SURVEY: Death Penalty -- More, less or none at all?

Scott

SURVEY: Death Penalty, more, less or not at all?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thailand recently executed its first prisoner in nine years.   Which of the following best describes your opinion on the use of the death penalty?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

For further reading, here is the story:

• Like 1

To all anti-death penalty apologists; check out the story of the woman found yesterday in Bangkok in a dozen pieces.  This perpetrator does not deserve to draw breath again ever.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/applications/tapatalk/index.php?/topic/1044490-Female's-head-found-in-a-bag-in-northern-Bangkok---torso-nearby-in-fertilizer-sacks

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The Police. Is there anyone here who will express high confidence in the abilities, honesty and professionalism of the police? Anyone?

I firmly and with unquivering doubt will place the highest confidence in the police in their abilities to collect tea money, honesty denying doing such a thing and professionalism of efficiency it entrails.

Eh yea, again, not completly opposed to it, but I don't see it as a benefit for/in Thailand due to all the obvious pointed out in less than 10 posts already. Not to mention their laws would extend to make defamation punishable by death in no time haha

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

While I understand the desire on the part of some to see the death penalty used, especially for the most heinous of crimes, I do not believe it is rational to use it in Thailand because of the Police, the Legal System and the Judiciary.

The Police. Is there anyone here who will express high confidence in the abilities, honesty and professionalism of the police? Anyone?

The legal system. Inside the legal system, there are clerks who handle evidence, there are CSI technicians, there are administrators, there are court clerks and translators (as required), etc. Is there anyone here who will express high confidence in the abilities, honesty and professionalism of all these people? We all deal with Thai bureaucrats on a regular basis; anyone want to express that confidence?

The Judiciary. We have all seen several... dubious decisions by the Judiciary over the years, especially where there are High-Sos and/or money involved. Is there anyone here who will express high confidence in the abilities, honesty and professionalism of the Judiciary? Anyone?

If a society wants to have the Death Penalty, then it must have an incredibly effective, honest, professional and competent Police Force, Support People in the Justice System, and Judiciary. Can anyone argue that these things exist in Thailand?

Utilizing the Death Penalty in Thailand is madness. Unfortunately, the entire Justice system does not yet rise to the level of competence required to be able to assert that an innocent person would not be executed. And, until you can confidently assert that an innocent person will not be executed, you should not and must not use the Death Penalty.

I agree.. given that the death penalty is finality - and can’t be reversed or even compensated if in error - BEFORE I would sanction its use, I would want very good assurances (recognizing that no system will ever be or can be wholly infallible) that the system from which it is a part of, is transparent, fair, equatable and that the rights of all parties are equally represented.

As an outsider to the Thai judicial system, it is my option only that the system here just does not rise in my mind, to a point where I’d feel comfortable that the death penalty was applied after a fair, transparent and equatable system has been administered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

To all anti-death penalty apologists; check out the story of the woman found yesterday in Bangkok in a dozen pieces.  This perpetrator does not deserve to draw breath again ever.

Yes, and read the story of the lady who said that rapists shouldn’t be executed.

Some people seem to draw pleasure from misery. The whole call ‘fight’ when two people are on the cusp of exchanging blows. We need smart and rational people to call the shots. Not the disinfranchised.

Ever read a bleach bottle when on the toilet? It warns people not to drink it. That’s a signal that we are still evolving. 

• Like 1

I agree, but have to be 100% certain.

• Thanks 1

Death penalty here=kill innocent people.

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

For heinous and inhuman crimes where's cruelty was dispropenionly used, i say jab the sucker with all you've got...

Yes only if they are guilty. 

3 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

To point the finger solely at thailand suggests you have issues.

No, but possibly he has seen what type of justice you can get here. Possibly you have not!

• Like 1

After watching the fiasco at Koh Samui over the murders of a British couple I'm afraid that in this country (and others) that there is a good chance that innocent people end up getting framed for murder if it politically expedient to do so and the right patsies can be found, accused, and eventually murdered by the State to make the victim's families feel as though justice has been served and to show that the government 'did something' even if it means killing other innocent people. 

I might support capital punishment if there is a witnessed murder as one caught on video.  But I don't think the State should be the executioner, cut off from the sight of the public behind closed doors.  No, instead the family of the victim should be given the option to exercise an 'eye for an eye' if they choose to do so, and the execution should be in the full view of the public.  Those who argue for a 'deterrence' would get their wish. The family would be avenged.  And if the family choose compassion, then it's life in jail.  If the murder was not witnessed and is based on circumstantial evidence, then it's life in jail. 

• Like 1

Thailand has the death penalty.

Did it deter the perpetrator in any way?

No

Could the wrong person be convicted and put to death?

Quite possible especially in Thailand.

• Like 1

I believe the death penalty should only be used for the Ted Bundy type serial killers who are nothing but pure evil, but one-time murderers, say for example a crime of passion where they completely lose the plot (a seemingly common occurrence here) then an appropriate prison sentence should be applied. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

That is not what I am concerned about then they should get a life sentence with no parole. Death is real final and I am ok with that in certain cases. Problem is (i don't like to agree with Samui Bodeh) the court system and police here are not really that fool proof. In certain cases with CCTV, lots of witnesses DNA and such and a real cruel murderer i could be pro death penalty. 

But generally speaking here in Thailand I would be against it because of the risk of wrong convicts. I have read it went wrong in the US more then a few times, in the Netherlands we had cases overturned too (no death penalty but cases people were sure about). So I am not against death penalty per se.. just afraid of wrongful executions.

"So I am not against death penalty per se.. just afraid of wrongful executions."

That's always been my reason for not supporting the death penalty too.  One person wrongly executed, is one too many.

I voted for the third option as it most closely represents my views, but only if there is 100% proof of guilt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"So I am not against death penalty per se.. just afraid of wrongful executions."

That's always been my reason for not supporting the death penalty too.  One person wrongly executed, is one too many.

I voted for the third option as it most closely represents my views, but only if there is 100% proof of guilt.

Yes I have no problem with really bad murderers getting executed, problem is wrongful executions. Death is so final. 

• Like 1