old PC 2nd hand value

damole

I'm in Chiang Mai and I have a 10 year old desktop base unit that was my old gaming PC. 

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

Asus P5B WiFi Delux motherboard

4GB GSkill RAM

320GB Hard disk

Gigabyte GTX460 VGA card

Gigabyte case

Windows 10 Pro with digital license

I would like to try and sell it on one of the local Facebooks groups here but have no idea what it might  be worth.

Any thoughts?

DreamcastII.jpg

DreamcastIIInternal1.jpg

DreamcastIIINternal2.jpg

Your market is limited unless it has a keyboard with Thai script.

People tend to use laptops and tablets nowadays. Checkout Bahtsold and Thai Visa classifieds for comparable used prices.

Took my old Hewlett Packard to Panthip Plaza and hawked it around. Couldn't even get 500 baht for it. Nothing wrong with it just old and low on RAM.( 1.25 )

Just gave it away in the end.

Thanks for the suggestions!

My main gaming desktop is in the lounge connected to my TV.  The most recent upgrade was a GTX1060 earlier this year, the GTX760 it replaced is sitting around doing nothing.  I also have a Minix U9-H attached to the TV. 

I was using it as a test box as recently I completed a Linux course on EDX and it was useful to be able to install different distros.

Now I'm really trying to, not keep hold of things, in case they might be useful one day.

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Your market is limited unless it has a keyboard with Thai script.

You can by a dual language keyboard for peanuts.

For the OP;  Are there no friends/family looking for a "basic" computer.  The specs you have shown are perfectly good for any normal day to day computing although maybe not for the latest gaming.

15 hours ago, damole said:

I was using it as a test box as recently I completed a Linux course

I was going to suggest using it as a Linux box.  Maybe load up a current distro dual boot with Win10.  A newbie buyer may find that impressive.

As for price, you may find the best you can get is insultingly little, maybe better to keep it and who knows, you may find a use for it, or someone in need, some day.

That said, I have an old laptop in the closet that's been there for years....

• Like 1

Sounds very much like something I'd be interested in. My trusty Win7 PC is gradually nearing  the breaker's yard (by the feel of things) and I've been thinking about replacing it. No, I'm not a gamer in any way - just need a stable box that runs (ugh!) Windows 10.

I'll send you a PM later in the day (busy, right now). Maybe we can figure something out. 

Thanks

On 7/6/2018 at 8:42 AM, damole said:

Thanks for the suggestions!

My main gaming desktop is in the lounge connected to my TV.  The most recent upgrade was a GTX1060 earlier this year, the GTX760 it replaced is sitting around doing nothing.  I also have a Minix U9-H attached to the TV. 

I was using it as a test box as recently I completed a Linux course on EDX and it was useful to be able to install different distros.

Now I'm really trying to, not keep hold of things, in case they might be useful one day.

just as a suggestion,

couldn't you install your redundant GTX760,( i presume it has an HDMI? )  

in the old PC then install some good streaming software. Kodi or similar , for example.

your old PC is still more efficient than  most android boxes and then re advertise it for use with a Big TV?

48 minutes ago, n210mp said:

just as a suggestion,

couldn't you install your redundant GTX760,( i presume it has an HDMI? )  

in the old PC then install some good streaming software. Kodi or similar , for example.

your old PC is still more efficient than  most android boxes and then re advertise it for use with a Big TV?

The old PC (especially with that graphic card) will use a lot more power.

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Guys in Thailand with old tech should give it away, maybe through a charity.

Sounds like a good idea but I think it's better to sell it, maybe to people in need, for a small price.

I gave away for free numerous computers, and some of them were never used. All of those recipients assured me they need a computer for school, etc. But somehow after they got it for free they lost interest.

If someone if not even willing to pay i.e. 500B for a functioning computer then I think we can assume they don't really need it.

Personally I spend too much time preparing old customer PCs with a clean installation of Windows and programs only to see that it was never used...

• Like 1

I've got a similar desktop that I was using at my former school because the director needed all the cash for his new house.

It's now connected to an intelligent TV that isn't really intelligent. Rhe Samsung needs way too long to load and it's more convenient to use it to watch any movies. 

I'm sure that plenty of people would buy your PC even for 1,000 baht, don't you have Sunday markets where people are selling second-hand stuff?

You'd actually get more out of it if you sell the parts, the memory sticks seem to be DDR II?m the motherboard, including the CPU should be worth between 500 and 1,000 baht alone.

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sounds like a good idea but I think it's better to sell it, maybe to people in need, for a small price.

I gave away for free numerous computers, and some of them were never used. All of those recipients assured me they need a computer for school, etc. But somehow after they got it for free they lost interest.

If someone if not even willing to pay i.e. 500B for a functioning computer then I think we can assume they don't really need it.

Personally I spend too much time preparing old customer PCs with a clean installation of Windows and programs only to see that it was never used...

Gawd, this is hard work. OK, one time in Hong Kong a previous tenant left behind an abandoned laptop. I took it down to the nearest rubbish disposal centre and gave it to one of the guys hanging around outside. He was happy to take it. Maybe he had it serviced or sold it on for parts. Whatever. Another time took an old PC tower to the local recycling centre in London. I don't care what they did with it. What would I do in Thailand if taking it to a local charity was too much bother? Give it to one of the guys hanging off the back of one of the moving garbage trucks. They will either recycle or something. Jeez, just get rid of it man and stop wanting to sweat some last 500 baht out of the thing! Move on!

that thing still has more value than 500 baht, alone the windows 10 pro license is worth more than that.

it also has plenty enough power to run any office application.

personally, I would keep it around as a trial ground for downloaded programs I don't fully trust.

If you do dispose of it, either securely  wipe the hard drive or rip it out.

That of course makes the PC useful only to computer enthusiasts but your data might be the most financially valuable thing about it!

For what you'll get for  it you may as well keep it as a spare or to use for Unix - sorry but true.

Just sayin'

• Like 1