Rescuers begin evacuation of 'Tham Luang 13'

33 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Classic mouth piece under the conditions and who is using them I would suggest is a pre-cursor to disaster. 

I know what to do with a mouth piece regulator if my buddy passes out. I he did and wore a leaky full face mask I'd freak out...

The boys will probably receive some relaxing meds, to avoid any panic attacks under water. But not too much, they need to breath oxygene and be alert so the divers can control them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Indeed it is not, and be forewarned I am in a "take no prisoners" mood when it comes to such posts in this thread.

Keep it constructive, useful or positive or keep it to yourselves.

Am I so candid? 

"When I read  "What could possibly go wrong?" I saw no harm at all thinking maybe, on the contrary, the meaning was with all this help what could possibly go wrong, of course, nothing.

Or a question of somebody knowing nothing about scuba diving, it seems I was the only one understanding this way? 

47 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Changing tanks is a classic procedure when deep diving, for instance at decompressions stops 9 meters, 6 meters and 3 meters. Sometime the 3 meter decompression is on O2, but this needs careful calculation of the duration of the stop.

This won't be the case here as there won't be any significant depth. The main risk will be  the kids hyperventilating in conjunction with an unexpected duration of the dive.

You don't reconnect your regulator to the new tank, you just switch regulator, every tank must of course be fitted with a regulator and possibly octopus. I don't know how the use of full face masks affects this. Actually the only benefit, as far as I can see, of full face masks is the possibility of voice com. But I have always thought that a classic mouth piece is much more convenient, hence safer.

Mouth piece not good for untrained boys in a perilous situation that means panic will be a possibility. No matter how much training possible in a couple of days, everything is forgotten when panic starts. Full face far more fool proof.

Everything is about the possibility of panic in a situation where no one can help due to lack of space. If not for that, they would all be out long ago.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

1200 + dives, most solo with proper solo training, also passed cave dive training and dived a few caves. Handled several life threatening situations including 2x resolving divers in ( make that 3 x - rescuing an instructor who almost drowned in high waves getting back onboard ).

Yes - I have a lot to learn - but - as a very experienced diver having been in confined spaces similar to that video and also experienced zero vis in caves - I can tell you it would be very very unsettling for an inexperienced person

Without dropping names, a very well known cave diver also feels sedation / anti anxiety should be considered

Enjoy your armchair

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Perhaps if they aren't giving the boys anything they will reconsider after getting one or two out, especially if any panic issues show up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It's not a fake video as such, it's just not a video taken in the Tham Luang cave system. However its my understanding that there are sections of the Thai cave not dissimilar to what we see in this video, where it's so narrow that divers have to take their air tanks off and push them ahead of themselves but whereas the water in the video is clear and easy to see through, the water in Tham Luang is silty and extremely difficult to see through in places.

So if anything, that video may be showing conditions that are slightly better than some parts of the route the boys and divers are taking.

The most challenging is the extreme current which hit you without warning and can rip the mask out of position and create panic. Unfortunately the current is always strongest in the middle and weaker at the bottom… The current create a lot of debris moving around so there are no visibility. Such conditions are even challenging for well trained Cave divers so we cant even imagine how it would be for the boys... 

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But whichever way you look at it the divers at the childrens point NEED 5 hours to return so even if they shuttle 2 kids for 2 hours one way and 2 hours back that is still aa very tiring long day. 

Nope. Longest dive is 20 minutes. Divers take one child through their section and return to start point. Debrief with 2 divers waiting to take next child through, probably an hour at most between children. Each diver will make 12- 14 20 minute dives to complete the operation. Very tiring and stressfull but doable. Knowing potholers, as I do, they'll probably sink a fair few pints at the end of the operation!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Am I so candid? 

"When I read  "What could possibly go wrong?" I saw no harm at all thinking maybe, on the contrary, the meaning was with all this help what could possibly go wrong, of course, nothing.

Or a question of somebody knowing nothing about scuba diving, it seems I was the only one understanding this way? 

When I read "what could possibly go wrong" I took it as a facetious stab at Thai rescue crews. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

so how long do the pros take to make the trip one way?

From reports it seems that from cave entrance to where the kids are located it takes them approx 6 hours. The return journey is approx 5 hours as they are going in the direction of water flow.

25 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Doesn't matter if it does. Take as long as necessary, and don't rush it. Rushing is when mistakes happen. They've done the most important part, finding them. Just don't blow it now.

• Like 1

I'm betting that we won't hear anything official until the rescue is complete, official statements are vetted, appropriate officials are gathered for official photos (possibly with some pointing) and the boys are rushed off to the hospital with no unofficial media allowed. And, although I will be upset not witnessing all the action, it's probably best for the boys.

Mouth piece not good for untrained boys in a perilous situation that means panic will be a possibility. No matter how much training possible in a couple of days, everything is forgotten when panic starts. Full face far more fool proof.
Everything is about the possibility of panic in a situation where no one can help due to lack of space. If not for that, they would all be out long ago.

Yep - Panic will most likely occur in very tight spaces where nobody can help them

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nothing on the tv channel I'm watching and not a good idea to do so. Nothing is to do with us and our desire for information.

Read #348 above. 2 out already ?

• Like 1