Breaker for wet areas?

carlyai

If it's a GFCI, that will be good protection in the areas you mention.  BUT if you already have RCD/RCBO protecting the circuit at the CU, it would be redundant.
True, but maybe it will trip a poofteenth of a second before the main house one. Also probably nothing wrong with redundancy. Could be good in the bathroom where you're not supposed to use a hair drier and many people do.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, carlyai said:

Could be good in the bathroom where you're not supposed to use a hair drier and many people do.

It really depends on the hair drier, the plugin versions are strictly banned but there are permanently wired versions designed for bathroom use like this one.

IMG_4401.thumb.PNG.3e1b5635338f58ad7ea57e87dc604df8.PNG

It really depends on the hair drier, the plugin versions are strictly banned but there are permanently wired versions designed for bathroom use like this one.

IMG_4401.thumb.PNG.3e1b5635338f58ad7ea57e87dc604df8.PNG
There's nothing strictly banned, in the real world, in Thailand.

So my feeling is that if your wife/husband continues to use a hairdryer in the bathroom, it's probably better to have one if these power outlets installed.

Anyway I just put it out there, and if I was rebuilding a new house I would certainly be using some of these power outlets.

I need to check out one of the Safe-T-Cut units, I'll have to buy one (you can now guarantee I won't see them for sale now).

It looks like you can daisy-chain more outlets and have them protected by the RCD in the first outlet. This could be very handy and cost reducing.

• Like 1

I need to check out one of the Safe-T-Cut units, I'll have to buy one (you can now guarantee I won't see them for sale now).

It looks like you can daisy-chain more outlets and have them protected by the RCD in the first outlet. This could be very handy and cost reducing.

When you buy it, here's a sign to go with it.20180615_084040.jpeg

On 7/11/2018 at 9:36 AM, Crossy said:

I have 5 of these RCD outlets. The oldest one is about 4 years old. 2 are wired in the daisy chain method. The outlet has an input connection and an output connection to add down line outlets. They did a redesign a year or two ago and I do not like these as well as the first ones I bought. The LED indicators are almost impossible to see on the new ones and they do not install easily in to "standard" boxes well. Believe I paid in the order of 600 B per unit direct from Safe T Cut and sent a couple back on warranty and they replaced no problems. I am happy with them and what they do. Good service from the factory rep

• Like 1

Safe-T-Cut are everywhere in Thailand and it will protect your whole house and for a fee they will comes and install it for you.

In UK as an example there are no outlets in a bathroom save one near the mirror for an electric shaver. Best to keep electricity away from a wet area. 

Pump room may have one outlet for each pump which should be disconnected before working. Etc, etc.

Mop up surplus standing water before working. 

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

In UK as an example there are no outlets in a bathroom save one near the mirror for an electric shaver. Best to keep electricity away from a wet area. 

17th (and now 18th) edition of the IEE regs now allow proper outlets in the bathroom (like the rest of Europe), must be outside the zones and RCD protected. 

48 minutes ago, Crossy said:

17th (and now 18th) edition of the IEE regs now allow proper outlets in the bathroom (like the rest of Europe), must be outside the zones and RCD protected. 

Ahh...........the IEE regulations!!

I think it was the 13th edition when I was an apprentice and just before I was due to take the final certificate after five years (Full Technological Certificate, was the name) they changed to the 14th edition, so much of the revision was spent looking at the differences.

Anyway one thing that always amazed me was the seeming anomalies and one that sticks in my mind was the regulation about not installing any electrical apparatus under a sprinkler head.

And then a little further down the page it said that if this cannot be avoided, then the following methodology should be used.................!!

Having said that, Thailand could well do with something like this so that those young lads coming through an apprenticeship, if there is such a thing here, know what they are doing when they complete their training. Otherwise you get the guys who learnt from somebody who learned from somebody who learned from somebody else by watching for 10 minutes and that's the sort of training the guy probably had when he quoted, "Thai electricity doesn't need an earth".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Having said that, Thailand could well do with something like this ...

Actually BS7671 is way too proscriptive, meaning that the designer is responsible for achieving the required results, way too much thinking (and testing) required.

Thailand needs something akin to AS3000 or the NEC which are prescriptive, i.e. "do it like this and it's to code".

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

Well yes sort of,

The 17th Edition introduced another important change: Regulation 701.512.3 permits 230 V socket outlets to be installed in a room containing a bath or shower, providing they are installed 3m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1.

But it means that you have to have a rather big bathroom to qualify.