Internet cafe setup

kralledr

Hello,

I have a question can someone please tell me what is the most played games in thai internet cafes?

We plan to open one soon but i can not find any infos on this...

Secondly can someone recommend me a setup to run the most played games in such places?

Are internet cafes still a thing? With every Somchai and his dog having a mobile I would have thought they were the last big thing.

I would ask the local youth what they want, then get machines of at least 50% higher spec. than is needed.

Whatever you do, you will need FAST internet, talk to your local providers about fibre.

13 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

No, completely incorrect. They are full of kids playing games.

There's 4-5 in khon kaen that are always at capacity. 

Check the prices. A lot of these gaming places charge barely more than 10 baht an hour. 

Yep, there's plenty of Internet cafes around.

To the OP; sorry that I can't help you with your question. I would assume that there really isn't anyone on this forum who can as either they're like me (kids are too young to be playing Internet Cafe games) or the members are too old to care as long as the games aren't over the top.

Perhaps take a poll of local kids or be sneaky and rent a computer for an hour at another cafe and take a picture of their offerings. 

Either way good luck with your business. Don't forget to offer drinks and snacks (it's a bit of a danger unless the actual computer is up and away from any possible spills) but can be a huge money maker.

Be aware that every piece of software on those PC's will need the appropriate legal license..you are supposed to have CCTV and log the usage of customers...kids are not supposed to play during school hours...beware of "undercover agents" installing software,games or MP3 then calling a raiding team who will confiscate your equipment with big fines to pay before returning it.
Then you have rent,electricity,internet,breakages and employee costs
@10 baht per hour it will take a long time just to get the initial investment back let alone make any profits.

... wouldn't they protect themselves by running all  of their Terminals 'sandbox'ed ?

Yes good idea ....but again increases initial setup costs, increases complexity and unless a "computer whizz kid" themselves they'd have to pay someone with knowledge to keep on top of all the updates...those "online" games can have large daily updates and won't run without them.

OP: to attempt to answer your question, there is a war game of olden times, armor swords etc.  Can't recall the name.  Before wifi became prominent I used to sit in those places doing my email etc while nearly everyone else was a schoolkid playing that game, with other kids waiting for a terminal to open up.  Saw it played all over the country.  And as someone said above it was cheap, 10-15 baht/hr., and that was app. 10 years ago.

22 hours ago, bendejo said:

Before wifi became prominent I used to sit in those places doing my email etc while nearly everyone else was a schoolkid playing that game, with other kids waiting for a terminal to open up.  Saw it played all over the country.  And as someone said above it was cheap, 10-15 baht/hr., and that was app. 10 years ago.

Same experience. You'd get a subpar (but cheap) email and internet facility on old machines, surrounded by kids gaming noisily. Prices were often 15 baht per hour, 10 baht for half. The places were very useful back when data was expensive and wifi was scarce, or if you needed to print something off, but the pricing structure of gaming cafes (which generally work well on old computers) make it look like a very poor business opportunity these days.

On 6/26/2018 at 5:45 PM, kralledr said:

I have a question can someone please tell me what is the most played games in thai internet cafes?

They can just download the games themselves .

Many internet shop near me have all closed down recently

Be aware of the Thai Cyber Crime law.

You are responsible for logging who (name, address) uses each computer when with details of which websites they used, etc.

And you are responsible for keeping these record and producing them if authorities ask for them.

If you can't produce them you can fined up to 500,000B per day!

I know that most people don't care about that law. But it exists and if someone (maybe the competition) wants to create trouble imagine someone going in your shop to the wrong website writing something bad about ...

You can be in real trouble.

I don't know how often that happens. But it can happen and you should consider if you want to take that risk.

Archived