OPINION: Change Thailand’s helmet culture

webfact

OPINION

Change Thailand’s helmet culture

By Legacy Phuket Gazette

by Patrick Mattimore

Chiang-Mai-Chiengmai-Thailand-18-L.jpg

On a recent trip to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, I was struck by an interesting phenomenon traveling from the airport to my hotel. I saw perhaps more than a thousand motorcycle riders and passengers, and only one person was not wearing a helmet. Yet, the entire two weeks I spent in that city, I didn’t see a single police officer giving out tickets enforcing a helmet law.

When I got back to Phuket I read many stories about the tragic deaths of various drivers and passengers (cars and motorcycles). The story emphasised several things.

First, at least two of the three motorcycle riders who were killed (in one story I was reading) were not wearing helmets (no mention as to whether the third rider was or was not). Second, the police spokesperson in the article pointed out that the police here are constantly giving tickets to riders who fail to wear helmets – Thais and farang. The fine for not wearing a helmet is still 500 baht.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/on-mind-change-thailands-helmet-culture

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-06-25
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, petermik said:

Absolute joke.....start by fining 1000 baht and doubling it each time they offend....cannot pay.....take the bike off them,simple really :thumbsup:

but if its on finance its  not so simple and many will be.

13 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Soap operas are popular in Thailand. Introduce characters and situations on those programs in which helmets are prominently displayed, not just when characters are riding on their bikes, but also when they are transitioning from or to the motorcycles. 

Role models from a Thai soap opera?  Surely the average Thai person has higher standards than that!

No helmet?  An on the spot, well publicized 10,000 baht fine. Job done.

What's the fine for riding a bike on the beach not wearing a helmet and smoking at the same time??

Might help to insist that the police wear properly fastened helmets for a start. I frequently see them riding around with helmets straps way too loose, or not fastened at all....... and not unusual to see the odd boy in brown not wearing a helmet at all.

Then there is education, which is all but non-existent beyond the odd billboard campaign, promoting 100% helmet use..... Yeah.

And there is the erratic enforcement, requiring miscreants to stop at occasional checkpoints..... After payment of a nominal fee riders get a document that lets them ride sans helmet for the rest of a day. Providing a new crash helmet in return for the fee would be more effective..... and could be a nice little earner for the enforcers as well. Booking helmet less riders anywhere they are observed would be even more effective still, and losing the bike up until the rider returns with a helmet to collect it.

Finally the helmets..... They seem to be marketed on a one size fits all basis, but they don't. A properly fitting helmet is comfortable to wear, and also much more effective than an ill-fitting one. I shopped around till I found a brand that fits, and replaced it with the same brand every three years or so. They stopped making that, and it was quite a while before I found another, which has now also been discontinued. Fortunately I bought another, so I am right for a few more years yet, but am on the look out for what I might replace it with eventually.

Have taken the odd reluctant to wear a helmet local shopping, and found one that does fit..... changes their attitude quite a bit. "Oh good, protection from the police, and also a peak and visor so protection from sun and wind". 

Edited by Aj Mick

Anyone who has lived here for any period of time will have noticed that the take-up rate of riders wearing helmets has improved drastically, the picture today is far better than it was say 10 years ago. Two reasons for that include an increase in the fine for not wearing one and the number of checkpoints that catch people.

• Like 1

Everyone who gets nicked for not wearing a helmet should watch some videos taken at traffic accidents of riders with no helmets who have had a crash. They will puke !  Next day should be spent in the road trauma unit in a hospital looking after some of the patients who had no helmet on.

"interesting phenomenon traveling from the airport to my hotel. I saw perhaps more than a thousand motorcycle riders and passengers, and only one person was not wearing a helmet..."

Its correct that virtually all wear helmets in Vietnam.

Other interesting phenomena  the writer didn't pick up is:

It's  highly unlikely to see fullface hemets being used there.

Not so many females side-riding like here - women tend to wear a 'wraparound skirt' to hide their legs.

Most accidents tend to be bike on bike crashes.

The further you go from HCMC the less cars on the road.

Speed limits in Vietnam are lower in municipal  areas than here and people  drive within those speed limits.

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 2

At least start with vigorous enforcement of persons that fail to wear helmets but at the same time wear surgical masks. That has to be the ultimate oxymoron. Thais cant add:

1 - no helmet

plus 

2- crash with car/truck/wall/tree/pavement

plus

3- pain/amputation/coma/death

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I think that is nonsense and I have been here longer than you (31 years now).

Vietnam managed to get EVERYONE wearing helmets in a matter of weeks back in 2001 IIRC.

Thailand has not managed even that in Bangkok. I see loads of people without helmets on a regular basis and I live very central. 

In the village upcountry it is still extremely rare to see Thais wearing helmets unless going long distances and even then...

Nothing has changed at all certainly in the last 15 years in Bangkok. 

I wouldn't know about Bangkok, my home is Chiang Mai and always has been, maybe Bangkokians are slow to catch on, they never were the smartest bunch.

And who cares about Vietnam, this is not a competition! And who cares that you might have been here longer than I have, from the sounds of things you appear to have been here too long!

Edited by simoh1490
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Everyone who gets nicked for not wearing a helmet should watch some videos taken at traffic accidents of riders with no helmets who have had a crash. They will puke !  Next day should be spent in the road trauma unit in a hospital looking after some of the patients who had no helmet on.

No they wont. they will just laugh, just the same as when they see it on the news.

At the hospital , they would just play on there smart phones or fall asleep.

Welcome to Thai culture. 101.

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

one person was not wearing a helmet. Yet, the entire two weeks I spent in that city, I didn’t see a single police officer giving out tickets enforcing a helmet law.

I suppose the reason you didn't see any police  giving out tickets is because of the reason you gave....they all wear the helmets.

On the other hand...Thailand...my God, a long way to go here. When I see the lack of helmets been worn, not only by lone riders, but families. Some parents wear the helmet while the child sits up front in the"point" position with not the sign of a hat.

1 minute ago, dotpoom said:

I suppose the reason you didn't see any police  giving out tickets is because of the reason you gave....they all wear the helmets.

On the other hand...Thailand...my God, a long way to go here. When I see the lack of helmets been worn, not only by lone riders, but families. Some parents wear the helmet while the child sits up front in the"point" position with not the sign of a hat.

Yet they are wearing surgical asks to avoid a trip to the hospital

• Haha 1