, the condition is decisive.
Good models can be resold well to car rental companies and are searched.
So they are relatively stable in price.
On the car are no electronic bells and whistles which can go broke.
My Caribian has been riding for 8 years without any problems.
For long distances and as a family car not recommended.
This is just a classic fun car, ideal as a second or third car in the fleet.

If you want to buy a Suzuki Caribian, you should have driven at least 5 different cars to get a feel for a still good vehicle. Gearedness, tightness of the clutch and axle and steering tolerances give a good indication whether the car is still tough. The specified mileage on the speedometer you can forget. There are vehicles that have already driven 300,000 or 400,000 kilometers. And that's the advantage, the Caribbian are like old Japanese oaks and are indestructible.

Edited by tomacht8