Video: Elon Musk is INSIDE Tham Luang cave testing rescue sub

webfact

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

If safety can be improved by using modern tech, why wouldn't you use it? I think the mini-sub is brilliant, and bear in mind conditions in the cave can rapidly change at any time due to heavy rainfall. Only the people actually doing the rescuing would be in a position to assess the risks.

At the end of the day the way that works is the best way.

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

If safety can be improved by using modern tech, why wouldn't you use it? I think the mini-sub is brilliant, and bear in mind conditions in the cave can rapidly change at any time due to heavy rainfall. Only the people actually doing the rescuing would be in a position to assess the risks.

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

They have tested in for 10 mins in a pool. It may be a brilliant piece of equipment in a year after numerous refinements, checks, tests etc etc. It will not and should not be even being considered as a viable option in this rescue, something i am sure Elon and his team are well aware of that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You missed the point about changing conditions - i.e. flooding of tunnels that were dry yesterday and much stronger currents. What worked yesterday may not work today, or tomorrow. At the very least, what was reasonably safe yesterday may be very dangerous today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

They have tested in for 10 mins in a pool. It may be a brilliant piece of equipment in a year after numerous refinements, checks, tests etc etc. It will not and should not be even being considered as a viable option in this rescue, something i am sure Elon and his team are well aware of that.

It's a sealed capsule, not a rocket engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is just crazy.

Leave the boys and the divers alone and go back to Australia in your private jet and invent stuff.  Too late and not enough tests..

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Chang_paarp said:

Might be useful to transport multiple air tanks to make the resupply job a little easier.

excepting that air tanks are not flexible; thereby negating the design, for your suggested purpose ? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

He's leaving it here, so maybe the Thais can adapt it for space flight. Let the great divers carry on their brave, selfless task. All out soon.

It'll get used at the next rocket festival....

Also, I hear that Tesla are planning on opening a Thai dealership...

?

Nice they he popped on over. Raising the international profile of such tragedies will hopefully push the authorities into taking action to prevent more. I'd love to know what measures were in place to make people aware or prevent the altogether from going into a cave which has a well known annual flooding problem.

Getting back to musk. We all knew their wasn't enough space to fit such a contraption through the tighter tunnel spaces, so there is no reason to think he didn't as well. Kind of makes his efforts seem superfluous.

1 hour ago, pegman said:

What if one of those remaining kids becomes incapacitated? What then smart guy? How long would this project have taken to produce? Days or a week, not hours. Plus fly it over personally all at his own expense. At the risk of sounding Trump like I'll just say, "Great Canadian guy, EH!".

South African?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Lazybones said:

And stated it loud and clear that the Thai government requested him to do it!

So on having this cave problem with many other foreign experts here, the Thai Government thought, okay who can we contact to help, Oh yes, well known rescue diver Elon Musk!. What complete and utter twaddle......

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

So on having this cave problem with many other foreign experts here, the Thai Government thought, okay who can we contact to help, Oh yes, well known rescue diver Elon Musk!. What complete and utter twaddle......

Who you gonna call? ..........

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chivo said:

In a situation as threatening as this, it is wise to have as many back-up plans in place as possible. If one kid can’t dive for some reason, (passes out, panics...) the sub is there in case. Smart. Thoughtful. Generous. Yes the divers are doing an amazing kick-ass job. And their plan should be followed first. But this is great of Elon Musk. Think positive. 

^Proof that this was a well thought out PR exercise?

No need for guinea pigs considering that they have a tried and true extraction method. 

However, for future reference, perhaps the Thai government should issue him a permit to test the sub in the cave labyrinth afterwards should future rescues in other caves be necessary.  Doubt if we'll see this fiasco at Tham Luang again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sup3r1or said:

For all the haters etc, yes I agree its too late. He should have done it earlier. However what about other billionaires like Bill Gates, Tim Cook,  Warren B, Paul Allen, Richard Branson etc.? Nobody ever tried to help or step-in from that group of people. Musk may have been late, but he tried and done what he could. So props to him for that. 

Since when are the very rich really philanthropic.

• Haha 1