Coach Faces Charges For Leading Boys Into Tham Luang Cave

webfact

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In his letter, Ake apologised to the parents for taking the boys into the cave network. He didn't 'follow them in'.

It wasn't officially the rainy season yet when they went in, but the weather doesn't know the date and checking whether rain was due before going deep into a cave might have been a good idea. You know, showing a bit of common sense, leadership and responsibility. Because he didn't someone has died.

An article in the London Times describes the cave as the most dangerous in the world, yet the party went in with no preparation at all and no safety equipment. Caving isn't just an afternoon stroll through the woods. It is fraught with danger and their so-called leader demonstrated no awareness and took no precautions. Now the kids are probably scarred for life, being trapped in a dark, wet cave for nearly two weeks, most of it not knowing whether they would ever be found and rescued.

Do you know any Thais?

Very few Thais check anything in advance in my experience, probably particularly true for a young lad from the rural hinterland.

• Sad 1

Well good for after the fact,  being proactive is still a character trait.  he kept them together and calm the best he could.  Let the so-called coach just do soccer.... have you seen some little league so-called coaches...  Error in judgment, lucky this time ..maybe next time.  Get them all out let them recover in peace.

As for the circus to follow... we shall see.

Get those kids out..

3 hours ago, yrag said:

None of parents want to do anything against the coach...quite the opposite... I understand they be thousands of Thai families who want to adopt him....

I have a job waiting for him whenever he wants. Don't think him and the kids will need it when the receive the money for the rights to their story.

2 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

I have a job waiting for him whenever he wants. Don't think him and the kids will need it when the receive the money for the rights to their story.

What type of job ? Anyway if they survive this they should all get some help.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, this is what I have gathered also from what I have read of interviews with parents, the head coach, the team mates who did not join that day and even the shopproprietor who sold them their snacks.

The trip was planned, flashlights etc brought along, parents aware, head coach aware and none of the many adults who knew of this anticipated a problem
They had gone many times before and the rains had not yet started im earnest and the cave was still officially open.

Obviously in retrospect that cave should be closed from a much earlier date. But hindsight is always 20-20. Quite a number of adults familiar with the cave and local to the region did not anticipate what happened.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I read somewhere the head coach was quoted as saying he would never had approved the trip. Maybe fake news or saving face. Lots of here say but at the end of the day the kids likely would have gone it alone and without Ek they likely would have perished.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

There are warning signs on the Thai roads, but who takes any notice of them?

They could have taken their responsibilities more seriously and watch the weather rather than relying on standard weather pattern. As it happened, there were off season heavy rain in June that flooded the cave entrapping the kids and coach. Sensing heavy rainfall, they should get off their hinds and barricade the entrance. Weather pattern has changed; we know but not the Forest Dept. attitude. 

1 hour ago, JAZZDOG said:

I read somewhere the head coach was quoted as saying he would never had approved the trip. Maybe fake news or saving face. Lots of here say but at the end of the day the kids likely would have gone it alone and without Ek they likely would have perished.

Well that can't be right, because the head coach recieved a message and he went to the cave to find them. So he knew where they were. 

Everyone knew. 

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

Well that can't be right, because the head coach recieved a message and he went to the cave to find them. So he knew where they were. 

Everyone knew. 

As has been widely reported the group had visited the cave multiple times before, but this was the first time in rainy season. There was the rub. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As has been widely reported the group had visited the cave multiple times before, but this was the first time in rainy season. There was the rub. 

Well the report that I read said the excursion was preplanned, and the head coach was supposed to take them but something came up, so he sent ekapol with safety instructions before they departed. 

So, as the assistant coach he was doing as he was told. The parents all knew too. 

2 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Well the report that I read said the excursion was preplanned, and the head coach was supposed to take them but something came up, so he sent ekapol with safety instructions before they departed. 

So, as the assistant coach he was doing as he was told. The parents all knew too. 

Yes, I also think the trip was pre-planned and not a secret.

However, as an adult the assistant coach would presumably have the free will to decide to call it off based on it being the rainy season.

He didn't. He should have. Doesn't make him a bad person or a criminal. 

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

Everyone knew. ABC 20/20 is having an hour special tonight and the head coach will be on. Needless to say the news has been muddled.

He didn't state he didn't know were they where. The statement was the he would not have approved the trip. Maybe throw the assistant under the bus, who knows he has kept under the radar. ABC 20/20 is having an hour special tonight and the head coach will be on. Needless to say the news has been muddled.

I must say I was quite surprised the subject was not raised earlier, as this would have been the main subject in US or Europe..

Whom to blame ? How to make some money out of that..

Of course this young guy is responsible for taking the kids inside.. 

I do think he took very good care of them inside and is surely also the one who kept them safe, quiet and healthy inside..

On top of it, this guy has had a very tough life..

According to me he already has been punished enough for the guilt he bares and the fear he surely lived with for the 10 days they spent alone inside without knowing if they would be saved..

If charged for this, he could have to pay a lot of damages including the cost of all the rescue..

Of course, the worst part is the navy seal who died.. Otherwise, if everybody comes out safely, losses are only costs and time spent...

I wish they don t harasse this guy.. Again he has been punished enough.. Those 2 weeks will bad memories will soon be forgotten by the kids..

Have a nice day

• Like 1

It only makes sense that the focus now needs to be on rescuing the remaining five people in there.

