Real Tom Yam in Pattaya?

Na Fan

Every place I've had it around here seems to take the shortcut and uses buttermilk - which imho completely destroys the dish.

Does anyone know of a place in or around Pattaya that sells a proper Tom Yam made with coconut milk?

No no I mean Tom Yam.

The classic way of doing it is using coconut milk. People do it like that at home, too. I've eaten it several times like this in Bangsaen. 

Here in Pattaya I can't seem to find anything but sweet buttermilk soup (which they sell as Tom Yam Gung / Talay / you name it). Its this canned stuff they usually use, I believe.

download (4).jpg

"real" tom yum?

Well, tastes are different and I never had/would like it with coconut milk or any other "milk".

But after asking wife and Wikipedia, yes there is such a variation.

Wiki:

Tom yum nam khon” is a variety with coconut milk or evaporated milk.

"or" :biggrin:

Here my contribution ends. No idea where to go in Pattaya.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

"or" :biggrin:

Here my contribution ends. No idea where to go in Pattaya.

Yeah, exactly.

There used to be a place on the beach between Bangsaen and Ang Sila - they made it with home made coconut milk. Loads and loads of birds-eye chilies, good quality sea food. Among the best dishes I've ever eaten. 

Unfortunately, that place no longer exists.

Ever since that place got wiped off the map, I've been searching for a good Tom Yam elsewhere. The one I've had tonight was horrible yet again and I figured I'd give it a shot to see if someone else was in the same boat.

Southeast  corner.       Beach Rd. and Pattaya Klang.    Street vendor.  No name.

Thanks for mentioning - but after having lived here 6 years, eating seafood off of street vendors is not something that I'd consider a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Na Fan said:

No no I mean Tom Yam.

The classic way of doing it is using coconut milk.

The Classic Tom Yam has no milk whatsoever, and should be ordered in a restaurant as Tom Yam (Goong) Nam Sai.

The adding of milk (nearly always Carnation Milk) is a fairly new invention and I am not sure why it has really caught on (and I am not talking about Farang thai Restaurants here) as it destroys all the heat and the levels of spiciness of a good Tom Yam.

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 2

Yeah it's possible that I chose the wrong word describing it as classic. 

But I disagree in that the addition of coconut milk destroys the heat. I guess it's just a matter of how many birds-eye chilies you're adding in and how spicy you cook the soup. The ones I've had previously had a very thick, rich creamy soup and were hot as hell (with chilies floating all over the place). 

In that same place we used to jokingly order "Yam prik kee noo sai kai poo duay" because the crab egg salad they'd make (Yam kai poo) would contain more chilies than it did crab eggs. So we'd order a chili salad with crab eggs.

Miss that place.

20 hours ago, Na Fan said:

Thanks for mentioning - but after having lived here 6 years, eating seafood off of street vendors is not something that I'd consider a good idea.

After many more years, I could not recommend highly enough eating off of street vendors. One of the joys of Thailand.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Na Fan said:

Yeah it's possible that I chose the wrong word describing it as classic. 

But I disagree in that the addition of coconut milk destroys the heat. I guess it's just a matter of how many birds-eye chilies you're adding in and how spicy you cook the soup. The ones I've had previously had a very thick, rich creamy soup and were hot as hell (with chilies floating all over the place). 

Yes, but a good Tom Yam will not just have spiciness from chillis.

A classic Tom Yam should also have that peppery spiciness from plenty of Thai Basil.

I find you lose this and all the balance of flavours a good Tom Yam should have, when milk is added.

It's not for me.

Edited by TaaSaparot