Pattaya Immigration photos??

went to pattaya immigration today

i saw the main officer in the retirement visa section taking photos of people on his mobile phone as well as with the small spherical camera on a stalk

why would he want your picture on a personal samsung mobile ?

seems odd to me

58 minutes ago, notamember said:

the small spherical camera on a stalk

This one is common practice since years.

You can hardly forbid them to keep your wanted poster up to date :biggrin:

Mobile phone? No idea what they do with that and how much it is his private phone.

Maybe they have an app to upload/store?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

This one is common practice since years.

You can hardly forbid them to keep your wanted poster up to date :biggrin:

Mobile phone? No idea what they do with that and how much it is his private phone.

Maybe they have an app to upload/store?

i am familiar with the domed camera, its commonplace in Thailand at immigration, airports,police etc as i have been here ''since years''

your poor humor aside, the question was   why was an immigration officer taking additional photos of applicants on his mobile phone

i noted other staff were also picking up and using his mobile phone to take pictures of their applicants too

perhaps its some production issue to prove to his bosses how many people he and his staff serve in a day, maybe they are after a rise in pay?

nevertheless, if this were in any other environment and someone were taking my picture on their mobile phone, i would like to know why and would ask them what they were doing

if i were there for that service instead of a residence certificate i would have asked him myself, had he done so to me

so if its happened to you this week, were you not puzzled/concerned in the slightest?

had the same thing happen to me in chumphon immigration a few years ago... as well as being stopped by local police on the beaches and on the road to my home for personal photos being taken... as for immigration.. beats me why they did it.. i was the only white skinned foreigner there. the others didn't get their photo taken with cell phone cameras... as for being stopped by other locals... they just wanted to show they know a foreigner, to their friends i guess. 

11 minutes ago, notamember said:

i noted other staff were also picking up and using his mobile phone to take pictures of their applicants too

That was your clue.

As @mahjongguy said above whenever picking up passport after getting a new extension for last few years so no not concerned. 

26 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

At Jomtien they only take your photo when you come back to pick up your passport. It's just evidence so you can't claim they lost your passport.

When the webcam isn't working they use a mobile phone.  

At jomtien they take your picture during the application process with the spherical camera on a stalk not only afterwards when picking up

as i said they were using that camera AND his Samsung

21 minutes ago, topt said:

That was your clue.

As @mahjongguy said above whenever picking up passport after getting a new extension for last few years so no not concerned. 

they were not picking up, they were applying and they gave them the pickup number afterwards

32 minutes ago, jossthaifarang said:

Maybe a problem with their system, so just take picture on phone and upload later..

but there was no problem with their system

they used the system camera then he/she/them took an additional picture on his Samsung mobile phone

Might be an app that can be accessed by local police commanders - with current roundups of overstays might avoid extra time in police custody if picked up without passport?  Just a guess. 

Phone may not be working. Phone may have no sim. Could be testing facial recognition software. Research for a book ?  Thai humour? Asked/told to do so by a higher up. Punishment from a higher up?

A couple of years back many visas were issued while the applicants used to be absent. Many officers came under the knife for this so now they take pictures in there persnol mobiles as a proof that the applicant did came to the immigration him/herself. 

14 minutes ago, rrremo said:

A couple of years back many visas were issued while the applicants used to be absent. Many officers came under the knife for this so now they take pictures in there persnol mobiles as a proof that the applicant did came to the immigration him/herself. 

They have a desktop camera hooked up to their computer for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Oh well, maybe he just liked the look of you..

you are obviously not even reading before commenting, he did NOT take my picture, i was merely observing others having it done whilst waiting for a resident certificate

This is typical of Thai management.  It seems that every organization here has tons of redundant procedures and paperwork.  I would guess that someone high up in the Immigration Police food chain had a brain fart of an idea that a mobile phone should be used to generate some kind of report that no-one will read or create a database that no-one will access.

My experience at Jomtien.

Last couple of years had my photo taken on mobile when collecting passport. Previous couple of years it was via the computer camera. Before that, no memory. Always at passport collection time (i.e. next day). Never both options and never during the application process.

For Immigration to use PC camera or mobile (or both) would be absolutely no problem to me, or even if taken on both the application and collection day. Have found Jomtien to be excellent in terms of the Retirement process and if this is the only complaint, then seems some posters have a need to raise issues just for the sake of it.

8 minutes ago, dabhand said:

My experience at Jomtien.

Last couple of years had my photo taken on mobile when collecting passport. Previous couple of years it was via the computer camera. Before that, no memory. Always at passport collection time (i.e. next day). Never both options and never during the application process.

For Immigration to use PC camera or mobile (or both) would be absolutely no problem to me, or even if taken on both the application and collection day. Have found Jomtien to be excellent in terms of the Retirement process and if this is the only complaint, then seems some posters have a need to raise issues just for the sake of it.

clearly thats aimed at me 

if you are the kind of person who does not care about your image being taken without permission and it possibly being used all over social media then ok for you

you are entitled to think its ok and point a finger at me for being opposed to that opinion.

However i for one, do care and am not scared to say so either

so maybe when your picture inadvertently appears in a post about some unsavoury situation then blame yourself for allowing it to happen and saying nothing

for the record , i think chonburi has a great immigration center, i have been visiting since it was on Soi 9 in Pattaya

On 7/6/2018 at 12:43 PM, notamember said:

clearly thats aimed at me 

if you are the kind of person who does not care about your image being taken without permission and it possibly being used all over social media then ok for you

you are entitled to think its ok and point a finger at me for being opposed to that opinion.

However i for one, do care and am not scared to say so either

so maybe when your picture inadvertently appears in a post about some unsavoury situation then blame yourself for allowing it to happen and saying nothing

for the record , i think chonburi has a great immigration center, i have been visiting since it was on Soi 9 in Pattaya

Yes, I have no problems with images being taken of me in an official context. Which, I sincerely believe, is the situation here.

I also have had business with Immigration in Pattaya / Jomtien since their time in Soi 9, close to 40 years in fact. Have had nothing but good service during my countless connections with the Immigration officers hence my absolute lack of concern about the issues raised by you. As for your comment about my picture inadvertently appearing in some unsavoury situation -<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
inflammatory comment removed

Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration Desk 8 (retirement) does take a picture when you pick up your passport - usually the following day - they have doing this for 2 or 3 years now.  I renewed my annual extension at the end of June, first in line, 2 or 3 minutes to check documents and pay fee, then told to come back next day to pick up passport (usual procedure) - no picture was taken at that time.   When I did pick it up, the photo was taken with non-phone camera (but past couple of times, they used a mobile phone camera).  I didn't bother to look this time, but in the past they had a sign that you had to pick up your passport in person (that sign went up when they started taking the photos).

• Like 1