I feel confident that the assistant coach will be received with a lot of compassion for what he's been through and his role in helping the group survive. That doesn't mean that the story of why they went in in the first place shouldn't be looked at if for nothing else, future lessons for others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
38 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Yes, I also think the trip was pre-planned and not a secret.

However, as an adult the assistant coach would presumably have the free will to decide to call it off based on it being the rainy season.

He didn't. He should have. Doesn't make him a bad person or a criminal. 

agree with you. no big deal as he simply used  thai intellectual prowess and acumen 

50 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

FAKE NEWS HEADLINE!  The author of that article should be ashamed of themself!  The police must investigate the case of course.  That does not warrant the headline "Coach to face charges".  In all likelihood, the only reason those kids are still alive right now is because that man was there for them.  Just unbelievable to me that anyone would write a headline like that or promote it!  Shameful IMO!

You know what's funny? This forum has this rule:
9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

This "news" falls squarely within that definition of trolling. The false headline has one purpose, to create outrage, unfortunately too many swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AleG said:

You know what's funny? This forum has this rule:
9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

This "news" falls squarely within that definition of trolling. The false headline has one purpose, to create outrage, unfortunately too many swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

True but my issue was not so much with the person who posted it to TVF as it is with the reporter from the newspaper who posted the story to begin with.  It was classic "fake news" designed merely to boost readership, and at the expense of someone who many rightfully believe to be a real hero in all of this.

At the very least, this is one of the few topics on TVF that deserves to be as free as possible from trolling and such nonsense as this article, and all the discussion that's resulted from it.  What happened, and is happening in those caves is an amazing story of courage, bravery, and sacrifice, not only of those kids, but of the rescuers, especially the one that gave his life.  It should be respected as such.

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kohsamida said:

True but my issue was not so much with the person who posted it to TVF as it is with the reporter from the newspaper who posted the story to begin with.  It was classic "fake news" designed merely to boost readership, and at the expense of someone who many rightfully believe to be a real hero in all of this.

Yes, I agree completely. But you would think that with the stink raised about Fake News in the past few years people would be less susceptible to it.

6 minutes ago, AleG said:

Yes, I agree completely. But you would think that with the stink raised about Fake News in the past few years people would be less susceptible to it.

Yeah I guess you're right; it's still wrong though.  We live in real curious times ?

Edited by Kohsamida

The only charges that should be faced, should be faced by the Thai Authorities for not properly making the cave ( and presumably others ) safe.

Caves are really not the kind of places that should be left unguarded or open, in order that anybody can just walk on in .

A sign saying " do not enter from 1st July until, September " is in no way a safety precaution, as the current situation clearly demonstrates.

Shame on the Authorities for even thinking about bringing charges on this guy,. Has he not been through enough already ? without the torment of some morons trying to score points.

The Parents of the kids already say they do not blame him, and after all, it was their kids affected 

• Like 2

This is Thailand, he is a hero here, only foreignera who think like westerners will try to blame him for what happened.

He has also been a monk for many years , practising Buddism and that will only help him to become more famous and heroic in the eyes of most Thais.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, balo said:

This is Thailand, he is a hero here, only foreignera who think like westerners will try to blame him for what happened.

He has also been a monk for many years , practising Buddism and that will only help him to become more famous and heroic in the eyes of most Thais.

Good point; Westerners are so litigious LOL!  Always have to find someone to blame.

A monk?  I had no idea.  Sounds like a pretty decent guy.

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Like 1

My understanding also. The head coach woukd have gone but had a schedule conflict.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

There's only one way to control people going in...

image.jpeg.864feb4fdbb7e2f3bb3e6989d7a3fd3c.jpeg

I'm amazed the authorities hadn't realised the potential in this?

they will now - because tourists now know the place is there

or is it that it'd mean they'd have to become responsible for other people's actions from now on?

3 hours ago, domdom said:

I must say I was quite surprised the subject was not raised earlier, as this would have been the main subject in US or Europe..

Whom to blame ? How to make some money out of that..

Of course this young guy is responsible for taking the kids inside.. 

I do think he took very good care of them inside and is surely also the one who kept them safe, quiet and healthy inside..

On top of it, this guy has had a very tough life..

According to me he already has been punished enough for the guilt he bares and the fear he surely lived with for the 10 days they spent alone inside without knowing if they would be saved..

If charged for this, he could have to pay a lot of damages including the cost of all the rescue..

Of course, the worst part is the navy seal who died.. Otherwise, if everybody comes out safely, losses are only costs and time spent...

I wish they don t harasse this guy.. Again he has been punished enough.. Those 2 weeks will bad memories will soon be forgotten by the kids..

Have a nice day

"If charged for this, he could have to pay a lot of damages including the cost of all the rescue "

Sure absolutely very good point!

He should be able to negotiate payments down to 20 baht a day from his 300 baht per day income and in about a million years the debt is resolved. Win win !

On 7/10/2018 at 7:18 PM, BangkokSausage said:

"If charged for this, he could have to pay a lot of damages including the cost of all the rescue "

Sure absolutely very good point!

He should be able to negotiate payments down to 20 baht a day from his 300 baht per day income and in about a million years the debt is resolved. Win win !

Now I sit on the fence. He is careless the coach but I don't think he had any bad intentions. Shit happens and there are many worse things happening. This just became a media spectacle. Next

Edited by Media1
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...