Fifth boy RESCUED from Tham Luang

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

. We are talking about a group of fit young boys, after a day of rest, the best thing for them would to be out in the fresh air, kicking a ball about in the hospital grounds.

How about a few press ups in between?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DNPBC0 said:

Linked to the highest level of any chain of command in circumstances like this, there needs to be a media spokesperson who is responsible for communicating regular situation-updates and is authorised to respond to questions from journalists.  This should be one of the top lessons to be learned from the cave rescue operation.

Along with others

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

If a child in the West was rescued after 16 days trapped in a cave system, they would certainly be put in some sort of isolation ward until it was proven that the child's immune system was functioning correctly and that the child was clear of secondary shock (something that hasn't been mentioned before that I have read).

Why would you put them in isolation if they are in secondary shock? Immune systems will be fine, they've been properly fed and watered for the last week. Only problem is inactivity due to being perched on a ledge for all this time. Like a bunch of caged tigers!

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

Going by the past weeks events, I’m convinced that whatever the reason it will be for the best interests of the lads. 

I'm convinced it will be done in the best interests of the government.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Why would you put them in isolation if they are in secondary shock? Immune systems will be fine, they've been properly fed and watered for the last week. Only problem is inactivity due to being perched on a ledge for all this time. Like a bunch of caged tigers!

They will be observed for signs of secondary shock, not necessarily be in a state of shock.

13 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

But are they air tanks or oxygen tanks?

Can you fill your tank with pure oxygen?

No! Oxygen becomes rapidly toxic at depth – prolonged exposure to pure oxygen below a few metres can kill you. It is not an appropriate scuba tank gas mixture. Technical divers use pure oxygen on carefully-calculated decompression dives, but this is beyond the scope of recreational diving and should not be attempted. Oxygen is also highly reactive and can make other substances flammable. Safety training is necessary to work with pure oxygen.

http://www.elitedivingagency.com/articles/scuba-tank-gas-mixture-divers-use/

Edited by ttrd

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Al J says it's over for the day, so 8 out. As I said, probably only enough air for 4 trips, but what does that mean for the coach? Another night in the cave?

Yes

Because tomorrow they will do 4 & then the Doc / coach & others will come out 

23 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Can you fill your tank with pure oxygen?

No! Oxygen becomes rapidly toxic at depth – prolonged exposure to pure oxygen below a few metres can kill you. It is not an appropriate scuba tank gas mixture. Technical divers use pure oxygen on carefully-calculated decompression dives, but this is beyond the scope of recreational diving and should not be attempted. Oxygen is also highly reactive and can make other substances flammable. Safety training is necessary to work with pure oxygen.

http://www.elitedivingagency.com/articles/scuba-tank-gas-mixture-divers-use/

Actually you can if you don't dive deeper than 6 meters. When I was young special ops  used it in "closed cycle" apparatus to blow up ships or installations behind ennemi lines. Obvious benefit of this type of gear is the absence of bubbles.. I guess that our days the young ones use some more modern gear.

Quite interesting Australian media is reporting progress faster than TV. The situation seems to have captured attention world-wide. It will be a great result if everyone can get out safely.