“Buddy dive” planned for Tham Luang rescue – news report

18 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Why would anyone say this? Diving is not that difficult.  Surely there are some good Thai seal divers that have cave experience.   

Yes, this is very famous that this country is full of champions, this is why without foreigners we would still not even know where are the kids...

19 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I have lived and worked here for 23 years thanks for asking.  And I am telling you that if, God forbid, something goes wrong on this mission they will NOT be blaming the foreign volunteers.  It is utterly ridiculous to believe they would.

I think you are totally wrong. Thai never are, and it's only foreigners who will be blamed...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I have lived and worked here for 23 years thanks for asking.  And I am telling you that if, God forbid, something goes wrong on this mission they will NOT be blaming the foreign volunteers.  It is utterly ridiculous to believe they would.

No, it's utter ridiculous - to use your terminology - to believe they wouldn't.  It's simply not in the Thai psyche to accept blame for anything.  But maybe you live in a different Thailand than I do.  Either way, you have your opinion, which I can respect even if I disagree with it, and I have mine. 

17 minutes ago, USNret said:

That's not what "buddy dive" means.  Buddy dive is when you have 2 people connected to a single tank. The boys will not have to carry their own tank, which also means more bouyancy for them, one less tank to monitor, and less equipment to remove or get tangled in the tight spots. It's a smart move. 

Not so - "The buddy system is the situation which occurs when two divers of similar interest and equal experience and ability share a dive, continuously monitoring each other throughout the entry, the dive and the exit, and remaining within such distance that they could render immediate assistance to each other if required."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_diving

So not necessarily using the same tank - even we lowly recreational divers should be buddy diving at all times!  Some very experienced rescue and military divers do dive solo if the situation requires it - if they do, they would usually carry a "pony bottle" - that's not the case here but just to correct your misunderstanding.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Bickering and Thai bashing posts have been removed

The whole world has come together wishing for the success of this rescue effort and Thais everywhere are watching, waiting and praying.

This is definitely not the time for petty squabbles nor Thai bashing. Whatever the outcome, this country has done an exceptional job managing a very complex emergency.

Sheryl, I hear what you are saying and totally agree the rank and file has done an exceptional job executing what they were ordered to do. It is unfortunate leadership and management was not up to the task and that is why we face the dire emergency today extracting these kids in less than ideal conditions. If this was to be the course of action it should have gone down two days ago, not on the day that was forecasted for rain for the last week. The underling theme throughout has been reaction as opposed to proaction. Again let me say the folks carrying out the orders are heroes all. The kids have been outstanding. There can be nothing but accolades to the coach who actually insured we would have a rescue rather than recovery mission. IMHO these are the reasons why we have such a hectic last minute emergency situation that could possibly have been avoided leaving better options.

From day one central control should have been established with an experienced crisis emergency expert in charge, not the governor. The emergency should have been segregated into different tasks each with priorities so as to be able to multi-task more efficiently. Absolute primary items from 7/24 should have been essential life support for when the kids were found and of course the search for the kids. The second part went as well as could be expected and much was learned about the effect rain might have on the rescue. The one glaring misstep was a lack of pumping capacity which still exists, no excuses in 2018 to have more than less. Possibility that the kids would already be out if leadership was more proactive.

From the morning of 7/24 there should have been a committee of experts focusing only on life support once the kids were found.

-food/water

-breathable air

-sheltering in place

-logistics in case of rising water

The keyway set up by the divers was excellent and could have handled everything needed to insure long term survival buying time for a preferable option than we are witnessing today.

-food/water>>>>done but it was stated a 4 month supply would be sent? Where was it to be stored

-breathable air>>> this turned out to be the most difficult and was compounded by the fact there were hundreds in the cave. Once the rain began, fewer in the cave may have eliminated the problem. In any case a contingency plan should have been ready and lines installed during the search process or undertaken as soon as the kids were located. No proactive thinking here turned out to be critical. ie; wasted time on fiber optic could have used to piping in air. 

The last two items I posted an idea that was totally vetoed. I still think it is a proven, tested system which could have been delivered anywhere a diver could go. This could have been in place the day after the kids were found and would have completed the list of vital requirements to keep the kids safe until better options became available or the dry season arrived. If you could deliver one of these units you could deliver as many as required. They could house the kids and seals, doctors and even a tutor to keep the kids busy. Storage and waste

The units measure: 3'10" long x 1'10" wide x 1'8" high. or about the size of an eight year old child.

http://dewolfmaritime.com/products/1/docs/datasheet/8TOSRContRound.pdf

Should this extraction be aborted I hope the management can learn from it and become more proactive. At this point we have to go with the  poor hand we've been dealt, hope for the best, prepare for the worst which I believe is where leadership dropped the ball. I am not bashing anyone just trying to illustrate how things could have been done better or possibly be implemented should this extraction fail to materialize.

Edited by JAZZDOG
typo
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Not anti Thai & doesn't need a genius to do some basic maths from the information provided over the duration of the mission

Nothing wrong with your numbers I think. It's your personal spin that is the anti Thai element. I don't suppose you know, the rate of rainfall, the rate of change in water levels ... that it's too late. You made that part up.

