Police impostor arrested for soliciting donations for boys trapped in Tham Luang

snoop1130

Police impostor arrested for soliciting donations for boys trapped in Tham Luang

S__9461873.jpg

A man who claimed to be a police officer has been arrested in Ayutthaya province for opening a bank account to illegally solicit donations from the general public to help the 12 youth footballers and their coach who have been trapped in Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district.

The man, who was later identified as Panya Decha, alias Lithang, 37, was arrested at a house in Tambon Bang Padaeng of Bang Pa-in district in a raid by a combined unit led by Ayutthaya governor Sujin Chaichusak and Bang Pa-in district officer Pairat Phetyuan.

The authorities found in the search of the house a bank account of Siam Commercial Bank, Khubon branch, of Mr Panya, a mobile phone and a computer.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-impostor-arrested-soliciting-donations-boys-trapped-tham-luang/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-6-29
  • Haha 1

Thanks Expatthailover for making it clear that predators exist worldwide. Of course some scum like this will exist in Thailand. I live in a very developed country, across the border from where that infamous president reigns (no, not Mexico).

Most readers here would be aware of the hockey team and coach that were killed in an "accident" earlier this year (horrific crash that killed 15 people, including players and the coach of the Humboldt Broncos). There were multiple efforts to solicit funds under dubious circumstances (A disturbing case of fraud has emerged out of the Humboldt Broncos tragedy. A scam artist created a fake Twitter and GoFundMe account for survivor .....).

"It is equally abhorrent that some use this situation to label and smear the entire thai populace." Agreed !

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

It is a lowest of the low crime but to suggest all thais are like that is nothing less than racist

Oh please .

Bad people abound.

If it is as bad as you believe I'd be questionning why I live here.

Npbody is forcung you 

This sort of thing happens in the uk, usa, oz etc etc.

1) "It is a lowest of the low crime..." -   I agree. 

2) "...but to suggest all thais are like that is nothing less than racist" ' -  I respectfully disagree mainly because Thai is not a race but rather a nation forged in recent history by conquests and is an amalgam of culturally, biologically and linguistically distinct groups over the centuries. 

3) "Oh please .

Bad people abound." - I agree. 

4) "If it is as bad as you believe I'd be questionning why I live here." - Start questionning (sic) why you live here.  

5) "Npbody is forcung you" - Not yet in my case. But I haven't yet met that special "Npbody" to start "forcung" me. 

6) " This sort of thing happens in the uk, usa, oz etc etc." - I cannot deny the truth. I agree. You are correct. 

I just thought something funny. What if this guy was a real cop and the cops only said he was an imposter to save there image  Hey i was just being negative. We all know the cops here are corrupt and you would not put something like this past them

6 hours ago, Lucky mike said:

Conmen and scammers are not only in Thailand they unfortunately inhabit everywhere.   Most people I I have met in Thai are good people..

you never know if anyones good  or  not

• Like 2