19 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Sheryl, I hear what you are saying and totally agree the rank and file has done an exceptional job executing what they were ordered to do. It is unfortunate leadership and management was not up to the task and that is why we face the dire emergency today extracting these kids in less than ideal conditions. If this was to be the course of action it should have gone down two days ago, not on the day that was forecasted for rain for the last week. The underling theme throughout has been reaction as opposed to proaction. Again let me say the folks carrying out the orders are heroes all. The kids have been outstanding. There can be nothing but accolades to the coach who actually insured we would have a rescue rather than recovery mission. IMHO these are the reasons why we have such a hectic last minute emergency situation that could possibly have been avoided leaving better options.

From day one central control should have been established with an experienced crisis emergency expert in charge, not the governor. The emergency should have been segregated into different tasks each with priorities so as to be able to multi-task more efficiently. Absolute primary items from 7/24 should have been essential life support for when the kids were found and of course the search for the kids. The second part went as well as could be expected and much was learned about the effect rain might have on the rescue. The one glaring misstep was a lack of pumping capacity which still exists, no excuses in 2018 to have more than less. Possibility that the kids would already be out if leadership was more proactive.

From the morning of 7/24 there should have been a committee of experts focusing only on life support once the kids were found.

-food/water

-breathable air

-sheltering in place

-logistics in case of rising water

The keyway set up by the divers was excellent and could have handled everything needed to insure long term survival buying time for a preferable option than we are witnessing today.

-food/water>>>>done but it was stated a 4 month supply would be sent? Where was it to be stored

-breathable air>>> this turned out to be the most difficult and was compounded by the fact there were hundreds in the cave. Once the rain began, fewer in the cave may have eliminated the problem. In any case a contingency plan should have been ready and lines installed during the search process or undertaken as soon as the kids were located. No proactive thinking here turned out to be critical. ie; wasted time on fiber optic could have used to piping in air. 

The last two items I posted an idea that was totally vetoed. I still think it is a proven, tested system which could have been delivered anywhere a diver could go. This could have been in place the day after the kids were found and would have completed the list of vital requirements to keep the kids safe until better options became available or the dry season arrived. If you could deliver one of these units you could deliver as many as required. They could house the kids and seals, doctors and even a tutor to keep the kids busy. Storage and waste

The units measure: 3'10" long x 1'10" wide x 1'8" high. or about the size of an eight year old child.

http://dewolfmaritime.com/products/1/docs/datasheet/8TOSRContRound.pdf

Should this extraction be aborted I hope the management can learn from it and become more proactive. At this point we have to go with the  poor hand we've been dealt, hope for the best, prepare for the worst which I believe is where leadership dropped the ball. I am not bashing anyone just trying to illustrate how things could have been done better or possibly be implemented should this extraction fail to materialize.

I would like to review your sources, JAZZDOG, since you are making accusations and claims that suggest either insider knowledge or access to information that I have not seen.

Edited by todlad

That's not what "buddy dive" means.  Buddy dive is when you have 2 people connected to a single tank. The boys will not have to carry their own tank, which also means more bouyancy for them, one less tank to monitor, and less equipment to remove or get tangled in the tight spots. It's a smart move. 
Where did you get that from? Maybe it has a different meaning in different fields but usually each person has their own equipment and tank which can be shared by the other in case of emergency
  • Like 1

I'm not trying to stir things up but all this second-guessing on what the authorities should have / could have done, or what they should do, is kind of pointless when we don't even have definitive information since it is all coming from 2nd hand media reports,  many of which are unsubstantiated. 

None of us are in "the thick of it" or privy to the minute to minute developments and on-the-spot decisions that MUST be made in a timely way without the luxury of "armchair analysis".  This is a race for time, and life & death decisions must be being made.  

We should save all of this debate for LATER when all the facts are known and can be intelligently debated if that's your goal. 

Right now we should just stick to known facts and perhaps informed conjecture, but not criticism of people who are doing the best they can in an almost impossible and unforgiving situation. 

Somebody has to make the hard decisions and it takes a lot of courage to do that when people's lives are at stake, and there are no "right" answers.  I certainly would not want to be in those peoples' shoes right now, and I think they deserve everyone's support and encouragement for their efforts, not second-guessing of their decisions.

Edited by Kohsamida

3 minutes ago, todlad said:

I would like to review your sources, JAZZDOG, since you are making accusations and claims that suggest either insider knowledge or access to information that I have not seen.

What sources do you need. One only needs to have followed this operation to come to the conclusions I stated. Ask yourself these questions and get back with me.

-Why did they not have more than enough pumping capacity delivered from day 1. They were still bringing in pumps on day 14? No excuses for that.

-Why did they not have a contingency plan for piping in air from day 1. They have had 16 days to install air lines?

-Why did they have no plan to shelter the kids in place that would float?

I don't need sources to see it never took place and because it never took place is why we are resorting to this emergency extraction all agree is very high risk.

• Sad 1